Mountain waves and flying low over mountains

qbynewbie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Qbynewbie
I completed my long cross-country last Saturday. In the write up (Long cross-country completed or Long cross-country completed ), I reported running into a mountain wave that really surprised me. Worse, I reacted incorrectly and could easily have crashed as a result.

I ran into the wave less than 20 minutes from home. I was over Bennington, VT, where the mountains are only about 4,000 feet tall. Who would ever think about mountain waves so low? Unfortunately, I was descending from 7,500' to 5,500' to maintain VFR, so I was coming with 1,400 feet of terrain when I leveled out. Except that I didn't level out and was carried downward for about six-hundred feet before I got the vertical descent stopped and then was able to climb again.

But that was a mistake. I jokingly blamed the whole thing on Henning, who had written about mountain waves that very morning here on these forums. On the Purple Board, he responded:

Well, if you're going to remember one part of what I said, try to remember the rest as you made a error that can get you in serious trouble. When you're in the down draft, you never try to climb it. I realize it's slightly counter intuitive, but what you do is to put the nose down for airspeed so you get out quicker. Same for microbursts and such. Climb an updraft, dive out of a downdraft.
I wanted to learn as much as I could about mountain waves. I actually had a lesson in mountain flying in Alaska last month, when I took a first ASES lesson in a Supercub on floats at Moose Pass. Then it was clear that we were in MOUNTAINS... great, tall, mountains. My CFI was explicit about flying near the mountains, not in the middle (gives you the most room to turn in an emergency), seeking out updrafts, leaving yourself an out, being careful about canyons, etc. But I was stupid enough to not extrapolate that to the terrain here near home. I guess we always feel comfortable near home.

After some research, it turns out the Henning is correct (Big surprise there.): dive out of a downdraft and climb out of an updraft. It's really counterintuitive -- when I was caught in that downdraft, I REALLY wanted to climb -- but nevertheless correct. Trying to outclimb a downdraft in a light GA airplane is not the right thing to do.

I found a PDF called Mountain Flying. It's produced by the Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand. I think it's really good and chock full of information pilots should know even if they are only flying over itty, bitty mountains. Consequently, I'm posting this on all three forums, something I generally try to avoid. ;)

http://www.caa.govt.nz/safety_info/GAPs/Mountain_Flying.pdf

I'll try to beat Tony on this one....

If you want to read more about the mountain wave I would heartily suggerst "Exploring the Monster" by Bob Whelan

http://www.greeleynet.com/~rfwhelan/monster.html

Matt Michael recommended this book, to me, and it is a fantastic account of the early research done in the Sierras right after the war. there are some harrowing stories in there that illustrate the power of the wave.

I think also there is a mountain flying tutorial on AOPA somewhere. That, of course, does not substitute mountain flying training. After I finish my PPL I will be getting my mountain flying checkout combined with HP checkout in the club's 182.

yes, dive through the sink and climb in the lift. any glider pilot knows that one.

it is somewhat surprising that 'low' hills and such can create standing waves in the atmosphere. In fact there is a fair bit of wave soaring that takes place in that part of the country during the windy season. altitudes are not nearly as high as out west but low to mid teens are common, i believe.

The "Low" mountain ridges that run from near the NY/NJ/PA border to TN provide plenty of lift.

Article

Anyone on the western edge of the mountains knows (or soon will know!) that if winds at 3000 are 30 knots or more from 020 to 160 or 200 to 330, expect severe Mountain wave activity and a very rough ride.

Back