Mt. Washington

Ahh.. I remember those days in my youth.. driving the Auto Road to the summit.. and that was before the nice new concrete building. Hiked the mountain to the top once. The RailRoad to the top is a nice trip coming up the west side.

More so why today I flew from VGT to SGU and back. Sunny and 67F. G1000 computed wind at 9000MSL over the Virgin River Gorge at 40knts, but there was nary a bump. Down to 5000MSL and 20knts and calm on the ground (2200MSL at VGT).

Used to go to camp up there (and still have some land I'm meaning to build on). Nearly died one summer while leading a trip on the Presidentials. Fog came in in like 20 minutes followed by COLD air in July while we were up on a ridge. We eventually made it to the observatory and were able to cook some soup and rewarm.

Love that place, especially the old pump organ they had in one of the huts on the Presidentials (Mizpah Springs? or am I thinking the wrong range?) and the fact that it was carried up by hand.

Fond memories of Tuckerman's Ravine, the summit and riding a frisky filly on Lionshead Ridge. What direction do those high winds come from, off the Great Lakes?

Last edited:
Definitely not a fun winter/early spring hang-out... highest recorded surface winds on record there (over 200 mph!!).
Out of the southeast, BTW... very cool old weather maps on this site:

http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/recordwind.php

Still haven't driven or flown over there yet... one of these days. I've hiked Mt. Marcy, though, which is pretty awesome, too.

Last edited:
I haven't actually gotten to go there yet, but flying in and around Lebanon, NH and Augusta, Me, I used to see it pretty much every morning on my way to New York/Boston. It was really neat last spring to watch the snow slowly melt from the bottom upwards, even long after the last snow had disappeared from the ground around us.

Back