Mountain Flying Training - NC

elmetal

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
elmetal
Hey everyone, I didn't want to hijack the other moutain flying post so here it goes:

I am going to find myself in North Carolina (mainly Winston Salem Area) between christmas and new years. (well, that's the plan anyway)

I will be on a rented plane and am looking for some instruction of the east coast hill flying.

I know it's not mountain flying, but I was raised in Florida and flown in Florida.

I went to SC/NC this past summer, flying, and I went a little west of Charlotte and I found myself dead scared of what the sectional told me were 1000-2000 foot hills. I got to about 3000 foot hills (which to me MONSTERS) and I turned around.

I am looking for a CFI near winston salem who would like to take this fear out of me, in my rented airplane. I Know that condition makes it extremely hard to find someone to fill the spot but the thing is

the plane minimums for rental is I believe 4 hours a day, and it's only about a 15 hours round trip from where I live so that gives me about 4 days from home and back home without paying for unflown hours SOOOOOO, the solution would be fly with my plane and I can stay in NC longer.

anyone have any tips?

This will be on a 172L if it makes any difference to whomever.

Before I went out to Denver earlier this year and did some mountain training, I flew with my instructor to Jackson County. If you can land at that airport, you can land just about anywhere in the mountains. Feel free to PM me. I am based out of Concord (KJQF) and would be more than willing to give you some insight into mountain flying.

Come on out for a real mountian flying course.

Good weather for it today.

http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/roman/meso_base.cgi?stn=JHS

This is wind speeds @ 10,000 msl. Two miles north is the Grand Tetons@ 13,775 msl.

Ridgetops winds there are topping hurricane force. :hairraise::hairraise:

Ben.

I would love to go to Utah/Idaho/Denver/Alaska for a real mountain course, trouble is I am already going to NC for other business. I am seriously considering going to alaska in April or May though to get some Alaska experience.

I would love to go to Utah/Idaho/Denver/Alaska for a real mountain course, trouble is I am already going to NC for other business. I am seriously considering going to alaska in April or May though to get some Alaska experience.

Things don't thaw enough up there to do much float flying before mid-May. When I booked by training the window was from the end of May until about the 3rd week of August. After that it get's pretty cold pretty quick.

Things don't thaw enough up there to do much float flying before mid-May. When I booked by training the window was from the end of May until about the 3rd week of August. After that it get's pretty cold pretty quick.

You just opened up a whole other can of worms that I wanted to do. Seaplane! Man I am looking forward to this summer. I gotta save up. Between my instrument rating this winter+spring I don't know how I'll afford it!

You just opened up a whole other can of worms that I wanted to do. Seaplane! Man I am looking forward to this summer. I gotta save up. Between my instrument rating this winter+spring I don't know how I'll afford it!

If you're in Florida, Jack Brown at Winter Haven is probably the place to go for seaplane training. - Russ

If you're in Florida, Jack Brown at Winter Haven is probably the place to go for seaplane training. - Russ

That's what I've heard, but at the same time, I am planning on going to alaska in May-ish to get some Alaska time (mainly for the fun and the experience) as well as some different terrain, different flying, different weather, and I hope to get some of the Alaskan experience.

I could get 2 birds with one stone is my idea.

EDIT: But if my plans fall through (money is the only thing holding me back) I will definitely make it to winter haven for the seaplane.

Last edited:
Did I mention the reason I was scared poopless was because I went to Shiflet field?

Take a closer look at a sectional, (I Know i didn't pay that close attention) Shiflet field is about 5 miles from the peak of Mt Mitchel, the tallest mountain in the east coast (granted it's only 6600 msl, shiflet a good 3000 less than that)

Did I mention the reason I was scared poopless was because I went to Shiflet field?

Take a closer look at a sectional, (I Know i didn't pay that close attention) Shiflet field is about 5 miles from the peak of Mt Mitchel, the tallest mountain in the east coast (granted it's only 6600 msl, shiflet a good 3000 less than that)

You definately don't want to come to Jackson Hole for mountian training then. Field elevation is 6415 msl. Less then three miles away lay peaks that top 13,775. I grew up in Fla and this is absolutely stunning to fly among.

We are in the middle of a old fashion winter storm. Click on this link in day or so when its - 20 f. It will be spectacular...

http://www.alltravelcams.com/viewer_gwc.php?camcategory=GRAND%20TETON%20NATIONAL%20PARK&camname=East%20Gros%20Ventre%20Butte&campic=http://cams.jacksonholewebcams.com/grandteton/grandteton.jpg&sponsor=ALLJacksonHole.com&sponsorurl=http://www.AllJacksonHole.com&camwidth=1024&camheight=800

Ben.
www.haaspowerair.com

You definately don't want to come to Jackson Hole for mountian training then. Field elevation is 6415 msl. Less then three miles away lay peaks that top 13,775. I grew up in Fla and this is absolutely stunning to fly among.

We are in the middle of a old fashion winter storm. Click on this link in day or so when its - 20 f. It will be spectacular...

http://www.alltravelcams.com/viewer...llJacksonHole.com&camwidth=1024&camheight=800

Ben.
www.haaspowerair.com

with the right training I'm sure it's a blast to fly that kind of terrain, but having flown all my hours in terrain that goes from 100feet msl to 0 in about.... 50 miles, it's hard for me to adjust to that terrain being normal!

Ahh!!!

That's what I've heard, but at the same time, I am planning on going to alaska in May-ish to get some Alaska time (mainly for the fun and the experience) as well as some different terrain, different flying, different weather, and I hope to get some of the Alaskan experience.

I could get 2 birds with one stone is my idea.

EDIT: But if my plans fall through (money is the only thing holding me back) I will definitely make it to winter haven for the seaplane.

AFaIK, everything costs more in Alaska. I'd go for a local ASES rating and then you can log time if you get a chance to right seat in a floatplane and the owner lets you fly a bit.

AFaIK, everything costs more in Alaska. I'd go for a local ASES rating and then you can log time if you get a chance to right seat in a floatplane and the owner lets you fly a bit.

that's true... but winter haven isn't exactly local... I could theoretically sleep at a friend's house in east orlando...

the choices!!!!!!!!!!

with the right training I'm sure it's a blast to fly that kind of terrain, but having flown all my hours in terrain that goes from 100feet msl to 0 in about.... 50 miles, it's hard for me to adjust to that terrain being normal!

Ahh!!!

I learned to fly in Apopka Fla back in the early 80's. Spent my first 500 hours flying all over the state. I believe the highest part is by BOC tower in Lake Wales @ 315 ASL. I do miss the thick air down there but I make it up with 'extra' horsepower.:cool2::D.

Ben.

that's true... but winter haven isn't exactly local... I could theoretically sleep at a friend's house in east orlando...

the choices!!!!!!!!!!

IIRC, ASES can be done in a single day at Brown's if the weather cooperates. Or you could fly there a couple times in your own plane.

IIRC, ASES can be done in a single day at Brown's if the weather cooperates. Or you could fly there a couple times in your own plane.

I'll have to evaluate my stepping stones from here and see what's more of a priority in my training then see what choices I have.

ahhhhhhh why couldn't we all just have all the money!!!!!

Back