MS office

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
does anyone know of a place online to find MS office suite (not advanced, normal, for my laptop) for less than 400 bucks? the laptop didn't have it installed - there is a trial period for it (does this mean I only have to pay for an upgrade??) but after that...

thanks

woodstock said:
does anyone know of a place online to find MS office suite (not advanced, normal, for my laptop) for less than 400 bucks? the laptop didn't have it installed - there is a trial period for it (does this mean I only have to pay for an upgrade??) but after that...

thanks

Beth,

Look carefully at your documents with that laptop. The ones that came with mine specified that all I needed to buy was the upgrade version.

If you can qualify as a student, you can get it a lot cheaper. And oddities, the trial period version that was on my laptop was the student/teacher edition (same software, just cheaper).

Beth, check out your office IT guy. It's possible that they have an employee purchase plan with Microsoft (we do and I'll bet our licensing is smaller than yours) which gives significant discounts to employees.

It's also possible that they have a Home Use program, too. As long as you're employed with the company, you're allowed to use the software on your computer. Different companies choose to publicize that, though.

Sam's Club shows upgrade editions for two different versions of Office for under $300, btw.

Better answer us to download OpenOffice ( www.openoffice.org ), which has all the functionality of MSOfc, without the (1) expense, or (2) designed-in obsolescence. Underwritten by Sun, operates on multiple platforms.

Or, do as I do and use a superior product, WordPerfect Office, which works better in all relevant ways.

WordPerfect remains the standard of excellence for those who want to write, without the software interfering with the process.

I would second getting Open Office. If you must have MS Office, see if you know anyone enrolled in college. A friend told me that his son, a student at an Indiana College, could get MS Office from the bookstore for some ridiculous price like $5 or $10.

OpenOffice.Org is good stuff.

Is it just me or does it seem kind of stupid to have .org be part of the actual name...

Ok, I downloaded the stuff at openoffice.org .

It looks like it works pretty good, but I have only about 10 minutes of experience with it.....

--Matt

Back