Moving aircraft tax deductable?

jdfrey1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Frey
My company moved me from Delaware to Illinois last year. They paid for most of the moving expenses including moving of my household goods directly to the moving company. For my house hunting, temporary living and other incidental expenses they just gave me a lump sum which was grossed up which I believe counts as income and these expenses are not deductible. I was able to submit the final move expenses and this is showing up on my W-2 in box 12b with P code. For the most part it seems as though this will be pretty straight forward as I can't really deduct any moving expenses because I was reimbursed for the deductible ones already. Does this sound accurate?

Now, my real question. I had to fly my airplane from Delaware to Illinois and I did not submit the expenses for this trip to my company. Are these expenses deductible? I actually flew the airplane to Illinois and then returned to Delaware the next day via a commercial flight. If any of it is deductible what expenses could I claim as I incurred mileage driving to and from the airports, stayed overnight in a hotel and paid for fuel in the airplane. Any suggestions on how this should be handled?

Back