Mountain flying & radar services

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
I'm looking to fly KBJC to KHND soon. What kind of altitude will I need to receive flight following from Denver Center over the cumulogranite? Will the MEA listed along V8 be adequate for that purpose?

I'm usually a bit north of that route and 14,000 is usually good for radar coverage. The MEA looks pretty good for coverage over the bumps. Dunno 'bout further west of Colorado.

The route I've used is to head south to Albuquerque and then west from there. Good radar coverage at non-O2 altitudes when following I-40. The terrain is much more forgiving along that route. Still pretty un-populated country if you've gotta make an off-airport arrival...

The route I've used is to head south to Albuquerque and then west from there. Good radar coverage at non-O2 altitudes when following I-40. The terrain is much more forgiving along that route. Still pretty un-populated country if you've gotta make an off-airport arrival...

I'm not sure I'd call 10,000 ft good radar coverage.

I would guess that route, if you really fly the great circle and all the radars are working enroute the controllers would want you at around 16k. Would be a much better flight to stay north or south over the lower ground. Be sure to take O2 and plan to try this in good weather only.

I'm looking to fly KBJC to KHND soon. What kind of altitude will I need to receive flight following from Denver Center over the cumulogranite? Will the MEA listed along V8 be adequate for that purpose?
I'd say yes, or pretty close. I have lost communications briefly while IFR in the mountains, but not in this area. Based on the times I used flight following in Colorado, I found 12,500 adequate most of the time once west of Corona Pass.

I'm not sure I'd call 10,000 ft good radar coverage.

I passed through that area about a month ago and radar coverage was good at 12,500. There was some traffic down at 10,500 that got lost and services terminated so I'd agree that 10k is probably a bit low for good coverage down south.

West of Denver I have no idea. I've only taken the southern route to Vegas because I didn't want to fly that high or deal with the big rocks. I'd guess you'd need to be around 15-16k to get radar coverage.

Back