Mountain and canyon flying

My favorite video yet!! Some great info as well! Thanks Larry!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
What angle of attack indicator is this?

Great video! Thanks for posting.

Alpha Systems with the Falcon indicator. Later vids show the under glare shield mount with the heads-up display reflector.

I’d very interested to see the AoA readings along with the airspeed during some of those steep banks.

Beautiful.

Was wondering, was there any wind, up and downdrafts? Also, can the AOA indicator ever give erroneous readings?
Also, did you say you don’t pull back on the stick in canyon turns? About how much altitude do you lose?

Your videos are very inspiring!

Beautiful.

Was wondering, was there any wind, up and downdrafts? Also, can the AOA indicator ever give erroneous readings?
Also, did you say you don’t pull back on the stick in canyon turns? About how much altitude do you lose?

Your videos are very inspiring!

No wind, and so far have about 2,000 hrs with the AoA and works very reliable.
I dont pull on the yoke when making the turn, so I offload the wing, that way I can turn tight with no risk of stalling, loose 300 or 400 ft.

Awesome! Wanna teach me some 182 mountain flying!!! I know a lot of people are watching the AoA. I was watching the airspeed indicator...wow!!! About the only time I see it that low is during the takeoff roll and slow flight turns up at 14,000 this summer.

I think it would be so friggin' cool for you to doing a flying meetup with Trent Palmer, the Patey's and the other STOL pilots in the Idaho back country. Talk about stories to tell :)

Thanks for sharing!

I dont pull on the yoke when making the turn, so I offload the wing, that way I can turn tight with no risk of stalling, loose 300 or 400 ft.

That makes all the sense in the world! I will become proficient at that before we go back to Johnson Creek..

Thanks, was the no wind a factor in deciding? Not talking about high winds of course, but would you do the same trip if there were say 4-5 knots?

Even with no wind too, are there thermals coming from difference between canyon sides, one in the sun and the other not? I think one has to be, as you are, very experienced to try some of those maneuvers in that kind of environment, but then got to wondering...how does one gain experience? It doesn’t seem to me like something one can gradually work into very much. Except slightly higher alt until you get the feel for it?

At my age, I don’t think I have enough time to even have a chance of that kind of flying, but it sure looks like a lot of fun and interesting! Love your videos. The STOL into wilderness.

one thing I wondered about too is radio comms in general from small grass strips or even not airstrips but just say bare ground suitable for landings and takeoffs. Do pilots in back country flying announce on CTAF when taking off just in case? And if so, if it isn’t an airstrip, how does one tell anyone else flying your position and intentions?

In Idaho we use 122.9 mostly for freq.
Winds less than 10 kts Its a go for sure.

Yes I practiced this turn at high altitude many times, until I was comfortable.
Even in the canyon I only do it with altitude to spare.

Back