mountain flying

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
lets assume i will be flying over mountains in a day or two... (someone else flying, i am rt seat pax) what kind of survival gear i should be carrying? i have a bag of winter survival kit that i carry around for my winter driving trips that includes things like signalling mirror, fire starter, space blanket, knife, high energy bar and water. i will carry parka and may be a snow boot. i do not have PLB, nor do i have time to get it today.

what else do you carry?

actually this should belong to Pilot Training section.. wondering if mods can move this...

lets assume i will be flying over mountains in a day or two... (someone else flying, i am rt seat pax) what kind of survival gear i should be carrying? i have a bag of winter survival kit that i carry around for my winter driving trips that includes things like signalling mirror, fire starter, space blanket, knife, high energy bar and water. i will carry parka and may be a snow boot. i do not have PLB, nor do i have time to get it today.

what else do you carry?

You really just need to be wearing enough warm clothing and a first aid kit to last a few hours if you can't glide to flatter land if your engine quits.

Carry a long, stout walking stick.

In case of bears, use the long walking stick and whack your buddy in the shins, then run.!!!

Seriously, dress as if you will be in the weather for a few days.

Agreed with others... "Dress to egress." The survival stuff is good, especially if light. Space blanket is good as it's reflective, so you may be better served by a small, but high powered flashlight. Most important is a bottle or two of water, and the PLB. If seriously worried, use a SPOT tracker and invite friends/family to track you.

i do not have PLB, nor do i have time to get it today.

Not sure where you live, but over here you can order a PLB from Amazon with same day delivery until noon today. Maybe worth a quick gander.

Not sure where you live, but over here you can order a PLB from Amazon with same day delivery until noon today. Maybe worth a quick gander.
aint gonna happen in the middle of nowhere here..

Which mountains? What is the route?

There's no one right answer. I fly Denver to Leadville and don't take anything special. A wallet, a cell phone, a warm jacket - just same as when I go to the grocery store in the winter. There's enough flatland, road, farms and homes that it's not a big deal.

Now, going Denver to Durango, totally different.

I think you're more worried than you need to be.

Which mountains? What is the route?

There's no one right answer. I fly Denver to Leadville and don't take anything special. A wallet, a cell phone, a warm jacket - just same as when I go to the grocery store in the winter. There's enough flatland, road, farms and homes that it's not a big deal.

Now, going Denver to Durango, totally different.

I think you're more worried than you need to be.

cascade. don't know the route yet. KPAE - KFAR , IF it happens

Try calling the FBO there. They may sell PBL's. If you have a day to kill do the Boeing tour. It's a good one

REI's site is showing the ACR PLB in stock at the Lynnwood store, which is about 15 driving minutes from KPAE.

I would carry the knowledge that the guy you're flying with is experienced in mountain flying. I'm lucky that I got the trial by fire here in Tucson. Hard not to go over mountains if you want to get anywhere.

What I try to do is plan my route so I'm mostly over area's with population. Granted, some of those populated areas are rather sparse. I stay over the highway passes through the mountains as they tend to be lower terrain & know where all the airports & emergency runways are located along your route.

Wind induced turbulence is a real problem so be aware of winds aloft & surface winds & not only is velocity important but so is direction.

The two worst areas are Seattle to Ellensburg & then Spokane to Missoula. Once you're past Butte, MT the remaining MT passes are fairly short in duration.

Fly at the crack of dawn & if it gets stormy or turbulent don't be afraid to stop for the day. It's really not a big deal.

Warm clothing & water is a must carry.

Be prepared for some great scenery!

What I try to do is plan my route so I'm mostly over area's with population. Granted, some of those populated areas are rather sparse. I stay over the highway passes through the mountains as they tend to be lower terrain & know where all the airports & emergency runways are located along your route.

Wind induced turbulence is a real problem so be aware of winds aloft & surface winds & not only is velocity important but so is direction.

The two worst areas are Seattle to Ellensburg & then Spokane to Missoula. Once you're past Butte, MT the remaining MT passes are fairly short in duration.

Fly at the crack of dawn & if it gets stormy or turbulent don't be afraid to stop for the day. It's really not a big deal.

Warm clothing & water is a must carry.

Be prepared for some great scenery!

here is the route, as on today.

leg 1 - KPAE - W16-, 1WA6 - 4W0 - KESW - ELN - MWH - GEG - KSFF

Leg 2 - KHLN via COE - MLP - MSO

then pretty much flat

Explain to me then why you would be sitting right seat if your CFI is with you? Use the time to gain some flying experience, not sit as a passenger in the right seat.

Explain to me then why you would be sitting right seat if your CFI is with you? Use the time to gain some flying experience, not sit as a passenger in the right seat.
my CFI is not travelling with me. Someone else. Left or right I don't know yet, it's his call

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

my CFI is not travelling with me. Someone else. Left or right I don't know yet, it's his call

I gotcha, I assumed it was your CFI who was coming along. My bad.

Live dangerously....nothing but you and some snacks and food. Plane don't know its over mountains. haha

But on a serious note...have we heard yet or seen what you are getting? Or did I just miss it somewhere?

Funny how this thread is turning out a bit different from other mountain threads. In others you always hear "you must get mountain flying training" now this thread is saying "it's no big deal." I've always felt flying over the mountains wasn't too big of a deal, but it is different than flatland flying. Having cold weather and survival gear is a good idea but don't go overboard on it. If you want a shopping list to reference, maybe consider looking at the Alaska or Canada survival gear requirements are.

Maybe you can borrow a PLB from someone rather than buying one in a rush?

My recommendation is to fly conservatively in a new to you airplane. I would not just launch and head straight home, I'd stay local for a few hours to feel the plane out first then start the trip cautiously. Also, don't be afraid to stop or maybe have a couple of route options to choose from to stay in good weather.

Funny how this thread is turning out a bit different from other mountain threads. In others you always hear "you must get mountain flying training" now this thread is saying "it's no big deal." I've always felt flying over the mountains wasn't too big of a deal, but it is different than flatland flying. Having cold weather and survival gear is a good idea but don't go overboard on it. If you want a shopping list to reference, maybe consider looking at the Alaska or Canada survival gear requirements are.

Maybe you can borrow a PLB from someone rather than buying one in a rush?

My recommendation is to fly conservatively in a new to you airplane. I would not just launch and head straight home, I'd stay local for a few hours to feel the plane out first then start the trip cautiously. Also, don't be afraid to stop or maybe have a couple of route options to choose from to stay in good weather.
Checked with the PIC. He has a PLB. Do i am hanging on to him if something hits the fan

Live dangerously....nothing but you and some snacks and food. Plane don't know its over mountains. haha

But on a serious note...have we heard yet or seen what you are getting? Or did I just miss it somewhere?
U didn't. I have virtually seen her, doing pre buy tomorrow and if it checks out, getting her home. 8121k , listed on TAP

Your car survival kit is a good start. Throw in a down bag, ski hat, warm mittens, warm coat, more simple food, plenty of water, basic first aid kit, portable vhf.... you could be over gross if you included everything on some of the lists out there. :biggrin: Your route looks good and follows an interstate highway. Use center FF and fly as high as the plane will provide reasonable performance...flying over the mountains is different than "in" the mountains. Consider an oximeter and portable oxygen. The incessant cold fronts have been the issue the past few days. It demands more respect over the terrain your planning. Should be a scenic flight.

U didn't. I have virtually seen her, doing pre buy tomorrow and if it checks out, getting her home. 8121k , listed on TAP

Nice looking bird! Looks like a decent buy, but please do me a favor if you purchase this airplane and install the wheel pants. I can't stand a Cherokee that's naked. :p

Man yeah that looks nice and well equipped! And dang an AoA, you will make the highest of Cfi's jealous.

Here is hoping for a good pre buy outcome! Keep us posted.

Your car survival kit is a good start. Throw in a down bag, ski hat, warm mittens, warm coat, more simple food, plenty of water, basic first aid kit, portable vhf.... you could be over gross if you included everything on some of the lists out there. Your route looks good and follows an interstate highway. Use center FF and fly as high as the plane will provide reasonable performance...flying over the mountains is different than "in" the mountains. Consider an oximeter and portable oxygen. The incessant cold fronts have been the issue the past few days. It demands more respect over the terrain your planning. Should be a scenic flight.
O boy, yah I took a crap Los of stuff in the bag, then did a w&b and now taking stuff out

Nice looking bird! Looks like a decent buy, but please do me a favor if you purchase this airplane and install the wheel pants. I can't stand a Cherokee that's naked. :p
But I like naked....

Juice. What were u thinking?

Man yeah that looks nice and well equipped! And dang an AoA, you will make the highest of Cfi's jealous.

Here is hoping for a good pre buy outcome! Keep us posted.
Thanks. Yes I am excited, can't sleep with a million butterflies in my stomach...

If you've ever had to work on a Cherokee with those wheel pants you'll know why they're off. But they do give the newer planes some nice speed...

What looks stupid is having the nose wheel pant on but the mains off. I'd pull them all off and leave them in the corner. Or put the mains on and be annoyed when you have to R&R them.

Wheel pants on the cherokee are a PITA. Difficult if not impossible to check air in the tires or fill them. Impractical in winter because snow/ice can accumulate inside the pants causing problems with the brakes. The alledged 2-3 knots in speed not worth it.

Back