Mouth Fog - wth??

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Yesterday, we had some NASTY thunderstorms. Temperature was about 75 degrees, humidity was at 100%, and we got about 2 inches of rain and about an inch of hail, measuring about a quarter in size at times...it looked it snowed.

Anyways, while walking around my old house's backyard, there was a nice river, about 6 inches deep and 5 feet wide running through the middle of the yard. I walked down toward it and I got near the river and noticed that I was able to see my breath. The temperature had not dropped at all, but the closer I got to the river, the more I could see my breath, until I got right up to it, and it looked like I was exhaling vapor.

Was my breath adding enough moisture to the air to form a cloud? What was happening here....I've never seen this before in 75 degree weather.

<SNIP>
Was my breath adding enough moisture to the air to form a cloud? What was happening here....I've never seen this before in 75 degree weather.
Short answer- yes.

The air you breath out is near or at 100% humidity and warmer than the outside air. When you exhale, the vapor you breathed condensed in the cooler air.

Short answer- yes.

The air you breath out is near or at 100% humidity and warmer than the outside air. When you exhale, the vapor you breathed condensed in the cooler air.

Your exhalation is usually very humid. In high humidity you are inhaling even more moisture. When you exhale it's not only condensing but unable to evaporate due to the saturated surrounding air.

Dan

Yesterday, we had some NASTY thunderstorms. Temperature was about 75 degrees, humidity was at 100%, and we got about 2 inches of rain and about an inch of hail, measuring about a quarter in size at times...it looked it snowed.

Anyways, while walking around my old house's backyard, there was a nice river, about 6 inches deep and 5 feet wide running through the middle of the yard. I walked down toward it and I got near the river and noticed that I was able to see my breath. The temperature had not dropped at all, but the closer I got to the river, the more I could see my breath, until I got right up to it, and it looked like I was exhaling vapor.

What had you eaten recently?

Back