Mountain Flying Bible to next poster!

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
Spike passed it to me...now it's your turn!

My review:
It has a lot of interesting information abount mountain flying.

Sparky starts with a review of the basics (not a bad thing for me). Some of his points are repeated often on the book. I suppose he really wanted to be sure we "got it".

He have some useful suggestions- one is if the plan reaches 71% of liftoff speed by 1/2 way down the runway, you have enough runway to remaining to fly off (obstacle clearance is another matter as he points out).

The book could have been edited a bit better...
p. 2-10, Sparky talks how moisture decreases lift. He describes how moisture combines with oxygen. I'm pretty sure he meant to say it replaces oxygen, but he neglects the nitrogen. I think he wanted to say that moisture displaces denser gasses causing reduced efficiency of wings and lift. As his chemistry is correct when he explains combustion earlier in the book, I'm not sure how this got by. another interesting "fact" is once the OAT probe is covered in ice, it will only read 0° C (p 3-148). I haven't experienced the condition, but this is probably only when the ice is melting or freezing (sometimes). An ice covered anything will cool down to ambient temperature if the ice isn't melting or freezing. As a chemist, these statements are like nails on a blackboard.

He summerizes the tips at the end of the book and each chapter. On the whole, an interesting read.

Please send me a PM with an address and I'll forward the book to you.

Enjoy!
-->Jack

PM sent, glad to be on the tip of this spear, I will pay it forward!

Back