Mountain Air Country Club

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Over the Memorial Day weekend, we will be featuring some great events that involve Cirrus Aircraft. Cirrus will be bringing several of their aircraft to the Mountain so that our members may be taken up on demonstration flights. They will have a tent set up on the runway grass area, as well as another set up on the Slickrock Village Green so that you can receive information about Cirrus Design and to reserve a demo flight on Saturday or Sunday. Members will be invited to show their planes at a static air show on Saturday, 10-4. The highlight of the Cirrus participation will take place on the golf course. How about a hole-in-one contest to win a Cirrus Design airplane? The hole-in-one contest will take place on Sunday morning at 10 a.m. Additionally, Cirrus will be having a contest to win a 10 hour block of air taxi time in their SATSair taxi company. The winner of the contest will be announced at the Slickrock Village Green immediately following the hole-in-one contest. Phone: 800-770-9055,[/FONT]

Wildflowers and Waterfalls - Saturday, 5/13: 11 a.m. at Laughing Waters Nature Cove. May is the best month for bright wildflowers and big waterfalls. Join the naturalists for a dramatic mountain adventure to some of the prettiest places in the county. We’ll provide the picnic lunch, you bring along your curiosity, sturdy shoes, and a wildflower field guide if you have one. Includes nature interpretation, transportation and a waterfall picnic you’ll never forget!

Mother's Day Brunch - Sunday, May 14 • 11 a.m.-3 p.m. What better way to say thanks to Mom than by bringing her to the Club for Brunch. Join us on Sunday, May 14 for some wonderful food, elegant entertainment, and of course, good company. Chef Greg will be preparing the following à la carte menu especially for Mom. In addition to the great food, we’re going to take a digital photo of Mom and the kinfolk and print it out for you as a memento of your day. As this is a popular event, you are advised to make reservations early. Call Ginger for Stayover details, 800-770-9055

Gourmet Golf at Mountain Air Country Club. Back by overwhelming demand is one of the standout events of 2005. Experience a four-course meal in grand style while playing a round of golf on the Austin Mountain Course. Join us for an appetizer and glass of wine in the Clubhouse, then tee it up on Austin Mountain 1. When you arrive at the third teebox, we will have a wonderful salad waiting for you, as well as another glass of fine wine. After a leisurely salad course, tee it up and head on out. You’ll start to feel a little peckish after a few more holes, and guess what, we’ll have a great entrée ready for you on the tee at number 7. Enjoy your entrée prepared and served tableside with another glass of wine while you luxuriate in the tranquil ambience that is the Austin Mountain 9. Once you have sated your appetite, grab your sticks and tee it up for the home stretch. Play out the course and then join us back in the Clubhouse for dessert, wine and coffee. For more information or stayover details, Contact: Ginger or Carolyn, Phone: 800-770-9055

[FONT=Verdana,Arial] Father's Day Cookout. What's better than a cookout on Father's Day? Join us for dinner at Orville & Wilbur's Bar and Grill on Junday for a great Father's Day Cookout. 5-9PM. For more information or stayover details, call Ginger at 1-800-770-9055. Contact: Ginger or Carolyn 800-770-9055, Contact: Ginger or Carolyn, Phone: 800-770-9055, Email [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial] Mountain Air Festival of Homes. Ready to build? Looking for decorating ideas? Want to hear from construction and design experts? You can find all that and much more at the Mountain Air Festival of Homes. On Saturday, June 24, the Festival of Homes will bring architects, designers, landscape architects and other professionals to the runway parking area, where they’ll set up informative exhibits and be available to answer your questions, give some advice or just get to know you. This long-running event has always been a highlight of the Mountain Air calendar, but it’s now even better than ever thanks to the many professionals who present valuable information during the Design Seminar. Come listen to these experts speak on a variety of home-related issues from site planning to decorating in an intimate and enjoyable atmosphere. It’s a rare opportunity to learn from the best of the best, and this year’s offerings promise to be helpful . . . and lots of fun, too! The Festival also includes a tour of some Mountain Air homes that not only introduce you to the beautiful environments that many residents have created, but may also spark your creativity and give you ideas to adapt and use in your own home as well. For Stayover details, call ... Contact: Ginger or Carolyn, Phone: 800-770-9055,[/FONT]

I'm afraid with a runway of that length at that altitude, even on a reasonable day, the runway's too short for either of my planes. Could probably land O.K. but would have to truck the plane to somewhere else to depart :p

Haven't really seen the runway, is there a long flat area at each end if I climb a little slow?
Stats:

Max take off weight at 5,000 feet; 25C Runway required is 4100 feet.

Best,

Dave

[FONT=arial,arial]Hi Dave. The 2875 ft. paved private runway is slanted a bit and, at nearly 4,400 ft elevation offers one of the most thrilling and beautiful approaches east of the Rockies. (Photo Attached).

Once you've parked your plane, it's a short walk to the clubhouse, pool, three restaurants and golf course.

Though I have seen planes similar to yours coming in and out at Mountain Air, I would not be the best judge.

My recommendation is to check with the Mountain Air Pilot Association or give them a call prior to flying in. Check their website at www.mountainaircc.com.

[/FONT]

Attachments

• Runway.jpg
    Runway.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 125
mountain hopper said:
[FONT=arial,arial]Hi Dave. The 2875 ft. paved private runway is slanted a bit and, at nearly 4,400 ft elevation offers one of the most thrilling
[/FONT]

I'll pass on 'thrilling' for all of my take offs, thank you very much.

smigaldi said:

I'm with ya Scott. Got all the thrilling takeoffs one could ask for in the military. Still remember leaving mountain tops in RVN in a huey and watching the ground beneath me rapidly dropping away. No problemo then; I was bullet proof (Until I was there 19 whole days, when one somehow found me!).

Best,

Dave

I've watched PC-12 take off there... It's kind of odd runway, flat at both ends with a hill between the flat parts, altho I think unless the wind is howling you land uphill and take-off downhill. There's a significant drop-off at both ends. I'm more fearful of the sight-picture on landing than take-off. I haven't had the chance to go out there yet in the T206H.

Here's the link for MAPA: http://www.mtnair.org/MAPA/
and webcams: http://wx.mtnair.org/cameras/

I've seen twins and others... taking off from RWY-32 is pretty much like a carrier take-off without the catapult. :-D

SUMMER ACTIVITIES: In July, Mountain Air hosts a ton of family oriented activities, including tennis and golf clinics, cooking schools and whitewater rafting trips. Friday and Saturdays, they offer "Family on the Green," which offers great fun for kids and parents. Orville and Wilbur's restaurant is open now and it offers great casual dining choices, right next to the pool. For stayover details, contact Ginger at 800-770-9055.

smigaldi said:

My one and only landing at Sedona definitely counted as "thrilling". I was VERY glad to have a local CFI in the right seat to talk me through it. It turned it into pretty much a "non-event". Take off is cool but, the sight picture on landing takes some getting used to. I would do this (Mountain Aire) with local help for a few landings before I just toodled in.

I'm a chicken, see my wings? :yes:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Beekeeping Tour at Mountain Air Country Club. Thursday morning we will be visiting Spicewood Farm, a third generation beekeeping farmstead located right here in Yancey County. The honey products harvested from thi farm are shipped all over the country. Contact: Ginger or Carolyn, Phone: 800-770-9055,[/FONT]

[SIZE=+3]Coastal Carolina Labor Day Beach Party[/SIZE]

Saturday, September 2
5 p.m. on the Slickrock Village Green • Dinner 6 p.m. - 9 p.m., Orville & Wilbur’s Bar and Grill

The Outer Banks, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Cape Fear, Bald Head Island, Calabash, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Charleston. For those familiar with the coast of North and South Carolina these names invoke a certain feeling. They create images of a casual, laid-back way of life; of simpler times and of friends and family getting together to share a meal, and talking long into the warm night.
Orville & Wilbur’s Bar and Grill will be the place to re-create those beach memories with a Coastal Carolina Labor Day Beach Party. We will be featuring Carolina favorites on the buffet from up and down the coast. Whether you love your seafood Calabash-style, or are yearning for some lowcountry cooking we will have you covered.
And a Coastal Carolina night just wouldn’t be complete without some beach music to dance the shag to. So join us on Saturday, September 2 for an evening at the beach with delicious food and music by the Tony Naples Band.
$45 per adult, children 5-12, $25, plus tax and service charge. Alcohol not included. For additional informatio, and stayover details, contact Ginger at 800-770-9055.

Our unit just came open for this labor day weekend. Call Ginger or Shari at 800-770-9055 if you have an interest in spending the weekend at this great fly-in country club.

My CFI told me that he would sign me off to any airport I wanted to go...

except for Mountain Air. He said I couldn't go there until I'd gone there with him. A few times. Needless to say . . . :no:

etsisk, thanks for posting your input to this thread. I know that the Mountain Air Pilots Association (MAPA) recommends that first time visitors fly in with an experienced pilot, one who has landed there before. The approach can be tricky due to the high altitude and narrow field. We hope that you have an opportunity to fly in sometime. The view is spectacular, especially in the Autumn season. Good flying.

Is this the same place that the AOPA picture of the month was from?

Yeah, that's it! Pg 68 September AOPA Pilot magazine - caption reads "Mountain Air Resort's 2950ft runway atop Slickrock Mountain, North Carolina, elevation 4919 feet."

Its an SR22 about 10 feet off the runway during landing on runway 32. You're getting press you didn't even know about :D

edit: After looking at your website, I'm sorry I dissed you earlier, that looks like a mighty fine place to do a fly-in.....

And yes, I know the website is designed to be flattering, but there's only so much you can fake...someday I'll make it out there.

Last edited:
Thanks for your nice remarks. I had not seen that picture, so I'm glad you pointed it out.

The fall colors are just beginning to show at the top of the mountain, and it looks like it is going to be a beautiful Autumn season up there.

By the way, some of you may be interested in hearing about the 9th Annual Mountain Heritage Festival, scheduled for Saturday, October 14 • 12 noon – 5 p.m. • Slickrock Village Green and Clubhouse • It is Complimentary for members and member guests. They expect approx. 30 local Artisans • Woolly Worm Races • Apple Bobbing • Pumpkin Decorating • Appalachian Entertainment and Much More.

For stayover details, call Ginger at 800-770-9055. Thanks again for your interest.

[SIZE=+1]Sunday, October 1 • 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Meet in the Falling Leaf Lodge
[/SIZE] Rev the engines on those hot sports cars and join us for the annual Mountain Air Sports Car Rally. Joe the Pro (our Tennis Pro) will lead you to the Country Club of Asheville where you will meet a representative of the Carolina Region Porsche Club who will be your guide on a fun, exciting drive. It’s a beautiful time of the year to roam around the mountains. In addition to stops for gas and lunch at the Grove Park Inn, a scenic tour has been arranged via Elk Mountain Scenic Road, the Blue Ridge Parkway and Tom Mountain Road. The Porsche Club representatives have designed a great day to be enjoyed for all! Maps will also be provided to all drivers.
Please call Ginger at 800-770-9055 for stayover details. We will meet in the Falling Leaf Lodge parking lot at 10 a.m., and plan to return at about 4 p.m.

The Nature of Golf - Friday, 10/20: 10 a.m. at Laughing Waters Nature Cove. What else lives around Mountain Air's golf course besides lost balls? Join us for a natural morning out on the golf course discovering wildflowers, birds, waterfalls, and whatever else we can find!
Joyce Kilmer Forest Trip - Saturday, 10/21: 8 a.m. at Laughing Waters Nature Cove. Don’t miss this chance to feel the magic of a primeval forest! A walk through Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, near Robbinsville, NC, is a journey back in time through one of the only stands of virgin trees in the Eastern United States. The magnificent cove forest shelters towering yellow-poplars that measure over 20 feet in circumference and stand 100-feet tall. The only way to explore this sanctuary is on the comfortable two mile, figure-eight Joyce Kilmer National Recreation Trail. Our all-day adventure will include a picnic lunch at Joyce Kilmer, and stops in the dramatic Nantahala Gorge for leg-stretching and dinner at Nantahala Outdoor Center’s River’s End restaurant. $20 per person includes nature interpretation, transportation and picnic.

I just noticed on the schedule of events that next Saturday is going to be a fun-packed day up at Montain Air Country Club. In addition to the normal nature hike and movie schedule, they have a special Halloween party and nght-time star gazing event planned for the day

The schedule of activities is listed below.

Ogle Meadows Hike, 10am
Laughing Waters Nature Cove

Slickrock Cinema, 2pm and 4pm

The Spirit of Old Salem Halloween Party
6-9pm, Clubhouse

Scorpio Star Watch, 8:30pm
Chautauqua Activity Room

Can we move this to the places to fly forum?? It tends to be SPAM in the classifieds area.

AirBaker said:
Can we move this to the places to fly forum?? It tends to be SPAM in the classifieds area.

No, it's spam period.

But, given that it's being posted by a human who is (now) following the RoC, it does fit here. If you owned an FBO, for instance, and posted about it in cool places to fly... Well, then it'd be spam.

Leave it here, or kill it entirely. (Or put "mountain hopper" on your ignore list like I did.)

flyingcheesehead said:
No, it's spam period.

But, given that it's being posted by a human who is (now) following the RoC, it does fit here. If you owned an FBO, for instance, and posted about it in cool places to fly... Well, then it'd be spam.

Leave it here, or kill it entirely. (Or put "mountain hopper" on your ignore list like I did.)

I agree 100% with you on this Kent. My ignore list has been updated similiar to yours and mountain hopper is on it.

smigaldi said:
I agree 100% with you on this Kent. My ignore list has been updated similiar to yours and mountain hopper is on it.

Duh, that works too. :)

Consider a pre-holiday weekend fly-in getaway Nov. 16-19. Mountain Air cooking school; learn how to assemble a gourmet holiday feast: Thursday 11/16, 10-noon. Wilderness Theatre: Friday 11/17, 3PM. Big Sky Hike: Saturday, 11/18, 1PM. Spa Chautaqua; winter is a perfect time to indulge in a Spa treatment: Sunday. For stayover details, contact Ginger at 800-770-9055.

VALENTINE SPECIAL: Stay FOUR NIGHTS and ONLY PAY FOR THREE NIGHTS. Stay Wednesday through Sat. or Tuesday through Friday at your option.

Pre Holiday Pampering at Spa Chautauqua: Treat yourself to a romantic, relaxing spa treatment. His and Hers manicure, pedicure, facial or massage, complete with relaxing hot tub and sauna.

"My Crafty Valentine" Great for kids of all ages. An informative and fun craft event on Wednesday at Club Chautauqua, complementary.

An Evening at the Bluenote, Valentine's Day Dinner: Enjoy dining and dancing with a panoramic view of the sunset as it paints the Black Mountains. A spectacular view from the Slickrock Lodge with an outstanding menu prepared by our own Chef Greg. Live musiic and entertainment makes for a special evening. Call for reservations at 828-682-5600.

Friday, Wilderness Theatre 3:00 PM: Laughing Waters Nature Cove. A wide variety of favorite selections from National Geographic.

Saturday, Slickrock Film Festival 4:00 PM: Join us at the Chautauque Activity and Fitness center for your favorite flicks.

For details, call 800-770-9055.

NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series

March 22-25 we are offering a NASCAR event special ... four nights for the price of three.

You can fly in to our private runway and arrange car rental through our concierge at Slickrock Lodge, or simply drive up to Mountain Air for a long weekend, capped off with NASCAR racing on Saturday and Sunday at the Bristol Motor Speedway.

Located just 90 minutes from the Bristol Motor Speedway, Mountain Air Country Club offers a wide range of amenities and services that can't be matched anywhere else in the area. Enjoy golf at one of the regions finest private courses, private clay tennis courts, a full service spa and fitness center or fine dining in the Balsom Lodge.

Call 800-770-9055 for details.

Mountain Air's Malarkey St. Patrick's Day Dinner (2NC0)
Come join us for a twist on the usual Irish fare. You will find an eclectic blend of international foods to enjoy and plenty of good beer and your other favorite beverages. Stayover Details, call Ginger at 800-770-9055

how much for a round of golf?
BTW, airnav lists the airport as a grass strip.

Last edited:
My In-Laws just bought a house close the here. (Marion NC). I will definatly be showing up (in the plane of course) to check it out and play a round this spring.

David, thanks for your inquiry. Green fees vary by season. Last I checked, member guests could play for $70. Nearby Mount Mitchell is approx. $50. Details on both courses are given below. Give us a call at 800-770-9055 if you are interested in staying over.

[FONT=arial,arial]With elevations up to 4,600 feet, you'll love playing our championship 18-hole course, the third highest golf course east of the Mississippi. Built on top of Slickrock Mountain, it's an immaculate course of 6,425 yards, par 70, and a slope of 134 from the men's tee. From highest to lowest point, the course drops a remarkable 900 feet in elevation. And from the emerald greens to the long lush fairways (the hang time on some tee shots is nearly 10 seconds), it's a course that always challenges and exhilarates.

For those guests who want to play a variety of courses, you will be pleased to learn that, in addition to the private course at Mountain Air, you can also play the public course at the Mount Mitchell Golf Club, just 30 minutes away. The Mount Mitchell Golf Club has been rated four and a half stars (out of five) by Golf Digest Magazine. It is a player friendly par 72, with no blind shots and scenery that makes it hard to keep your mind on golf. It features bent grass tees, greens and fairways. It is in the Toe River valley and is virtually flat.
[/FONT]

Back