Movement area OK with expired BFR?

DebbieDriver

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DebbieDriver
Odd question:
Can I taxi my plane in a "movement" area (taxiway) with an expired BFR?

Here's my situation:
My BFR is expired. I have my BFR scheduled for next weekend and I'd like to wash the plane this weekend. To get to the wash rack at my class Charlie airport requires me to call ground control to use about 2000' of a taxiway.

The plane is filthy after sitting out and getting rained on last week, and since I can't fly, I'd at least like to get some airport time by washing it.

I've searched the FAR/AIM and PoA, but I can't find a clear answer:dunno:. I know I'm missing something very basic as my gut tells me 'No' because if you can't act as Pilot-in-Command, then you shouldn't be asking Ground Control to move your plane.

A little help, please... thanks.

Edit: Asked and answered. Thanks to the posters for the info.
A little clarification to help me look a little less dumb (hopefully). This is my first plane. I've had it a little over two years. My first airport was Class D and I could taxi to either of the two fueling islands, the A/P shop and the wash rack in the non-movement area without ever talking to the controller. I never gave it a thought before now, as I've never been in this situation before.

Last edited:
You have no intent of flight - BFR (or any rating) not required.

As long as you're not taxing with the intent of taking flight then you are fine, in the FAA's eyes. Your insurance company may disagree.

You don't even need to be a pilot to taxi in the movement area. A&Ps do it all the time.

You have no intent of flight - BFR (or any rating) not required.
As long as you're not taxing with the intent of taking flight then you are fine, in the FAA's eyes. Your insurance company may disagree.
I like and appreciate both of the quick responses. I hadn't thought of the insurance implications:eek:... nice catch Jesse, thanks.

Maybe I'll just take that BFR with some schmutz on the wings.

Thanks guys!

Go ahead and wash your plane. As long as you don't hit something on the way to and from the wash rack you're good. As others have pointed out, you don't even need a license to do what you're intending. Shucks, I've known a couple of 12 year olds who would prop a 450 Stearman and taxi it to the gas pits, fill 'er up and taxi it back to its tie-down so it would be ready for the rest of us to fly it. Nobody at the airport really cared.

No worries mate. You're good to go.

Edit: Asked and answered. Thanks to the posters for the info.A little clarification to help me look a little less dumb (hopefully). This is my first plane. I've had it a little over two years. My first airport was Class D and I could taxi to either of the two fueling islands, the A/P shop and the wash rack in the non-movement area without ever talking to the controller. I never gave it a thought before now, as I've never been in this situation before.

No problems. We have the "license to learn" and do just that in our own ways. You're fine.

Back