MTR's

sbonek

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Bonek
Hi all... I've been reading the board for awhile, and find lots of good info.

I have a question that I'm hoping somebody can steer me in the right direction to finding the answer. In regards to MTR's, how do you find out when the normal hours of operation are?

When I got Wx briefing yesterday, the briefer said the hours are on the chart (St. Louis), but I couldn't find it. Only the MOA's, etc.

sbonek said:
Hi all... I've been reading the board for awhile, and find lots of good info.

I have a question that I'm hoping somebody can steer me in the right direction to finding the answer. In regards to MTR's, how do you find out when the normal hours of operation are?

When I got Wx briefing yesterday, the briefer said the hours are on the chart (St. Louis), but I couldn't find it. Only the MOA's, etc.
You're supposed to refer all questions to the approprate Flight Service station....oh, wait. :rolleyes:

I don't know if they have seperate schedules for routes, or they even are scheduled. Don't they use those enroute, i.e. for going from place to place as needed?

Last edited:
I thought the same thing when the briefer told me he "didn't have any information" on the MTR's and I needed to refer to the chart.

Last week when I called for a briefing, the briefer did mention some standard hours of operation, and any times outside of those would be done via a NOTAM. That briefer last week also referred to the "normal" hours being on the chart.

From Greg's link

The scheduling activity shall confirm on a daily basis (to the extent practicable, prior to 2400 hours) with the tie-in AFSS/FSS of the planned utilization of the route. Unless otherwise agreed to, such scheduling shall be accomplished at least 2 hours prior to use. Scheduling agencies shall provide an hourly schedule for each route which includes route number, aircraft type and number, proposed entry/exit time, and altitude. Scheduling agencies should make every effort to pass changes as soon as possible to the tie-in AFSS/FSS when a particular route is closed or a scheduled aircraft cancels.

"Unless otherwise agreed" suggests that some facilities have standing scheduled hours.

I live under a VR and can pretty much count on a T-1 or F-16 making a pass on Saturday mornings when the wx is good.

See and avoid.

Last edited:
Back