MRI question

TRC1969

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TRC
The FAA has asked for a MRI of my brain due to a head injury many years ago. That in itself is simple enough, however that same injury left me with a neuro stimulator in my back to treat back pain. It works very well but it’s obviously constructed with some type of metal. I’m pretty sure MRI is completely off the table. Has anyone been faced with this scenario? Will the FAA simply deny my application if the MRI can’t be done? Is there a work around? As information the MRI following my head injury, but before the stimulator was clear if that even matters.

Hey! Hope all is well.

From my understanding, the panel wants current imaging via an MRI with certain protocols anytime there is a history of TBI. I know that specifically doesn’t answer your question. I doubt they would review without a current MRI though.

You should talk to the MRI facility. While they ask for various implants, etc... in the screening, anything that's well implanted in a section of the body (and/or removed from the area of the scan), usually isn't a problem. They were more concerned that my mask had a piece of spring metal in the nose bridge than my dental implants,etc... I don't even think I had to remove my wedding ring last time.

I checked with the manufacturer this morning (Boston Scientific) and according to what they said my implant is non MRI compliant. However I have read many stories where just as you said MRI is possible. My only concern is what if it’s an absolute no go, is all lost at that point?

If Boston Scientific says it isn’t MRI compliant, you can’t get an MRI. Period. You should also have instructions about what to do if you have surgery in the future.

As to what FAA Medical will say, I don’t know how you’ll separate one SGOTI’s answer from another. Probably best to talk to AOPA Medical and see what they say.

Ferrous metals in the scanner (or in the vicinity of the magnet) is a no go. A gold wedding ring or titanium dental implants are fine. Stainless steel is considered a no go. Original vascular clips were stainless and patients with such were not allowed in the magnet. Newer (relatively) titanium vascular clips are fine. Perhaps the FAA will allow another type of scan since you cannot have a MRI. Various CT modalities may give them what they desire. I agree with discussing this with AOPA medical if you are a member.

I have an MRI-compatible pacer and getting a facility to agree to doing an MRI has become very difficult in the past couple of years. Outpatient imaging? No way. The only place that'll even talk to me is a hospital imaging clinic and even then they're reluctant to the point I won't push the fight. My doctors have all been satisfied with CT scans in lieu of MRI, sometimes with contrast, other times without. I'd talk to your doc and see what he says, then pass his opinion on to the FAA.,

I will do that. There has got to be a way. I can’t be the only airman with metal in his body that needs a MRI for their certificate.

The neuro I am using for this whole FAA process was very uninterested in my CT scans. They want an MRI with hemosiderin protocol.

If Boston Scientific says it isn’t MRI compliant, you can’t get an MRI. Period. You should also have instructions about what to do if you have surgery in the future.

As to what FAA Medical will say, I don’t know how you’ll separate one SGOTI’s answer from another. Probably best to talk to AOPA Medical and see what they say.
AOPA is the last place I would rely on. The guys on the internet are either doctors or have direct experience with the issues. The AOPA medical "experts" are neither. In fact, it was relying on their misadvise was a primary contributor to me being grounded for twelve weeks a while back.

How much life is left on the stimulator? It must be fairly old to be non-MRI compatible. I get my pacer changed this fall. The new one will be able to be switched into MRI mode remotely. No more Medtronics rep having to sit there the whole time. These little machines are pretty impressive.

It was installed in 2015. Scheduled for replacement in 2025.

I guess when I meet with the neurologist unless there is some sort of replacement for MRI with Hemosiderin then I will have him write a letter/note and send for OKC explaining why it can’t be done. If that doesn’t fly then I guess neither do I. Surely there has got to
Be a way around this. I’m damn sure gonna find out before I spend $3800 on a full neurocog exam!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back