Moving down to KAPA

COFlyBoy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
COFlyBoy
Well, I've finally gotten sick of having my plane at Platte Valley (18V). Its close to my Dad's house and had cheap hangars/gas, but the pigeon s**t and the 50 minute drive was getting really old.
Then the airport owners sent out a letter stating that they are planning to resurface the runway (which needs it) and charge everyone $2500 :yikes:. Very much not in my flying budget.

Sooo, I'll be flying down to FTG on Friday to take the plane in for annual, and then its off to APA to find a place to keep it. I'll probably go with a tiedown for the short term, but I'd like to get into a hangar or shelter before next summer.

Murphy, I think our planes will be getting tended together by R&B.

why not keep it at FTG? Hangars are reaily available, and with E470 and I225 it's really easy to get there, even in a snow storm. I live close to APA but park at FTG for a reason.

Yup, love having R&B work on the cherokee.

Wish it were simple to buy a huge hangar. Splitting the costs of a big ol' hangar at KAPA with heat and lights and bathroom and ... Well you get the idea. It'd be cool. Maybe even the start of a club.

The logistics of the business would be a total pain without a very wealthy person who needed the hangar anyway, renting out some space.

If you end up at KAPA, come on over and say hi at our little aluminum box that houses our flying aluminum box sometime. ;)

Since I'm working close to KAPA now, how about a weekday lunch one of these days?

While I always liked 18V for its ambience, SE-5 replicas, and cheap Avgas, I really, really enjyoyed my hangar at KFTG, and being based there. I'd have preferred KAPA but either couldn't justify the hangar costs, or just plain couldn't get one there. Yes it was a 45 min drive from Lone Tree, but it was worth it.

$2500??? Yikes! Get out now!

I experienced Jabo's for the first time a few weeks ago ... I've been a Brother's BBQ fan for years now, but a co-worker here said "you've got to try this little place that used to be a bbq truck that parked in the church parking lot" ... Not bad!

Next week some time?

Sure! Any particular day work better for you? Anyone else wanna come?

Barring any major "fires" I can almost always get away for lunch.

I tend to go a little later just 'cause us two admins tend to stagger our lunches so no one ever has to do that, "Aww crap, I'll go get my laptop and data card and log in and fix that for you because you can't wait 30 minutes or plan your changes more than five minutes in advance," stuff. ;)

But can probably work around any time that's convenient for all.

I'd be in if it's Wednesday or Friday next week, all the other days are booked with meetings. If you all choose another day I'm sure I'll make it another time!

Jabo's sounds great, I have heard a ton of good things about it!

I could do either.

My wife's barbershop quartet was invited to sing on the Mike Rosen show on KOA at/around 11AM on Friday (if I'm reading her calendar correctly), so I won't be leaving for lunch until that's over. :)

Wednesday is wide-open. That pilot gathering at Maggie Smith's Irish Pub over near KAPA on the first Wednesday of the month is that night as well...

I could do either.

My wife's barbershop quartet was invited to sing on the Mike Rosen show on KOA at/around 11AM on Friday (if I'm reading her calendar correctly), so I won't be leaving for lunch until that's over. :)

Wednesday is wide-open. That pilot gathering at Maggie Smith's Irish Pub over near KAPA on the first Wednesday of the month is that night as well...

I will try to make this lunch as well...would be great to meet more local pilots.

Nate, what pilot gathering are you talking about? Sounds like fun as well.

Nate, what pilot gathering are you talking about? Sounds like fun as well.

I think JJ may have been the first to tell me about it...

Pilots on YAWB (yet another web board -- somewhere) have a regular gathering going at Maggie Smith's Irish Pub at Arapahoe & Peoria (entrance road to KAPA, but on the Northwest corner away from the airport in the strip mall there) on the first Wednesday of the month in the evening...? 17:30 perhaps?

I've never seen it published anywhere though...

I like the food there, so I'd show up and sit there by myself even if my info was wrong! :) :) :)

I'm still unemployed - what time and day?

I'm open Weds between meetings ending at 11:30 and starting back up at 3:00pm

I think Nate needs "later" like probably 12:30ish, but I'll wait for him to chime in. My meetiing's over at 11:30 so I need a little later than that ...

I'll be flying down to FTG on Friday to take the plane in for annual, and then its off to APA to find a place to keep it. I'll probably go with a tiedown for the short term, but I'd like to get into a hangar or shelter before next summer.
I spoke to someone today who just sold his share in a Bonanza. They were paying about $400/month which included payment and ground lease for a hangar. Before they had a hangar they were in a shelter (roof but no walls) for about $80/month. He said the guy to see about the shelters was down at JetCenter East but he couldn't think of a name.

Any time works for me next Wednesday, I actually have no meetings currently scheduled.

I read about that pilot's gathering at the pub on Wednesday nights too, but I think it was on a facebook update recently (don't remember which). I'll go through Facebook's crappy new interface and see if I can find it again. :)

I'll have to think about lunch on Wednesday. I live 15 minutes from KAPA, but work about 30 minutes away.

I'm going to try KAPA for now. A 15 minute drive to visit the airplane is very appealing. I'm comfortable leaving it outside for the time being, since we're past the hail season.

If you're in the covered parking later on, watch for drips off the overhang in winter to make the spot where you need to stand with the tow-bar an icy slippery problem. Bring a shovel and good shoes.

CAP fights that safety issue. The support structure is tight in those and sliding around on the tow-bar isn't fun. Two people pushing is safest in there.

So are we on for next Weds? I'll go out on a limb and suggest Jabo's at 12:30PM... :)

I'm wide open on Wednesday the 5th. Can I shoehorn in?

Alan, you're never "shoehorning" in since you're just as much a local as we are! ;)

12:30 Wed 5 Oct 2011! On the calendar.

Alan, you're never "shoehorning" in since you're just as much a local as we are! ;)

12:30 Wed 5 Oct 2011! On the calendar.

So Jabo's BBQ at 12:30 PM on Wednesday? I am going to try to make this.

Yup, sounds like you got it!

Jabo's can get a little busy at lunch, and they're not really a great "sit-down" place, depending on how fast their help is moving that day. Just a good BBQ place with booths and sometimes iffy service... you just shuffle up to the counter and get your grub, which is excellent.

I may try to get over there a bit early and try to hold a booth. How many people are "in" at this point? (I know, I know... I'll just go count the replies... GRIN!)

[waving hand in the air]

me me me!

Where's Jabo's?

I'm probably out although things can change by next week.

Is there enough room for everyone?

Well... I could *try* to hold two booths/tables which would probably be darn near impossible... ;)

I'll have to check my schedule when I get to work on Monday. I think I can breakout for lunch.

I dropped the plane off at FTG for the annual on Friday. I removed the interior and inspection panels. Hopefully it'll only take about a week. I did ask to have the vacuum pump replaced, which will probably be the long pole in getting finished. (hasn't failed, but has about 800 hours and I've actually started flying in IMC, so it was time)

I just got back in town. Wonderful weekend of camping and fishing at Sylvan Lake near Eagle. Leaf colors are just about at their peak and the brookies and rainbows were hungry!!!

Jabos at 12:30 on Weds. I'm in!

OK, I'm in. Its a fair schlep from work, but I don't have meetings scheduled all day. I guess I should take advantage of that.

Dangit, I'm out. Something blew up at work, I can't get away.
Y'all have a good time!

Back