Motorcycle Peeps - what is this part?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
So I found an oil leak today in my race car, and I traced it back to the source, but I have no idea what the heck this part is that leaking...here's the stock engine photo:
nxs08gsxr1000.jpg

See that black thing in the front with the silver bolts? There's a dent in there and oil is coming out of it, so I assume its cracked. Any clue what that part is called?

If it helps, its a 2006 GSXR-1000 motor.

Crankcase cover. It's on the side when it's in the bike.

Unfortunately, in its current position, looks like I gotta pull the motor to remove it (its turned 90 degrees when installed in my car.

Boo. Looks like an easy fix on a motorcycle :)

Actually, just to make double sure - this is a pic straight from my car....still look like the crankcase cover?
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20140830_205414.jpg
    20140830_205414.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 414
What the other guy said

Was the bike laid down before you bought the engine?

What the other guy said

Was the bike laid down before you bought the engine?

No clue, unfortunately, I bought the car with the engine in it. I'd think, most likely, that a previous racing wreck or any number of the rocks that get kicked up during a race could have done it also.

Any gotchas in replacing the crankcase cover? Seems pretty straightforward - just a bunch of bolts, no?

It's the crankcase cover all right.

Be very careful when pulling the bolts off- 1 is longer than the others and it has to go back into a specific hole that you can't differentiate unless you marked it beforehand. And you'll need a new gasket, don't try and reuse the old one.

Schematic Diagrams with part numbers are available on bikebandit.com

Easy to swap. If the engine has to come out some jb weld might get you through the season.

It's the crankcase cover all right.

Be very careful when pulling the bolts off- 1 is longer than the others and it has to go back into a specific hole that you can't differentiate unless you marked it beforehand. And you'll need a new gasket, don't try and reuse the old one.

Schematic Diagrams with part numbers are available on bikebandit.com

I can't seem to find a "crankcase cover" for this bike aside from the schematic...does it have any other names that might be the same thing?

No clue, unfortunately, I bought the car with the engine in it. I'd think, most likely, that a previous racing wreck or any number of the rocks that get kicked up during a race could have done it also.

Any gotchas in replacing the crankcase cover? Seems pretty straightforward - just a bunch of bolts, no?

Not really, did it on a Yamaha R1, straight forward, get gasket, yamabond on both sides of the gasket, torqued to spec, no biggie.

Try to download the service manual for the bike that engine came out of.

Yep - that's the part! I guess its also called a "Stator Cover" in some places?? Seems bizarre to have so many different names for the same thing, but I'm guessing it covers multiple parts, right?

Yep - that's the part! I guess its also called a "Stator Cover" in some places?? Seems bizarre to have so many different names for the same thing, but I'm guessing it covers multiple parts, right?

Yep, stator is basically just a generator.

Yep, stator is basically just a generator.

Do you race, James? It sounds like you know about racing (hence, the "jb weld until the season is over" comment).

edit: Actually, that wasn't you :) Still - thanks to everyone for the help. Warthog, I owe you a beer or two.

It covers the charging system.

Why does oil come out of it?

Good question! I don't know, I've never had one apart before. It may run wet, it may have a blown seal. I've not seen a wet one before, but I haven't worked on a motorcycle engine in several decades.

I get that, but I'm trying to figure out why oil would run through a generator...

It's not supposed to, unless the generator is cracked. As for why it'd be that near to oil- how else would you power a generator on a motorcycle except from the crank?

That makes sense. From reading that article, I couldn't tell if the generator itself was cracked or just the cover and whether just a cracked cover would allow a leak in and of itself ...

Guess I just gotta take it off and look. Luckily I found a way to get to it, but in gotta take off my firewall. Easier to do that than pull the whole dang engine though.

Ok...so last year I wound up jb welding it to make it through the season.

Now, it's leaking again, so I need to just replace it. I took it off, but the replacement part doesn't fit. I have determined that it is likely an 03-04 motor, not an 06 like I originally thought...

Anyone savvy enough to tell what year or part number I need from the below pics?

Attachments

• 20151121_135333-1.jpg
    20151121_135333-1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 52
  • 20151121_135326-1.jpg
    20151121_135326-1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 40

Now, it's leaking again, so I need to just replace it. I took it off, but the replacement part doesn't fit. I have determined that it is likely an 03-04 motor, not an 06 like I originally thought...

Anyone savvy enough to tell what year or part number I need from the below pics?

http://www.suzukipartsmonster.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3c93bf870021958f27e21/crankcase-cover

#24 Part #11351-18g10

$111.03

Looking at the first pic and the scratches... There is NO doubt the bike the motor came out of was laid down....:no:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1448150753501.jpg
    FB_IMG_1448150753501.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
  • FB_IMG_1448156838114.jpg
    FB_IMG_1448156838114.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
Looking at the first pic and the scratches... There is NO doubt the bike the motor came out of was laid down....:no:

Yep. I bet you're right. That's how we usually get cheap engines. Someone totals a bike and we buy the scrap.

Why do you assume its an 03? By the same logic you thought it was an 06 originally? Best way, I would think, is to see if you can get a look at a VIN somewhere on the engine. Then, based on the VIN, you can figure out what year it is and be certain that you ordered the correct part. I think it has been said earlier but, when reinstalling the stator cover, make sure you scrape the old gasket material off completely. DO NOT use a box-cutter blade or anything similar or you WILL scratch the aluminum (ask me how I know). After installing a new gasket, follow the maintenance manual in the proper order of reinstalling and torquing the bolts. If you do it in the improper order you'll probably see another leak prematurely. Don't be lazy and use a torque wrench to properly tighten the bolts.

Why do you assume its an 03? By the same logic you thought it was an 06 originally? Best way, I would think, is to see if you can get a look at a VIN somewhere on the engine. Then, based on the VIN, you can figure out what year it is and be certain that you ordered the correct part. I think it has been said earlier but, when reinstalling the stator cover, make sure you scrape the old gasket material off completely. DO NOT use a box-cutter blade or anything similar or you WILL scratch the aluminum (ask me how I know). After installing a new gasket, follow the maintenance manual in the proper order of reinstalling and torquing the bolts. If you do it in the improper order you'll probably see another leak prematurely. Don't be lazy and use a torque wrench to properly tighten the bolts.

I now assume it is an 03-04 because the serial number on the engine starts with T711. That matches to 03-04.

No VIN anywhere on the engine. That's all I can go by.

Any recommendations on how to remove the old gasket without marring the mating surface? I was going to use a razor blade, but it sounds like you may be recommending against that...

Yep, I figured that part out :)

That said, the dirt under my racecar Isn't supposed to be wet :)

It will get wet if you are the first heat out after they water in the track and you guys get to roll it in...:(...

That was one of the benefits of running sprinters, they always sent out the lower classes to do the dirty deed....

A real treat was when they would send out the powder puff gals,, Always fun to see a half dozen cuties get their pink drivers suits coated with mud...:redface:.......:D:D

It will get wet if you are the first heat out after they water in the track and you guys get to roll it in...:(...

That was one of the benefits of running sprinters, they always sent out the lower classes to do the dirty deed....

A real treat was when they would send out the powder puff gals,, Always fun to see a half dozen cuties get their pink drivers suits coated with mud...:redface:.......:D:D

Heh!

We have small wheels, and we don't pack the track very well alone. For that reason, they usually send out the stocks, trucks, late models and sprints, then use us to finalize the packing.

The few times I have had to pack a Virgin track I wound up with a few hundred pounds of mud wedged all over my car and spent too much time removing the weight before the heats.

Thankfully, we are rarely the first class, since we bring huge car counts. More exciting racing so we go later, usually.

Heh!

We have small wheels, and we don't pack the track very well alone. For that reason, they usually send out the stocks, trucks, late models and sprints, then use us to finalize the packing.

The few times I have had to pack a Virgin track I wound up with a few hundred pounds of mud wedged all over my car and spent too much time removing the weight before the heats.

Thankfully, we are rarely the first class, since we bring huge car counts. More exciting racing so we go later, usually.

Been there,, done that while running the "support" classes earlier in my career.....

If I had a penny for every roll of quarters I stuffed in local car washes after a night of racing..... I would own a fleet of G-650's..:yes:

I now assume it is an 03-04 because the serial number on the engine starts with T711. That matches to 03-04.

Any recommendations on how to remove the old gasket without marring the mating surface? I was going to use a razor blade, but it sounds like you may be recommending against that...

Loctite makes some spray gasket remover. Spray on, let soak, turns gasket to goo and can be scraped off with a plastic scraper. I used it every time I did a top end on my MX bikes as I, too, know all about why not to use a razor...

The nice thing is that you don't end up with all the little gasket shavings stuck in the crankcase too. Should be at any NAPA etc.

You might also check the aftermarket. There may be covers made to dress up the bike (billet, cast with logos, etc) that might be cheaper than an oem cover.

If you need a scraper on aluminum, a square edge on putty knife works well, some of the plastic ones are even hard enough to do it. A razor can do it safely, but requires care. The best way I know to clean a surface like that though is set a sheet of 220 on a flat surface then 'lap' the part on the paper.

Chemical removers like paint stripper work pretty well, but I avoid the glop when I can.

Been there,, done that while running the "support" classes earlier in my career.....

If I had a penny for every roll of quarters I stuffed in local car washes after a night of racing..... I would own a fleet of G-650's..:yes:

My first job in racing was scraping mud off of a sprint car on Saturday nights. I was fourteen. It was so long ago that crew uniforms were white pants and t-shirts. :lol:

I was on top of the world...working on a race car! I never considered I was the only one dumb enough to volunteer. :D

Absolutely recommend against that. Kragen, O'Reillys, Napa, etc should have gasket removers....essentially plastic spatulas with a thin edge that will let you get underneath the gasket and scrape it up. If its really stuck on there and starts tearing, you just have to keep at it. I've seen people use Goo Gone and the like, and that seems to work pretty well. As Henning said, mayyyyyyyyyybe a putty knife, but even with that, one slip and the edge of the putty knife can scrape the surface. If you're very careful, I'd use it as a last resort.

If you need a scraper on aluminum, a square edge on putty knife works well, some of the plastic ones are even hard enough to do it. A razor can do it safely, but requires care. The best way I know to clean a surface like that though is set a sheet of 220 on a flat surface then 'lap' the part on the paper.

Chemical removers like paint stripper work pretty well, but I avoid the glop when I can.

That's a great way to put small gashes in the metal that will, in turn, tear at the gasket and make it leak prematurely.

After cracking my 2nd cover, I put an NRC cover on and it's stood the test of a few more lowsides.

Back