Mountain Training Course

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Hey guys,

One of my students asked me the other day if we could fly anywhere, where would it be? Well, I've always wanted to learn how to fly in the mountains. To my surprise, he said, "okay, let's do it! We'll even do it in my plane!" In slight shock and excitement, I agreed to look into it! So what the proposition is would be to take about 3 days and head to Colorado. I could give him dual out and back in his Turbo 182 but both of us would like to learn the ups and downs of navigating through the mountains, weather, etc. I'd like to find a flight school/Reputable Instructor who has a lot of experience and would be willing to fly with us. I don't have to fly, I know how to do that already, but the knowledge and experience would be valuable to me as well as him. Maybe a day rate Instructor vs. hourly. So, I'm curious if any of you have had some great experiences with any particular company, instructor, destinations, etc.

Thanks,
Tristan

There is also the Colorado Pilots Association http://coloradopilots.org/

Or you could contact instructors at airports in or near the mountains. I talked to the people at Rifle KRIF and flown with a good guy at Eagle KEGE.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Joe

Hey guys,

One of my students asked me the other day if we could fly anywhere, where would it be? Well, I've always wanted to learn how to fly in the mountains. To my surprise, he said, "okay, let's do it! We'll even do it in my plane!" In slight shock and excitement, I agreed to look into it! So what the proposition is would be to take about 3 days and head to Colorado. I could give him dual out and back in his Turbo 182 but both of us would like to learn the ups and downs of navigating through the mountains, weather, etc. I'd like to find a flight school/Reputable Instructor who has a lot of experience and would be willing to fly with us. I don't have to fly, I know how to do that already, but the knowledge and experience would be valuable to me as well as him. Maybe a day rate Instructor vs. hourly. So, I'm curious if any of you have had some great experiences with any particular company, instructor, destinations, etc.

Thanks,
Tristan

Tristan,
I think there was a flyer up in the weather room in Silverhawk advertising for a mountain course. Might be worth a look. Lots of enticing pictures.

The CPA is a good lead in a general sense. Their formal courses are offered in June and August so that's a next year thing. Some of the instructors listed on their website are really good (by reputation, not that'd I'd know).

If you'd like I'll pass on contact info for the mountain instructor I used. He used to lead the Red Baron Stearman's and got his start instructing out of BDU (Boulder, CO).

I think the chief check pilot for the Colorado CAP is still offering training out of BJC with Western Air. He's a good guy if just a little on the crazy side. :wink2: There are some apparently saner CAP guys who also offer training...

I can't remember exactly where she's located, but there's a gal out there who is reputed to be the best in the west re. mountain flying. Ask around and somebody will know her name.
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Tristan

I took the Colorado Pilots Assoc course and it is well worth it. Different type of flying for sure. Never assume you know it as evidenced by Sparky.

Lori MacNichol at McCall's in Idaho http://www.mountaincanyonflying.com/

Another option is Jer/ Eberhard http://www.jerslash.net/
Jer/ was one of the other two pilots with me on the Edwards AFB trip. I figure I got 18 hours of mountain flying lessons for free...Jer also flies/instructs in gliders

John Bowman at Western Air http://www.westernairflightacademy.com
is also highly regarded in the area.

And I'm sure he'll chime in, but Mark Kolber (a regular here at POA) is another mountain flying expert. http://www.midlifeflight.com/

As for Colorado Pilots - we're thinking of a half-day course on winter flying, but nothing is on the schedule.

If you're going to do it, sooner than later. It's already snowing in the high country and that adds to the apprehension factor.

Last edited:
I went flying over the summer in Aspen, and I liked the instructor, Gary Kraft. www.aspenaero.com We went over two days to Leadville, and Telluride, among other small airports. Telluride was fun.

There's also colomtnflyer (Ric) if he's in the area and still current....

A little off topic.

You should take the course in a NA airplane to get the full effect of mountain flying. A turbo 182 will mask one of the most important aspects of mountain flying (ie. no power).

So I suggest fly the T182 out. Then hop in an NA airplane for at least the first part of the course. Then try out the T182 and see how much of a difference it makes.

I don't have any recommendations on instructors. I learned Mtn flying from my Dad and he's no longer a CFI.

Hey guys,

Thanks,
Tristan

When do you want to do it? I'll be stateside end of the month or so, I'd meet you in CO or somewhere and show you the hazards and hedges in mountain flying. Three days is a bit short though. Can't really guarantee you seeing the main "gotchas" if there's only a three day window. It's one thing to understand a down slope turnout, it's another thing to require one. Most of it is understanding and visualizing air currents so you know where you will be pushed up and where you will be pushed down. You also get a more critical view of your performance at altitude, though with a turbo 182, that won't be a major issue in calm airs. Also figuring out where the smoother vs rougher air will be.

Look up Kent's trip west, he had a good instructor and a great experience IIRC.

I can't remember exactly where she's located, but there's a gal out there who is reputed to be the best in the west re. mountain flying. Ask around and somebody will know her name.

Lori MacNichol at Mountain Canyon Flying in McCall, ID (KMYL).

I can't speak highly enough of my experience there. I didn't fly with Lori (she got married that weekend), but I did fly with Marti Wegner and she was excellent. She worked with my ever-changing schedule and crafted an experience that worked for me. I had a GREAT time, and taking that course really made the rest of my trip.

The advantage of doing a mountain course in Idaho vs. Colorado is that you get to land at some really amazing backcountry airstrips. In Colorado you get to fly around the mountains, but there really aren't the kind of backcountry strips that you find in Idaho. Take a look at Skyvector and punch in KMYL and then take a look at all the unpaved strips in the area to the east (many of them are Forest Service strips and have "USFS" in the name).

http://mountaincanyonflying.com/

And I've posted The Picture enough, so I'll skip it this time. ;)

Yet another vote for Western Air at BJC. It's a fun course to fly, especially in a 172 where you have to work for your lift :cheerswine:

Back