Mr Friend Newt

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
My Friend Newt

No, not Gingrich. Just Newt. I found him (her?) living in my garden.

my_friend_newt.jpg

-Rich

Last edited:
"I got better..."

It certainly is a newt, but in the juvenile "red eft" stage of its life. I am amazed to read (below) that your newt has a lifespan of 12 to 15 years! -Skip

From Wikipedia:

The eastern newt, Notophthalmus viridescens, is a common newt of eastern North America. Eastern newts dwell in small lakes, ponds, and streams or near-by wet forests. They can coexist in an aquatic environment with small, noncarnivorous fish, as their skin secretes a poisonous substance when the newt is threatened or injured. They have lifespans of 12 to 15 years in the wild, and may grow to five inches in length. These newts are common aquarium pets, being either collected from the wild or purchased. The strikingly colored (orange) juvenile stage, which is land-dwelling, is often known as the red eft. Some sources blend the general name of the species and the red-spotted newt subspecies name into eastern red-spotted newt (although there is no "western" one).

It certainly is a newt, but in the juvenile "red eft" stage of its life. I am amazed to read (below) that your newt has a lifespan of 12 to 15 years! -Skip

Yeah, it's only a baby. It looks bigger in the picture, but it's less than two inches long fully stretched out.

I have some more pictures I just took with slightly better light (it was cloudy and raining when I took that one -- the neighbors must have thought I'd gone bananas lying on my belly, in the dirt, in the rain, with a camera wrapped in a Dollar General bag). I have to "process" the RAW files and upload some of them to the various stock companies I deal with, as well as my own stock site. I'll resize a few to forum-friendly size and embed them here later or tomorrow.

-Rich

Back