MS Server 2003

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I use MS Server 2003 (quiet - it does what we need it to) and am trying to enable POP3 server on it for out of office e-mail, and it wont start the POP3 server - does anyone work with this?

Are you using Small Business Server or have Exchange installed? By itself, Server 2003 doesn't handle e-mail except as a client.

Brian Austin said:
Are you using Small Business Server or have Exchange installed? By itself, Server 2003 doesn't handle e-mail except as a client.

I've got both. I use exchange over the LAN. I use Outlook Web Access remotely. I'd like to get the POP3 enabled - but it wont start the virtual server.

N2212R said:
I've got both. I use exchange over the LAN. I use Outlook Web Access remotely. I'd like to get the POP3 enabled - but it wont start the virtual server.
Without knowing more about your setup, it's very difficult to troubleshoot over the forums.

I suggest going to http://support.microsoft.com/ and entering "pop3 server 2003" into the search box. I rec'd a ton of hits from it. Scroll through it and see if something looks familiar. Narrow it down with more keywords.

Argh - I think I ran into this same problem just a week or two ago. I think you have to turn on the POP3 service from Services, not from server management. Or something like that...

BillG said:
Argh - I think I ran into this same problem just a week or two ago. I think you have to turn on the POP3 service from Services, not from server management. Or something like that...

BILL - YOU RULE!!!
That's exactly what it was and
It be working!!!

Lucky guess - I could barely remember it. I guess that was the same problem I ran into a couple weeks ago. Thank you, Google, for pointing me the right way...!

Back