Motor-Glider experience

Hippike

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hippike
Last month I visited my home country, Hungary.
I did some glider training with a motor-glider I have never heard about before: Scheibe SF-25 Falke

It's cheaper by the hour than regular gliders since you don't need a tow plane to take you up, it can go up on her own power, safer too, cause you can always go back to your departure airport and don't have to call for rescue crew from the middle of someone's barley field.

Once at altitude (about 6,500), we turned off the engine and were riding on thermals.
Budaors (LHBS) is the airport, one of many grass strips around Budapest, the capital city, where I had the chance to practice actual soft field TO/LDs in a C-172 the previous year.

The Li-2 (Lisunov - at the beginning of the video) that looks like a DC plane is worth another thread on her own. She is a legend and she is the only airworthy Li-2 in the world.... (well, maybe N.Korea has one but they are hiding it...)

What’s the situation with those Mig-21s? Are they airworthy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last month I visited my home country, Hungary.
I did some glider training with a motor-glider I have never heard about before: Scheibe SF-25 Falke

It's cheaper by the hour than regular gliders since you don't need a tow plane to take you up, it can go up on her own power, safer too, cause you can always go back to your departure airport and don't have to call for rescue crew from the middle of someone's barley field.

Once at altitude (about 6,500), we turned off the engine and were riding on thermals.
Budaors (LHBS) is the airport, one of many grass strips around Budapest, the capital city, where I had the chance to practice actual soft field TO/LDs in a C-172 the previous year.

The Li-2 (Lisunov - at the beginning of the video) that looks like a DC plane is worth another thread on her own. She is a legend and she is the only airworthy Li-2 in the world.... (well, maybe N.Korea has one but they are hiding it...)

Hmm, that is not what I imagined a motor-glider would look like. Seems like that windmilling prop would spoil the soaring, no?

Nice, I did a bunch of flying from Szatymaz last summer. They also had a Scheibe or two there. They used it on many mornings to get a local temperature sounding for the days forecast.

What’s the situation with those Mig-21s?
- I'm not sure but this is what Google had to say about them: "...were painted and had prosthetics attached to them so that they would look like USAF fighters. This fighter masquerade of sorts was for the production of James Bond SPECTRE..."

Seems like that windmilling prop would spoil the soaring, no?
After turning off the engine the prop stops windmilling within minutes.

did a bunch of flying from Szatymaz last summer.
wow, how come? Were you a tourist there or have you any roots in Hungary?

Motor gliders are really cool.

All sorts of interesting ones on Wings and Wheels.

- I'm not sure but this is what Google had to say about them: "...were painted and had prosthetics attached to them so that they would look like USAF fighters. This fighter masquerade of sorts was for the production of James Bond SPECTRE..."

After turning off the engine the prop stops windmilling within minutes.

wow, how come? Were you a tourist there or have you any roots in Hungary?

I was flying the 13.5 Meter World Gliding Championships there. We had a great time, flew 11 days out of 14. Generally good weather with challenging tasks. I enjoyed ~3 weeks in Hungary!

Back