Mr. Dick Martin has gone west

Daleandee

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dale Andee
Saddened to learn of the loss of a good friend and fellow pilot.

You will be missed my friend ... :(

Sorry for your loss. It's horrible when someone you know dies in an aircraft accident.

My condolences on the loss of your good friend. I hope memories of the good times you had together will stay with you always.

Gentlemen ... I appreciate the thoughts, thank you.

I was talking to a family member that thinks much like I do. We both realize that Dick Martin left this world in an airplane crash and it's tragic when people die suddenly. But on the other hand I know many pilots that would rather go quickly doing what they love than rot away in a nursing home while someone else has to come in everyday and clean their backside and change their diaper. Mr. Martin struck me as that kinda guy ...

Wondering what was the cause -

I'd like to know myself as I fly a Sonex with Corvair power. I did email a mutual friend that Dick & I knew that is much closer to the investigation. At this point he's pretty shaken and has no clue as to what the cause was.

Dick built that plane and finished it in 2005. It had a VW conversion on it at that time. I first saw it when we met at a Tennessee fly-in circa 2007. Later he sold it and he and his friend converted it to Corvair power. As I understand it his friend gave his blessing to Dick to fly it whenever he wanted. Both of them had been flying it for about three years after the conversion. He loved the way it flew with more power and sent me a few videos of the conversion work. It appeared to be first class.

It was said that he would fly it about every Sunday for and hour or so. Dick was 83 years young and from my conversations with him he seemed to be quite heathly with good cognitive abilities. Reported weather was good that day so I cannot fathom a guess as to what could have gone wrong ...

Back