Mountain Biking

tlrussell

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pa32-300
I am looking for cool places near public airports to go mountain biking. East of the Mississippi. Thanks, pictures appreciated.

If you get to Virginia, check out VG18, Sky Bryce. It is listed as a private airport, but they really welcome visitors. Fly in instructions are available at http://www.bryceresort.com/Resort/Local-Community/Airport.aspx

It is a ski resort, but in the summer they haul mountain bikes up the chair lift and you can fly down the mountain. Mind you, this is an east coast "mountain", so don't expect the grandeur of the Rockies. Fall colors along the Blue Ridge Parkway are pretty spectacular thought. There are rental cabins, a hotel, restaurant and there are also zip lines through the trees. Not bad for a spot with a reasonable length runway right next to all the fun stuff.

I've been to Bryce several times, always rented bikes there instead of hauling ours up. They have a pretty good deal with a lift ticket, all personal protective gear, and Trek Session downhill bikes for about $100/day. You can throw a rock from the rental office to the runway. I plan on making the trip a few times this summer.

Back