msfs 2004 add on scenery folder missing

igottafly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
igottafly
when i tried to add on some scenery there was no folder to put it in
with out reinstalling how can i add this missing folder?

igottafly said:
when i tried to add on some scenery there was no folder to put it in
with out reinstalling how can i add this missing folder?

That error means that there is a problem with one of the addon sceneries, not the folder itself. I had created this problem myself a few times. Easiest way to fix it would be to remove each add on one by one from the scenery config inside MSFS and find out which one gives the error.

NickDBrennan said:
That error means that there is a problem with one of the addon sceneries, not the folder itself. I had created this problem myself a few times. Easiest way to fix it would be to remove each add on one by one from the scenery config inside MSFS and find out which one gives the error.

Thanks for the reply, Nick.
I did not need the folder until now, this is the first time i tried to add to addon scenery.
I was attempting to get Kitty Hawk. When I tried to extract to addon scenery folder, i discovered it does not exist in ms9. I dont want to uninstall
because i have some kool ga planes, saved flights etc. i forsee a few hours of
saving this uninstalling that instaling this etc, etc etc,

cherokeeflyboy said:
Thanks for the reply, Nick.
I did not need the folder until now, this is the first time i tried to add to addon scenery.
I was attempting to get Kitty Hawk. When I tried to extract to addon scenery folder, i discovered it does not exist in ms9. I dont want to uninstall
because i have some kool ga planes, saved flights etc. i forsee a few hours of
saving this uninstalling that instaling this etc, etc etc,

You shouldn't have to uninstall. Will MSFS not even start? If it'll start, just remove the add-on scenery from the setup in MSFS. Main menu, there is an option called Scenery Manager (or something, being at work, I can't see for sure).

The error you are getting refers to a probelm with one piece of add-on scenery, not all of MSFS. When I was trying to design scenery (I gave up because I suck at it), I got that error msg all the time.

cherokeeflyboy said:
I dont want to uninstall
because i have some kool ga planes, saved flights etc.

If you do have to reinstall FS2004 for any reason, a few second of effort will save your add on planes and I don't think uninstall will delete your saved flights but that's fixable too:

Airplanes: Make a copy the Aircraft directory elsewhere. Or at least copy the new planes directories elsewhere.
Saved flights and recorded flights are in My Documents \ Flight Simulator Files.
Reinstall the software and dump the file directories back there and they're useable again. I've done a couple recoveries this way when FS went bonkers for some unknown reason and it worked fine.

FS2004, no guarantee on the other versions...

I don't think I am communicating my problem very well.
I have NO add on scenery this was a first attempt.
The error message has always been there at start up but I just click ok and the startup continues. the game works ok after that.
I wanted to add Kitty Hawk, and discovered there is no where to export it to.
I will attempt to attach screen shot of exploring fs9.

igottafly said:
I don't think I am communicating my problem very well.
I have NO add on scenery this was a first attempt.
The error message has always been there at start up but I just click ok and the startup continues. the game works ok after that.
I wanted to add Kitty Hawk, and discovered there is no where to export it to.
I will attempt to attach screen shot of exploring fs9.

Ok, I understand now. You should be able to create a folder called "Add On Scenery" or whatever you wanted, even "IGottaFly Scenery." It doesn't matter what you call it.

Then you want to put the scenery files in that folder. From within MSFS, you can specify where you want to look for the scenery files. From the main menu, you can choose to add scenery to it, and from there, it will ask you where to look. Just navigate to the folder where you have the scenery installed.

I hope this helps!

I'll bet a BGL file didn't get installed, or accidently deleted somewhere along the way, or a path is wrong in the scenery.cfg file. Now MSFS is looking for it on start up, and gives that error when it can't find it.

Try locating your Scenery.cfg (usually in the FS9 root directory folder). Open it and look for the section with "[Area.038]". Under that should be the name of that scenery.. like "Local=XXXX" with a name or full path in place of the X's. Don't change anything in the Scenery.cfg file, but make a note of that Local, and then start up Flight Sim. Go to Settings/Scenery Library. If that scenery area is activated, deactivate it by removing the X in the box. Then exit FS9 & try it. If you don't get the error again, you'll know what scenery is causing the error and we can fix it.

ausrere said:
I'll bet a BGL file didn't get installed, or accidently deleted somewhere along the way, or a path is wrong in the scenery.cfg file. Now MSFS is looking for it on start up, and gives that error when it can't find it.

Try locating your Scenery.cfg (usually in the FS9 root directory folder). Open it and look for the section with "[Area.038]". Under that should be the name of that scenery.. like "Local=XXXX" with a name or full path in place of the X's. Don't change anything in the Scenery.cfg file, but make a note of that Local, and then start up Flight Sim. Go to Settings/Scenery Library. If that scenery area is activated, deactivate it by removing the X in the box. Then exit FS9 & try it. If you don't get the error again, you'll know what scenery is causing the error and we can fix it.

I did exactly what Nick suggested. even named it Igota....Downloaded,extracted Albuquerque, NM, Restarted ms9. No more
error message on start up. Located my ac in Alb. flew and around. the scenery is cool, The designer Forgot the tram tho.

Thanks ALOT folks.

igottafly said:
I did exactly what Nick suggested. even named it Igota....Downloaded,extracted Albuquerque, NM, Restarted ms9. No more
error message on start up. Located my ac in Alb. flew and around. the scenery is cool, The designer Forgot the tram tho.

Thanks ALOT folks.

Glad it helped! I love that scenery. Makes flying around my home town much more exciting :)

Also makes Double Eagle's airport a little closer to reality than the default scenery.

Back