MSP Bravo Transition

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I'm going to be in Minneapolis next weekend. I'll be flying into Crystal but I might run down to Lakeville before heading home. The 27-mile flight between KMIC and KLVN promises to be the most complicated part of the trip, because the direct route is through the edge of the Class B surface area. What's the best choice? Skirt around the surface area at 2,000 MSL (under the 2,300 shelf), or fly right over the top of KMSP after getting clearance from Approach? Can I call for clearance to transition the Bravo airspace while on the ground at Crystal? It is only 8 nm from the Crystal airport to hitting the Class B surface area so that sounds like a great way to get behind the airplane.

I'd suggest flying over Flying Cloud FCM at 2500 and request a delta transition from tower then to lakeville. I doubt Minneapolis approach will give you anything in Bravo on that route from my experience.

What he said; or if you're not feeling chatty, go to 3,500, fly west over the north side of Lake Minnetonka, then head south and around to air lake. It's a nice view.

Your chances of getting cleared through any part of the bravo are slim in my experience. I've only gotten it once going IFR into STP.

Some years ago it wasn't a problem getting a VFR clearance from ANE, Anoka County to LVN, Lakeville at 4,000" directly across the top of MSP. I'm sure that has changed somewhat, especially since the new runway, 17/35 was built.
When coming from the south, we used to get vectors right over MSP and right up runway 4 and then the slam dunk from 3000' into STP just after passing MSP. Now we seem to regularly get routed just a few miles across the west side of MSP at 4000' and into STP, St Paul when we're coming from the southwest or south. Of course all that's on an IFR plan.

If you decide to run around the west side, you can use GEP, Gopher and FRM, Farmington VORs to follow intersecting radials to keep you clear of FCM. It would be pretty easy to fly it at 3000' or 3500'. I would at least listen up on approach or use FF to stay aware of other traffic.

Back