Motorcycle Mayhem

Nice matching outfit!

Thanks. It's a Joe Rocket jacket. Basically body armor in a nylon mesh.

It's very comfortable, virtually indestructible, and the only thing I can wear down here in South Texas. Leather is unusable 10 months a year -- it's just too hot...

After 20+ years of Goldwings, I downsized to an '09 Honda Shadow Aero this past year. Much easier around town and a great commuter style bike. The granddaughter thinks she looks cool ........

Shadow.jpg

Anybody heading my way ought to stop at the Iron Pony for gear. Won't find good gear less expensive anywhere.

I've been riding continuously since the 1960s.
'64 Honda 90
'67 Honda 305 Dream
'70 Honda 350 (first NEW bike)
'66 BMW R/50
'63 BMW R/60
'58 BMW R/60
'74 Honda 125 dirt bike beater
'74 BMW R/90/6 bought new, now has 172,000 miles.
'75 Kawasaki KZ-400 still has only 11,000 original miles
'77 Honda Trail 90 all original with only 6,000 miles

I still own the last three listed and have been having a ball
with my most recent find, the Trail 90.
http://website.unclegeorge.operaunite.com/webserver/content/temp/honda.jpg
Have over a quarter of a million safe road miles and counting,
with 172,000 on the R/90 alone.

Keep the shiny side up, folks.

Last edited:
Currently have a 2009 yamaha fz6. Have had a 05 Kawasaki zzr600, and a Suzuki m109r prior to that.

I don't have any pics handy, but I used to be into British bikes, well after their time here had come and gone. I had a Triumph 750 Bonneville, and a Norton 850 Combat Commando, both set up as cafe racers, the precursor to today's sportbikes. My dream bike is a Ducati 1199 Panigale S.

Alas, I gave up my bikes when I started flying airplanes. I have to admit, bikes are more fun though.

Last edited:
I don't have any pics handy, but I used to be into British bikes, well after their time here had come and gone. I had a Triumph 750 Bonneville, and a Norton 850 Combat Commando, both set up as cafe racers, the precursor to today's sportbikes. My dream bike is a Ducati 1199 Panigale S.

Alas, I gave up my bikes when I started flying airplanes. I have to admit, bikes are more fun though.

Different, though I don't know about more fun. Way easier. I used to ride everywhere I traveled, but haven't done a big bike trip since I started flying.

Hi all,
I am a retired LEO SGT and was in charge of the Motor Unit/Emergency Services Unit. I have a pretty good collection of bikes including a 70 Triumph, couple of BMW's, Ducati, Goldwing and a 200 HP and 300 HP Turbo bikes.

HEY!! I recognize all those bike. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

DSCN0820.jpg

They all have a different purpose, and I ride them accordingly.

Ride safe,
Mike in NJ

Is that a Hayabusa? That there is a rocket ship to the moon my friend. Nice!

Curious as to why you decided to exchange motorcycles for airplanes? Or if there was a different reason that you gave up motorcycles when you started flying airplanes.

I started riding in college, and after moving to Williamsport gave it up for a couple of years. The primary reason (looking back on it) was that I still had my semi-reckless college riding habits, but was developing the sense to realize I wasn't immortal. I also had transitioned from riding in the flatlands to riding on twisty roads that have deer, gravel, etc. I've since toned down my riding to compensate, and am now happily back into riding.

I wouldn't call riding motorcycles to be more fun than flying (obviously a personal opinion). It's a very different kind of fun. What I love about flying is the mental challenge of keeping ahead of something traveling 200 mph or more over the ground, and keeping track of all the various weather and other issues surrounding the flight, and the like. Or sometimes just buzzing around low and having fun with that.

With motorcycle riding, it is very much about the journey as much as (if not more than) the destination. The mental stimulations have some similarities to flying, but to me are overall a different experience. What I love about motorcycles, though, is that they are an inexpensive mode of recreational transportation. The poorest fuel economy bike in the garage gets 40 mpg, and that's the Honda RC51 race bike.

The difference I find is that I don't fly for fun, typically. I fly because I have a job to do or someplace to go. My wife and I will hop on the bikes just for fun, though.

That looks like a turbo charged hayabusa.

I hope it doesn't have much turbo lag, cause when that thing kicks in.........

Look out!

I almost took the plunge again a few years ago. I test road a Suzuki SV1000 V-twin sport bike. I really liked the mid range torque.

I am scared of the Hyabusa, and I've had bikes since I was nine.

I hope it doesn't have much turbo lag, cause when that thing kicks in.........

Look out!

I almost took the plunge again a few years ago. I test road a Suzuki SV1000 V-twin sport bike. I really liked the mid range torque.

I am scared of the Hyabusa, and I've had bikes since I was nine.

Busa's a bit big for me, but doesn't scare me at all. It really isn't that much faster than my own liter sport bike, since it has to use that extra power to pull all that weight. After riding the 954rr, I'm not afraid of anything bike-wise.

I just don't have a mission for a Busa. A bike in that class should be a reasonably comfortable sport touring bike. Like my Concours, which is basically a detuned ZX14 with bigger fairings and a more upright seating position. If Suzuki made a sport touring version of the Busa I might consider it.

Some people use it as such but it was originally intended to be Suzuki's world's fastest production bike so they can say they had one.

I'm looking for a good second-first bike. I bit off a little too much for the first one.

I'm thinking of a Honda Shadow... any other recomendations?

Hi Jesse,

You are right, Stage 2 Turbocharged Busa. Made 331 rear wheel HP on the dyno, 208 MPH on the GPS.

TURBO.jpg

Dscn0362.jpg

Take care and ride safe,
Mike in NJ

I'm looking for a good second-first bike. I bit off a little too much for the first one.

Harley.

Quite a few, depending on the mission. But nothing at all wrong with the Shadow.

Quite a few, depending on the mission. But nothing at all wrong with the Shadow.

Good weather work commuter and twisy road fun. Would love to have it long trip possible (PA to Ohio and MI) but that's what got me into trouble last time when I picked out something too big.

Good weather work commuter and twisy road fun. Would love to have it long trip possible (PA to Ohio and MI) but that's what got me into trouble last time when I picked out something too big.

For touring a Shadow would require a good sized windshield, but they are not the best for mountain roads. The Susuki SV650 comes to mind as a nice bike that can be fun in the mountains but also be ridden comfortably for the long haul. I think the Susuki Bandit is made in a 650cc version that would do likewise. Yamha also makes an upright sport-touring bike, the FZ8, if memory serves.

That said, any of the cruisers will fit the bill as well. I think they do less well in the mountains, but perhaps better for the longer trips. I find myself no longer doing long motorcycle rides though. Why would I, I own an airplane.

I believe the weight would be an issue in this case. Even a Sportster is not lightweight. And, as Missa said, she got into trouble last time by picking something too big (and heavy).

We have a Sportster 1200 for sale, but I wouldn't recommend it to Missa - hence why I didn't try to sell it to her.

I believe the weight would be an issue in this case. Even a Sportster is not lightweight. And, as Missa said, she got into trouble last time by picking something too big (and heavy).

We have a Sportster 1200 for sale, but I wouldn't recommend it to Missa - hence why I didn't try to sell it to her.

I was joking Ted, but Missa doesn't get my sense of humor. :D

How about the new Triumph Bonneville? There not too heavy.

I was joking Ted, but Missa doesn't get my sense of humor. :D

Well, Harleys can make acceptable starter bikes in some cases. The Sportster we have for sale was my wife's first bike and it worked well for her.

I just think in this particular case, it wouldn't be a good idea.

Check the seat. The stock seat is a bit uncomfortable.

We got a couple bikes in the garage.

6 BMW's

7 Moto Guzzi's (not including the Stornellos)

7 Honda's

2 Kawasaki's

2 Suzuki's

1 Triumph

Pete's favorite commute bike:

CBR250R
3d51cb5d.jpg

The GS's headed through the Palouse for a weekend camp out in Idaho:
0516c707.jpg

One of my favorites, a '78 R45/N. Only one of maybe a half dozen in the US:
r45side.jpg

And my favoritest of all, because it does what I ask and has never let me down, my Honda Rebel, here at top of Beartooth Pass, heading from WA to WI (and back):

rebelbeartooth.jpg

Check the seat. The stock seat is a bit uncomfortable.

It's beyond uncomfortable. After a miserable trip to MN on the stock seat, I replaced mine with a Mustang solo seat w/backrest. Next trip to MN, I was able to do an 800 mile day and could still walk when we stopped for the night.

I started out on a Honda Rebel (which I still ride) but my 'step up' bike was a Shadow Aero. Can't say anything bad about it, except the stock seat is miserable. It gets decent mileage (mid 60's, unless you get a crappy batch of ethanol laden fuel and it'll drop to 35), ergo's are nice, and it fairly stable. To me, it was just like a bigger, somewhat heavier Rebel. Will do OK in the twisties, but not as much fun as a Wee Strom (or my hooligan Guzzi Scura). I have a barn door sized screen on mine, and while its nice, but it'll act like a sail in the wind.

I haven't ridden my Shadow in about two years. I feel kinda bad about that, but it's just not my style of bike any more. I'm hoping to sell it (and the Bonneville) as a Guzzi Centauro is calling my name. :)

It's beyond uncomfortable. After a miserable trip to MN on the stock seat, I replaced mine with a Mustang solo seat w/backrest. Next trip to MN, I was able to do an 800 mile day and could still walk when we stopped for the night.

Stock seats on motorcycles are uniformly awful, for reasons that escape me.

I always put Corbin seats on my bikes.

I've got an '07 BMW R1200GS Adventure and a '00 Aprilia RSV Mille R. One for the road trips and one for the track.

You use your GS for the track???? :D

The local Guzzi dealer had an RSV4 Factory in the showroom. The owner shakes the keys at me and tells me to take it for a spin. I laughed and declined, stating I would be "zero to dead" in about 4 seconds.

No fun riding something like that in downtown Seattle. No fun at all.

I love my Shadow 750, and everyone I know that has one also does. Low seating position is easy to stabilize at stops, nice and balanced and good for cruising. Also handles the twisties well when you dive into them. I did the MSF course on their bikes (honda rebels) and then bought this. Just as easy to handle but also good enough for me to not outgrow right away. Handled my wife and I too for a while, till she wanted something bigger, hence the Nomad :)

I have a Switchblade shield on it which can be taken on / off with the quick release system. Also changed out the stock seat for a Mustang Seat for a more comfortable ride. This would suit your riding except the long trips I'd say. Last summer I did 624 miles in two days on it (Home near KLOM to PA Grand Canyon, around the canyon, and back to home) and I was glad to be off of it. Of course, that was with the stock seat too.

Last edited:
I haven't ridden my Shadow in about two years. I feel kinda bad about that, but it's just not my style of bike any more. I'm hoping to sell it (and the Bonneville) as a Guzzi Centauro is calling my name. :)

Too bad you are in Washington. A little far for me to buy your shadow.

I've owned:
Virago 500
Honda CB500 (water cooled shaft drive cafe-racer style)
Virago 750.

I want a BMW R series tourer, when Ciara's a little older.

Last summer I did 624 miles in two days on it (Home near KLOM to PA Grand Canyon, around the canyon, and back to home) .

:nono: When you come to central PA, you are suppose to stop in Williamsport for dinner with the local pilots.

That's a trip in the thinking with my Wife on the Nomad, since Ted and his wife now have the big Harley too. Hopefully sometime this fall when we do a nice fall folliage ride. She doesn't like the heat of the summer on long rides and prefers the Air Conditioning of the car.

That's a trip in the thinking with my Wife on the Nomad, since Ted and his wife now have the big Harley too. Hopefully sometime this fall when we do a nice fall folliage ride. She doesn't like the heat of the summer on long rides and prefers the Air Conditioning of the car.

You know you're always welcome up here! We have plenty of room for you and your wife to stay, and plenty of room in the garage, too. :)

Back