MP3 Player Suggetsions N/A

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Well, my Mp3 player is getting dated and doesn't hold anywhere near as much data as I'd like. Does anyone have any suggestions (besides IPod - I will not own an IPod)?

I like the Creative Labs one that I have now...but it just doesn't hold enough data.

I recently bought one, then found out it wasnt napster compatible. with napster for a few bucks a month you can download as many songs as you like to your mp3. you cant burn them to a cd, but you can still listen to them anywhere you go. So, unless your getting your songs (free). make sure its a new type that is compatible with the service you want to use.
Rio makes nice products. I have owned several of em.

gkainz said:
Nick, why? Just curious.

APPLE... it's a cult thing. :)

I've got the Creative Labs Zen Micro. 5gb of space and I haven't run out yet. Although I don't put ALL the songs that I have onto it. If I didn't like the track on CD, I wont like it on MP3!

I do like the FM radio built into it. Its nice when flying and I want a change from what I've got in there already.

gkainz said:
Nick, why? Just curious.

I refuse to purchase a product that requires hacking to get at its full potential, especially when the product is overpriced.

Also - its made by Apple :)

AirBaker said:
APPLE... it's a cult thing. :)

I've got the Creative Labs Zen Micro. 5gb of space and I haven't run out yet. Although I don't put ALL the songs that I have onto it. If I didn't like the track on CD, I wont like it on MP3!

I do like the FM radio built into it. Its nice when flying and I want a change from what I've got in there already.

I was actually looking into the Zen Micro. Any limitations on what kind of MP3 it will accept? I guess this new DRM is getting crazy with MP3 players.

Last edited:
I have the Zen 20GB player. I cant say enough...oh...and its better than Ipod. Take my word for it.

go here for a fair price comparison...just watch out...some vendors are crooks...read their review before purchasing!!!

www.buyersedge.com

For mp3 players I've had:

Small sandisk type (ok for its purpose, doesn't ohld much)

I've also had a 30 gig Creative Labs (physically large, terrible UI)

From there I went Apple and never went back.

First I started out with a Gen II 20 gig ipod. I also bought a mini shortly after that. From there I bought a 30 gig photo Ipod. Now I found myself with three Ipods, They all worked great. Rock solid, Love the UI.

Then came the week where my CFI called me and told me I was going to take my examine that Friday. I sold all of them on Ebay as a 24 hour auction to cover the last minute stuff I had to get done.

Now I find myself wanting one of the video ipods.

So here's a question...

MP3 players are designed so you can rip music onto your computer and then transfer them to your MP3 player right?

Well what with this new little DRM virus Sony's introduced, are there utilities out there that let you rip to an MP3 player without going thru a computer? I'm sure specific hardware is required but still... better than trashing one of my PCs by simply inserting an audio cd...

I like my Zen Micro. It plays Mp3s and WMA files with ease. I've been using Walmart's site to download songs when I need to.

Then interface is actually really easy to use on the Zen Micro. Similar touchpad like features as the iPod.

Also, you can manage your songs without having to use the computer. Which can be nice when you forgot to add a song to a playlist and you're at the gym... :)

Oh, and the rights management isn't an issue so far. You can download the 'plays for sure' update, but since things are working ok right now. I see no reason to jump on that bandwagon.

Oh, and the rights management is not an issue for me on my Zen Micro. There is the 'Playsforsure' update, but since everything is working I do not see the need to jump on that bandwagon yet! :)

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
I refuse to purchase a product that requires hacking to get at its full potential, especially when the product is overpriced.

Also - its made by Apple :)

I was actually looking into the Zen Micro. Any limitations on what kind of MP3 it will accept? I guess this new DRM is getting crazy with MP3 players.

hacking? what do you mean?

and how is the DRm going to affect and MP3 player (today was the first I had heard of this DRM business!)

woodstock said:
hacking? what do you mean?

and how is the DRm going to affect and MP3 player (today was the first I had heard of this DRM business!)

...and explain trashing a PC by inserting a CD?

NickDBrennan said:

Umm... Huh?

I have an iPod. It holds and plays all my music. I listen to podcasts on it as well. It holds my entire 9-day-plus music collection, all 3200-plus digital photos I have on my computer, and has enough room left over to back up my PowerBook's hard drive. Not too many MP3 players can do all that. Plus, the new ones can do video, if you care to.

Also, accessories are very plentiful because of its popularity. I have a TransPod (plugs into 12V in a vehicle, keeps it charged, and has an FM transmitter to play it through the radio) and an iTalk (voice recorder attachment). There are countless others.

So what do you have to hack? Seems I can do more on my iPod than I could do with most players, and I haven't hacked a thing.

You can do like I did and get a Tapwave Zodiac ($200 or less), put in a reasonably sized SD flash card ($80) and have real video (with a BIGGER color screen than the iPod) and audio and games (maybe free ones) with 2D video, motion and built-in stereo speakers, bluetooth, and BTW, it's a full featured Palm 5 PDA.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1649729,00.asp

They went out of business. That means they're really cheap.

I have the WiFi card or mine so I can go online directly. Since it has two SD slots I still have the storage at the same time.

Last edited:
I suppose I should explain my hacking comment (many people quoted and asked).

If I buy a song, its mine. I should be able to copy it from my computer to my MP3 player, back to my computer and to another MP3 player if I want to. I can do it with a CD, or any other media.

IPods limit the usage of an MP3 by using DRM (Digital Rights Management). You can hack the IPod to do what you want it to do (which shouldn't be necessary), but its my understanding that it voids any support you could receive from Apple for it.

DRM is a joke, and in my opinion, violates the very ideas behind copyright laws.

The price is self-explanitory...an example:
30GB Ipod - $299
30GB Creative Labs Zen Jukebox - $219
or!!!
60GB Creative Labs Zen Jukebox - $299

Hmmm.....gotta love Apple.

NickDBrennan said:
If I buy a song, its mine. I should be able to copy it from my computer to my MP3 player, back to my computer and to another MP3 player if I want to. I can do it with a CD, or any other media.

IPods limit the usage of an MP3 by using DRM (Digital Rights Management).

Nick,

Do you think Apple would even be able to sell the songs to begin with if they didn't do DRM? This is not Apple's fault, it's the ******** RIAA! Any legal service that you buy music from uses DRM, this is NOT an Apple/iPod thing.

DRM is also not limited to iPods or even MP3 players in general. DAT tapes (even ones you recorded yourself!), DVD's, etc... Are you saying you don't buy DVD's either? Yes, DVD's were cracked a couple of years ago (heck, so was the "FairPlay" DRM that Apple uses - The software is called "PlayFair" :) ) but they don't "allow" you to copy them even for personal use.

BTW, I wholeheartedly agree that the RIAA and the MPAA have made it so that copyrights no longer work anything like they're supposed to. It's a crock.

You can hack the IPod to do what you want it to do (which shouldn't be necessary),

And isn't. A couple of extra steps and the music is all yours:

1. Buy iTunes music.
2. Burn iTunes music to CD.
3. Rip CD back onto the computer. You're now DRM-free.

Enjoy,

Last edited:
Back