Motion Sickness Remedies

BrianNC

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
BrianATL
My wife gets motion sickness real easy and it makes it hard for her to fly with me unless it is just glass smooth. I've seen some things like the motion sickness 'watch', etc. Do any of these things really work? Are there any sure-fire remedies?

The only one I know of for sure is Dramamine. A full dose has the drowsiness or "bonus squelch pilot iso" side effect - less noise in turbulence.

If you want to fly somewhere and need your wife to be conscious at the end of the trip, i've found that a half dose given 45 minutes before departure is still quite effective and the drowsiness is much more manageable.

Also don't ignore the instructions on the box to take dramamine before getting in the plane. It works well when the instructions are followed.

I have not had too much of a problem with people getting sick in airplanes but I have been sailing since I was 12 and i've seen lots and lots of puke! My brother was prone to seasickness and tried several of the remedies - including a battery powered watch thing - only one that worked every time was Dramamine.

Last edited:
My wife gets motion sickness real easy and it makes it hard for her to fly with me unless it is just glass smooth. I've seen some things like the motion sickness 'watch', etc. Do any of these things really work? Are there any sure-fire remedies?

I use the wrist bands. I get motion sick in simulators. Another thing I found out that works are taking a ginger tablet beforehand.

Also keep a box of mints and have her eat them along the way. Don't let her read and keep her looking outside.

Mythbusters did a show on this and came up with Ginger as a very effective remedy. I have not tried it but I did research it on the Internet and found mixed positions on the subject. But it might be worth a try...

In order of severity of sickness potential (least to most)-

1. Avoid greasy, heavy meal before flying (but don't fly on an empty stomach)
  2. Ginger snaps (any form of ginger)
  3. Wrist bands (acupressure point)
  4. Bonine, etc. (OTC)
  5. Scopolamine patch (Rx)*
  6. Don't fly
[List from my wife who is prone to get airsick (often).]

*Try on the ground first. May produce nasty side effects.

Sure-fire? Scopalamine patch
Works good - non-drowsy Dramamine
Works good too - let her fly the aircraft

You could also try chewing a piece of spearmint gum. I've given quite a few aerobatic rides and the people who wanted a piece seemed to have an easier time... not sure if it's the gum or a coincidence. But it was suggested to me by two other acro instructors.

Blunt force trauma applied judiciously to the head, marijuana, and Seroquel, independently or in a cocktail, any or all will relieve the nausea of seasickness. Outside of that, it's just hurl and go.

The surest way to cure seasickness is to find a nice shady tree and sit under it.

.....Works good too - let her fly the aircraft

I second that... I can fly through the worst turbulance and not get a hint of motion sickness... Let me be in the right seat and not flying and I turn green real fast... Funny how that works.:confused:

Ginger is good. People I've flown with have reported very good results from the ReliefBand, a device that zaps a nerve on the inside of the wrist - it looks like a watch.

This is one of the few cases where Ginger is better than Mary Ann.

My wife uses "SeaBands". They work for her. Find them a Wally World.

For most people anything they believe will work to prevent it will often work, for some people there is nothing but to just hurl for a few days until your brain finally calls uncle and disconnects from the eye for stability. Interesting aside to that, the day that happened for me was the last day I ever fell down. I don't know anyone who didn't get over it in3 days except one, and he was terrified of being at sea as well.

I second that... I can fly through the worst turbulance and not get a hint of motion sickness... Let me be in the right seat and not flying and I turn green real fast... Funny how that works.:confused:

Interesting question. Do CFIs have to deal with this on a regular basis?

(Or just the CFIs that fly with me?

She's the same way in a car. As a passenger she has the tendency to get nauseated and get a headache if you turn a lot, and no riding in the backseat ever. But if she's driving it doesn't bother her.

I get motion sickness standing in a simulator dome. I HAVE to hold on to the cab of the sim aircraft or ill want to fall over. Ha

Never got motion sickness any other time

I got pretty sick during my initial hours of primary. It was New England in the winter, gusty, windy, bumpy, all the maneuvers, stalls, steep turns made it worse. I'm sure my early tendencies to overcontrol and grip tightly made things worse. I had a few lessons where it was around 0.5 in the practice area before I was green and puking into the sick sack, the overhead blasting full winter air on me and I'm dripping sweat. My CFI would take the airplane, obviously, and take us back to Nashua. Sometimes I would be feeling well enough to do the landing, sometimes he did it.

I stopped drinking coffee on an empty stomach before flights. I started wearing the "relief band" thingy that shocks you. I religiously ate a subway sandwich and drank an entire Reeds Extra Ginger Beer before every flight. I sucked on gin-gins ginger candies while flying. And I kept myself well ventilated, communicated better with my CFI about when I needed a break in the pattern on a bumpy day (just a short taxi back with the window open when I get stressed). I also realized that I was getting dehydrated during the flight (probably with all that cold air blowing on me!) and started carrying a water bottle to sip from in flight.

All of these seem to have made a difference because I enjoy some good turbulence now and again, steep turns, stalls, etc. I generally do not have a problem. Ginger really works, by the way. IMHO better than the relief band (I have felt quite sick wearing it). The worst is if I am with an instructor and they are flying some maneuvers to demonstrate. Interestingly I never felt nauseous even slightly during simulated instrument flight.

I get motion sickness standing in a simulator dome. I HAVE to hold on to the cab of the sim aircraft or ill want to fall over. Ha

Never got motion sickness any other time

I know people who get sick in a static sim. If your body hasn't learned to disconnect eye from ear, you're at risk. Even after 25 years of it I'm not immune if we are pounding into the sea in a fat boat, but it doesn't last long, do a hurl and go and switch to Ensure, MetRx bars and high sugar dry cereal till we can get on a different tack or under a lee. You learn to shake it off, but it always involves hurling. If you eat bananas, it's not that bad.

Scopalamine.

It's what astronauts and fighter pilots take. They combine with with a stimulant dextroamphetamine to offset its slight drowsiness-inducing qualities - the combination is called scop-dex.

A passenger would just as well take only the scopalamine without the stimulant.

Scopalamine is what the NASA flight surgeon prescribed to those who flew on NASA's KC-135 Vomit Comet, when I took a ride a few years back. I was given a tablet, which I took about an hour before the flight. It helped, but I still barfed.

Scopalamine.

It's what astronauts and fighter pilots take. They combine with with a stimulant dextroamphetamine to offset its slight drowsiness-inducing qualities - the combination is called scop-dex.

A passenger would just as well take only the scopalamine without the stimulant.

Scopalamine is what the NASA flight surgeon prescribed to those who flew on NASA's KC-135 Vomit Comet, when I took a ride a few years back. I was given a tablet, which I took about an hour before the flight. It helped, but I still barfed.

Awesome! What brought you to taking a ride in that?

I read an article of a doctor doing experiments in the Vomit Comet a couple of years ago. I knew her as an undergrad in the Quad Cities.

Glad to see this thread -- we did unusual attitudes for the first time a couple of lessons ago. CFI had me head-down, under the hood, while he did some seriously uncoordinated jinking around. I don't generally have a problem with motion sickness, in fact no amount of buffeting and bouncing have made me the slightest bit sick. However, that just about put me over the edge. My major concern is that, if I should ever lose it in the airplane, it could never be made airworthy again. Trust me. I break blood vessels in my eyes when I puke. Aluminum? Ha! Ever seen where the alien spit burns through the deck in the movie Alien? We'd have to land, uncap the tanks, stuff rags in it and just let it burn.

I see that pretty much no medications are allowed for pilots. I'm going to hunt for some ginger something, watch meals before lessons and take some gum or mints or something.

I see that pretty much no medications are allowed for pilots. I'm going to hunt for some ginger something, watch meals before lessons and take some gum or mints or something.

Other things that you can do:
  • point the cold air vents at your face
  • dress lightly so that you stay cool
  • avoid moving your head.

I haven't observed Scopalamine be any more effective than anything else.

I haven't observed Scopalamine be any more effective than anything else.

Maybe dose and method of administering it has something to do with it.

On board the Vomit Comet, the flight surgeon stood by ready to give an injection of scopalamine to anybody who needed immediate relief, even though we had already taken the tablets. I foolishly tried to be tough, however, so I just asked him for more barf bags instead. They lend you a flight jumpsuit with lots of little pockets, and they show you where to store the barf bags, used and unused, in the various pockets.

When I was a deck hand on a diving charter, we always had sea sick divers or worse kid non-divers. For the kids, we'd give them something to do. We'd set the heading hold feature and put the kid in the captain's chair and tell him to keep the boat on a certain heading, of course the boat was doing it automatically but the kid did not know that. Cured sea sickness every time.
Might try giving her something to do that does not require looking down all the time.

I know people who get sick in a static sim. If your body hasn't learned to disconnect eye from ear, you're at risk. Even after 25 years of it I'm not immune if we are pounding into the sea in a fat boat, but it doesn't last long, do a hurl and go and switch to Ensure, MetRx bars and high sugar dry cereal till we can get on a different tack or under a lee. You learn to shake it off, but it always involves hurling. If you eat bananas, it's not that bad.

Reminds me of this story:

Bananas and Milk duds:
http://www.eons.com/groups/topic/624595-BANANAS-amp-MILK-DUDS

Interesting question. Do CFIs have to deal with this on a regular basis?

(Or just the CFIs that fly with me?
I am pretty prone to motion sickness but it's something I've (mostly) conquered. Sometimes if a student is heavily over-correcting and it's a hot bumpy summer day I'll start to get sick. Every time this has happened the student is getting just as sick and we're both happy to call it a day.

I have no issues in IMC - but I don't much enjoy hoods.

I always wondered if people who were prone to motion sickness in planes want to become pilots, too. How does that work? Haha

The only time in my entire life on any sort of moving transportation I felt kinda woozy was on a plane to DCA from RDU and I faced straight ahead on takeoff and a slight bank instead of looking out the window. It made me feel strange because I knew the plane was banking but I couldn't see it. I looked out the window - problem solved.

I always wondered if people who were prone to motion sickness in planes want to become pilots, too. How does that work? Haha

Bob Hoover claims that he taught himself aerobatics as a way to get over motion sickness. It seemed to work out well for him.

Note: I am not suggesting that learning yerself aerobatics is a good idea. Yes, it worked for Bob Hoover, but he is Bob Hoover - you and I are not.

Yes. A turbocharger.

That's a good point, I don't have one but for a trip of any length I always climb up to 7-12,000 feet. Burn less gas up there, nice and smooth with cool dry air. Funny but I feel that some new pilots are 'afraid' to climb up so high, I guess worried they will get stuck on top of some cloud deck, or it just feels funny being so far away from the ground..

Bob Hoover claims that he taught himself aerobatics as a way to get over motion sickness. It seemed to work out well for him.

Note: I am not suggesting that learning yerself aerobatics is a good idea. Yes, it worked for Bob Hoover, but he is Bob Hoover - you and I are not.

Ever consider why he is Bob Hoover and you're not?

'cause mom 'n pop Hoover picked 'Bob' and mine didn't? :goofy:

Actually sounds like it might work.

Back