Mountain bike trails at Gaston's?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Does anyone know if there are any mountain bike trails at or near Gaston's?

Thanks. :)

I have a book at the hangar on Arkansas mountain bike trails. I'll check later today.

More important (for me, anyway) - does anyone know how to put two mountain bikes in the back of a 172?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a book at the hangar on Arkansas mountain bike trails. I'll check later today.
Thanks!

I called Gaston's and they knew of one nearby at the State Park. The State Park web site had some information about that one and mentioned that they rent mountain bikes.

More important (for me, anyway) - does anyone know how to put two mountain bikes in the back of a 172?

I saw a 182 with bikes in the back. The seat back was reclined and the bikes were laid on the seats with a moving blanket under them. I don't know if the seat back reclines in 172's though. I kinda doubt it.

Thanks!

I called Gaston's and they knew of one nearby at the State Park. The State Park web site had some information about that one and mentioned that they rent mountain bikes.
Oh, that sounds fun!

Can you take the back seat out of yours? I took the back seat out of mine when I flew it to OSH in 2006. Lots more room back there without the seat. I could have slept back there if I would have needed to.

I have taken my bikes in the plane. I have fit my mountain bike in the back seat of our 182 with the wheels off. It fits quite comfortably. I have also put my roadbike int the cargo area of our archer as well. Either way you may have to remove the seat and perhaps loosen the stem in addition to taking off the wheels.

Here is a pic of the MTB in the 182

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 27
Hmmm... If I'm able to fly to Gaston's with the better half, I'll have to ask the FBO if they can take the back seat out of the plane. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but it's worth asking! :)

I'm sure Mike could manage it. He had most of a small Wal-Mart and all of the items from a Crutchfield catalog in his PA28 when he came to Gaston's last year.

Diana,

The closest thing I've found is the Pigeon Creek Trail System about 25 miles from Gaston's (6 miles N. of Mountain Home). The trail is a 25 mile long singletrack with several loops. It's marked in the book as "intermediate". The trail system was built by a bike club in Mountain Home - no motorized vehicles or horses allowed.

Check your email tonight for more info.

I'm sure Mike could manage it. He had most of a small Wal-Mart and all of the items from a Crutchfield catalog in his PA28 when he came to Gaston's last year.

The secret is height. You have all kinds of room as you go up from the floor of the cargo bay to the roof liner...but first you have to have an "If it fits, it files" airplane.

My bike is a Schwinn Cruiser. I think I could fit it with the wheel off. It's a not a featherweight bike, but see above.

Hmmm... If I'm able to fly to Gaston's with the better half, I'll have to ask the FBO if they can take the back seat out of the plane. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but it's worth asking! :)

its only like 4 3/8 inch bolts. really easy.

Diana,

The closest thing I've found is the Pigeon Creek Trail System about 25 miles from Gaston's (6 miles N. of Mountain Home). The trail is a 25 mile long singletrack with several loops. It's marked in the book as "intermediate". The trail system was built by a bike club in Mountain Home - no motorized vehicles or horses allowed.

Check your email tonight for more info.
OK, thanks.

What a great idea!

Someone talked me out of taking my bike to Oshkosh this year. I'm not going to make the same mistake again. Especially since I have cabin #62 or something like that and the walk is absolutely brutal ;)

Just put a bike rack on top of your airplane.

I've taken the back seats out of an Archer to take 2 mountain bikes to Canada before.

Back