Mt Washington NH (KHIE) scenic flight?

OtisAir

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
OtisAir
Tomorrow morning we're flying up to spend the rest of the week in the Mt Washington area of New Hampshire. We're meeting Beth's folks up there and I'd like to take them on a scenic flight in the area but haven't been up that way before. I know it borders Canada just a few miles North but plan to stay VMC and VFR with them on board so I'll keep the flight in the US. Also, wanted to get some feedback from others that have been in this area and what may be some fun flight seeing areas.

Thanks!

Shane Mt. Washington is awesome but check the Weather as the Mountain makes some very nasty weather very fast. http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/

I suspect there has been some nasty wave action up there.

As for other things to do in NH ping AdamB as he lives there, but I like the presidential range and Franconia Notch

If you're in the area later in the week, the sea-plane flyin in Greenville Maine starts Thursday, I think. They've got a runway a short distance from the seaplane base, with shuttles running.

While you're on the ground:

It's not too late in the year for a hike up Mt. Washington, but if you don't have the time or the energy, the auto road is there, and the Cog Railway is a unique experience.

As others have noted, watch the weather. I've seen it go from sunny in the 70s to snowing in less than 45 minutes on those ridges - the local weather guessers CAN tell you when the patterns are unstable and rapid changes are possible, they just can't tell you what they'll be.

The Kancamagus highway is a great scenic drive. North Conway offers lots of ways to painlessly separate you from your cash. Horsefeathers is a recomended restaurant, and there's a nice funky mexican place there but I can't recall the name at the moment.

I spent my summers as a child up there, and actually have property in East Madison that I haven't gotten around to building on yet. Now I miss it.

Cool! Thanks. I'll post some pictures after I get back in town.

As for getting to North Conway and the approaches to the mountain itself, eastern slopes regional (IZG) in Fryeburg,ME may be a good option. Conway used to have an airport, it is some sort of outlet mall today :incazzato:.

As for getting to North Conway and the approaches to the mountain itself, eastern slopes regional (IZG) in Fryeburg,ME may be a good option. Conway used to have an airport, it is some sort of outlet mall today :incazzato:.
Yeah I know... and even though Fryeburg is probably less than 10 NM as the crow flies from East Madison, it's still a fairly long 45+ minute drive.

That's why I will need either a helo or an STOL seaplane so I can ferry from Fryeburg to Purity Lake to get to my lot.

Saw Shane and Beth at the airport this morning. Blustery out, so I'm sure their flight was interesting. --> FlightAware Track

Shane, PM when you get back, I have your departure on video if you want it.

It's beautiful up here (below the clouds). Loc approach forever OTS. I talked to the airport manager. Going on the COG railway tomorrow. Thanks Rob, absolutely would love to see it. Thanks.

Took the COG railroad up to Mount Washington today, then afterwards, went and jumped in the plane and flew up and over Mount Washington. It was a gorgeous day with light winds. Then, just 15 minutes ago, was headed over to the bar (where there is WIFI) and came face to face with a freakin' black bear. I nearly shat a Piper Cub! Honest Abe. Headed back to Philly tomorrow, see ya'll in WV in a couple of weeks! also, will post pics of Mount Washington upon my return.

Pictures (Attached). I tried to post pictures using the same process as I normally do and kept on getting red X's. Here is a link to a few of the COG Railway event and then one from above Mount Washington looking down on the observatory and one of the trains headed back down the mountain. If someone has better luck posting individual photo's from this link, please help yourself.

Thanks again for the suggestions while we were up in Mount Washington. We had a ball! :)

Cool photos! I would like to visit the area in October, but the schedule is starting to look shaky.

Back