Moving Cessna 172 Oil Door

ChrisS

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ChrisS
I'm considering installing a new type of Lycoming 0320 into my 172. This would require a new oil filler access door being cut/fitted onto the right hand side of the cowling (looking from the front), replacing the one curently on top of the cowling. I'm not sure what will happen to the fuel drain which is also accessed using the current door, I presume this will also be moved. I'm unable at the moment to get the installation instructions from the STC holder and would like to know if anyone has done this before and can help me with my decision on going ahead with the conversion.

Can anyone describe what needs to be done to do this? Is it a straight forward job? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm considering installing a new type of Lycoming 0320 into my 172. This would require a new oil filler access door being cut/fitted onto the right hand side of the cowling (looking from the front), replacing the one curently on top of the cowling. I'm not sure what will happen to the fuel drain which is also accessed using the current door, I presume this will also be moved. I'm unable at the moment to get the installation instructions from the STC holder and would like to know if anyone has done this before and can help me with my decision on going ahead with the conversion.

Can anyone describe what needs to be done to do this? Is it a straight forward job? Any help would be appreciated.
One choice would be to leave the existing door where it is (especially if it still provides access to the fuel drain valve) and adding a second door where it's needed for checking and filling the oil (might even require two more, one for the dipstick and one for the filler). That said, I'd think the STC holder would have already resolved this in some manner and you may be forced to do what the STC calls out.

One choice would be to leave the existing door where it is (especially if it still provides access to the fuel drain valve) and adding a second door where it's needed for checking and filling the oil (might even require two more, one for the dipstick and one for the filler). That said, I'd think the STC holder would have already resolved this in some manner and you may be forced to do what the STC calls out.

As Lance said leave the original access door in place. The dipstick tube IS the filler on conventional O-320/O-360's so one new access will suffice.

Has Lycoming moved the oil filler/check tube on a new type of O-320? My "old" O-320 has it on the left side when viewed from the front.

Leave the old access door in the top center of the cowling..it gives you another point to inspect the appliances in that area of the accessory case, and if you open it up while looking into the newly installed access door, it allows alot of natural light into the accessory case and makes it alot easier to see leaks, etc.

I believe that the good old H2AD was the primary O-320 that had the access door in the center of the cowling (a major pain in the ass BTW: it was quite a scene trying to single handedly capture fuel from the strainer in the good old CATS jar while pulling the strainer valve from TDC of the cowling LOL) and when we pulled those out for upgrades to 360's or different model 320's, the access door had to be repositioned. The strainer drain valve moves along with the oil fill tube to the side of the engine. Just my 2cents.

Thanks for the comments. I was considering leaving the original door on top (it's an H2AD, the new one will be a D2J), if the STC allows this then I'll be happy with that. What is involved in cutting a new opening in the cowling and installing a new door? I suppose a bit of rivetting is required to add a doubler or to mount a hinge, etc?

It's a modification that's detailed in the STC and has to be done by a certified A&P

As I said previously I can't see the STC, and all work will be done by a qualified A&P. I need to make a decision, how much is the extra work, how much will it cost and how many hours will my aeroplane be on the ground. If it's too much I will stick with the H2AD, which I am more than happy with, it's difficult to make a decision not knowing the full facts....hence my question.

Decision made, I'm staying with the good ol' 0320-H2AD. :thumbsup:

Back