Most embarrassing moment

Bonanza

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bonanza
At dinner tonight we were discussing embarrassing moments. I decided that my most embarrassing moment was when I was thirteen years old and was rushed to emergency with a burst appendix. In those days they used to shave you in the most intimate places for any surgical procedure. I was lying in the cubicle awaiting the dreaded moment when in walked my older sister, who was a student nurse, brandishing the razor. As if that wasn’t bad enough, being a teenager with hormones rushing through my body, during the procedure, nature took its course… I couldn’t look her in the eye for weeks.
What was yours?
Stephen.

well, that's the end of this thread... "first liar doesn't stand a chance!" ;)
Disclaimer: not calling ANYONE a liar...it's just an old hunting-camp phrase...

I'd say you win, Steve, no chance of topping that here

nope, that takes the cake. Pretty embarrasing Id say.

Let'sgoflying! said:
When exactly is it that our hormones stop raging?
Well, in my family, apparently it doesn't. My grandfather died after his fourth heart attack while actively dating three women...at 75 years old. We figure that if he had calmed down he probably would have lived another ten years...but they wouldn't have been nearly as much fun. :D

This one time...at band camp...

Ah, nevermind. Stephen wins!

Stephen pretty much wins. I couldn't think of anything even remotely
close to that.

I dunno--how about being 13 years old in the same situation, but having nothing to shave off?

Hope the nurse wasn't too nervous, hate to see the razor slip....Oy Vay call the mohel

corjulo said:
Hope the nurse wasn't too nervous, hate to see the razor slip....Oy Vay call the mohel

I've gotta wonder if the nurse/older sister was embarrassed as well. I'm also wondering who decided that the sister should have the "honor" of performing this particular task on her brother (might not have been her choice).

Bonanza said:
What was yours?

After a "memorable" landing observed by two old guys sitting on a park bench in front of the FBO I taxi up to the FBO. One old guys turns to the other old guy and loud enough for me to hear says "I never seen a plane bounce so high before, how 'bout you?". Old guy 2 says shaking his head with a chuckle "Nope, never.".

Len

No way to top that Stephen! How many years of therapy before you could talk about it? ;)

I think the next question for Stephen is: was that the most embarrassing moment, or, is it now: reliving it here and not having anyone else relate one single thing embarrassing?

Eight years old, I was forced by a bully at school to put my tongue on a frozen flag pole. I stayed there during all of recess, watching kids walk by laughing, then finally tore my tongue off. Left a big section of skin on the pole. Blah. I couldn't eat much for days after that.

Eight years later, I kicked the bully's butt in high school. I'm not sure who was more surprised: him or me. It finally occured to me that if I was going to get hurt, I might as well give something back. I had so much rage built up that it took three guys to pull me off of him.

No one bugged me after that. :D

I'm not sure if that's my most embarassing moment or not. It sure sticks in my mind, though.

Brian Austin said:
Eight years old, I was forced by a bully at school to put my tongue on a frozen flag pole. I stayed there during all of recess, watching kids walk by laughing, then finally tore my tongue off. Left a big section of skin on the pole. Blah. I couldn't eat much for days after that.
Did you get a red rider BB gun that year for Christmas? :D

Brian Austin said:
You lost me here. My first gun was .22. I skipped the whole BB gun thing. :)

Michigan residents play with real toys :D. We don't give wives/daughters stun guns when they are alone at night/bad area we just hand them the 45 and say happy hunting :yes:

For Brian's sake: The movie is "A Christmas Story" - circa the mid 1980's.

Brian Austin said:
You lost me here.

There's a movie that plays around Christmas time...the description of your childhood experience with the cold lamp post is very similar to a scene in the movie where the protaganist gets stuck to a cold lamp post. He receives a BB gun as a Christmas present that same year.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
There's a movie that plays around Christmas time...the description of your childhood experience with the cold lamp post is very similar to a scene in the movie where the protaganist gets stuck to a cold lamp post. He receives a BB gun as a Christmas present that same year.

Len
Ah...thanks for the clarification. Never saw it.

woodstock said:
I think the next question for Stephen is: was that the most embarrassing moment, or, is it now: reliving it here and not having anyone else relate one single thing embarrassing?
I must admit that I was kind of hoping to tempt others into sharing. We had a lot of fun at dinner relating things that we can now talk about but at the time .....
Another one of mine was when I got into my AA5 right outside the clubhouse with everyone watching. I started up, throttle forward for taxi and went round in a circle. I had left one tie down rope secured. Took me a long time to live that one down.
Stephen.

Bonanza said:
I must admit that I was kind of hoping to tempt others into sharing.

I'm sure I've had some pretty embarrassing moments (I doubt I could top yours though) but I'm very good at forgetting things I don't care to remember so none come readily to mind.

Okay... I'll ante up.

Vasectomy, clean shave selfinduced, VERY COLD WINTER DAY.

Did I mention the doctor's COLD HANDS!?!

lancefisher said:
I've gotta wonder if the nurse/older sister was embarrassed as well.

I was all poised to call a bs alert on this, sorry Stephen. But that sort of thing just would not have any chance of happening where I was, or am now including all the places in between - so you can understand my disbelief.
Either I, or my sisters, or my parents, or anyone else around would have said, NO WAY. 'We get another nurse or he shaves himself'. I appreciate the sentiment of the thread however.

Brian Austin said:
Ah...thanks for the clarification. Never saw it.
Just turn on TNT (the cable TV channel) on Christmas Day. You can't miss it. They run it back to back 12 times (24 hours of a Christmas Story). They've done it the last few years in a row. :hairraise:

Brian Austin said:
Eight years later, I kicked the bully's butt in high school. I'm not sure who was more surprised: him or me. It finally occured to me that if I was going to get hurt, I might as well give something back. I had so much rage built up that it took three guys to pull me off of him.

No one bugged me after that. :D

QUOTE]

And now Brian, in our PC society, you (as a high schooler) would be prosecuted and expelled, forced to seek anger management, and the bully would go on to terrorize his next victim. :dunno:
And your buddy, Charles Manson, would go on to have a great career in the criminal justice system. (Donk-Donk) (Noise from Special Victims unit show).
Eric
________
I-olite

Last edited:
Stephen has me beat still, but I think I can get close.

When I was a strapping young 16 year old, I was very into cycling - competed in a bunch of local races and stuff, had a promising future until a rugby injury put paid to the cycling :(

...anyway...

One day my buddy and I and our 2 girlfriends at the time went on a long spring cycle ride, probably 10 miles or so (long for them, a breeze for me), and after we saw the girls home, we went our separate ways. I sprinted the last mile home and sat down for the family meal. Well, it soon became apparent that something wasn't right, and things began to get painful...after about 30 minutes, I couldn't stand it, and had my step-father come look at my right-testes...which was now about the size of a softball. Being a man of few words, he yelled at mother to come see, and between them decided I should immediately go an see the family doctor (Dr Purvis...or Pervy Purvis as we used to call him).

It gets worse...

15 mind shatteringly bumpy minutes later, we arrive at Dr Purvis's house, who basically tells me to get them out for him to see while stood in the middle of his livingroom. He takes one look, and says "You have a torsion...you need immediate surgery. " Mother decided to drive to the hospital (about 10 minutes) rather than call the ambulance as it would have been a wash. 30 minutes later, I was in the operating theatre, snip, clip and stitch, all sorted out. (you can read about the problem at http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/testiculartorsion.htm - it's apparently pretty common)

Thats not the embarrasing bit...stick with it.

4 weeks later, I was required to go back to the hospital for a couple of checks, one of which involved providing a sample in a plastic cup to ensure everything was still operating properly. Of course, I had to collect and return the cup to a helpful volunteer nurse. She just happened to be my buddy's girlfriend. :hairraise:

Needless to say, such news was then impossible to contain, and school the next day was pretty horrific - my name didn't help matters much ;) Don't even get me started on communal showers after a surgical shaving...

SJP said:
He takes one look, and says "You have a torsion...you need immediate surgery. "
Steve, you have my sympathies. A buddy of mine from college had that happen to him. He said it was the most painful thing he'd ever experienced.

I guess it was embarrassing for him too because he had to wear this thing that resembled a diaper afterwards. We were cruel....

-Rich

SJP said:
Stephen has me beat still, but I think I can get close.

When I was a strapping young 16 year old, I was very into cycling - competed in a bunch of local races and stuff, had a promising future until a rugby injury put paid to the cycling :(

...anyway...

One day my buddy and I and our 2 girlfriends at the time went on a long spring cycle ride, probably 10 miles or so (long for them, a breeze for me), and after we saw the girls home, we went our separate ways. I sprinted the last mile home and sat down for the family meal. Well, it soon became apparent that something wasn't right, and things began to get painful...after about 30 minutes, I couldn't stand it, and had my step-father come look at my right-testes...which was now about the size of a softball. Being a man of few words, he yelled at mother to come see, and between them decided I should immediately go an see the family doctor (Dr Purvis...or Pervy Purvis as we used to call him).

It gets worse...

15 mind shatteringly bumpy minutes later, we arrive at Dr Purvis's house, who basically tells me to get them out for him to see while stood in the middle of his livingroom. He takes one look, and says "You have a torsion...you need immediate surgery. " Mother decided to drive to the hospital (about 10 minutes) rather than call the ambulance as it would have been a wash. 30 minutes later, I was in the operating theatre, snip, clip and stitch, all sorted out. (you can read about the problem at http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/testiculartorsion.htm - it's apparently pretty common)

Thats not the embarrasing bit...stick with it.

4 weeks later, I was required to go back to the hospital for a couple of checks, one of which involved providing a sample in a plastic cup to ensure everything was still operating properly. Of course, I had to collect and return the cup to a helpful volunteer nurse. She just happened to be my buddy's girlfriend. :hairraise:

Needless to say, such news was then impossible to contain, and school the next day was pretty horrific - my name didn't help matters much ;) Don't even get me started on communal showers after a surgical shaving...

ouch!

have you ever gotten into conversations with the folks who collect these specimens? they have funny stories. one told me about a guy who was carrying it back in and tripped. spew! (maybe not funny at the time).

Whats worse is all of you saying "Nope, Never been THAT embarrassed before!"

:)

rpadula said:
Steve, you have my sympathies. A buddy of mine from college had that happen to him. He said it was the most painful thing he'd ever experienced.

Another surgical proceedure a few years later came close, but I can honestly say, I have never experienced pain quite like it before or since. :eek:

Can't compete with Steve and Steve, but in the military the guys had a way of humbling folks that came into our combat unit with high opinions of their abilities before they proved themselves.

Was sent to the area new guys arrived in country to pick up a newby pilot that was to join our unit. The unit nextdoor had a fixed wing--Beaver I think? Had 'bout six or eight seats, high wing with big tires and a relief tube in the rear. CO sent me back in that plane to meet the guy and pick him up. Knew the pilots and they had some admin stuff to do there. So we fly to the processing point and cool our heals awhile until this new guy finishes processing. Now I was in F Troop 9th Cav and on my second tour in Vietnam. The guys I was with had been shot at quite a bit and were certainly proven vets.

We try to be nice to this guy and tell him 'bout the unit and area, but had a hard time getting a word in edgewise. He was a talker and started braggin 'bout himself and how he was going to really add to the unit. Army flight school didn't teach him much; he was a civilian pilot when he went to flight school and didn't learn much from the Army course, etc. etc. etc. Yak, Yak, Yak. So, we got real quit and just listened to him and when he finished processing, walked back to the aircraft. In my mind, I was just thinking what a hard time we were going to have getting this guy trained and part of the team; he need to quit talking an start listening if he was going to fit in an live.

Well, things were taken out of my hands pretty quickly. As we got to the plane and were plugging in our helmets, the newguy asked if we had a helmet for him. The aircraft commander turned around and said no, but he could sit in the jump seat in the rear and talk to us. He wouldn't be able to hear, but we could hear him.

As we're flying back to the unit I see the aircraft commander waive and shake his head a few times and didn't hear him on the intercom; so, I turned around and here was new guy bent over, yackin away into the relief tube :D We were a pretty stoic bunch, but it was all I could to to contain myself. The aircraft commander, copilot and I were grinnin ear to ear while looking forward so he couldn't see our faces.

So we land and it's all I can do not to start a belly laugh while we're shutting the plane down and the new guys comes up to the AC and says something along the lines of I don't think you heard me some of the time. The AC reaches down in one motion, grabs the aircraft log book, flips to the maintenance page we called the 'dash ten' and tells the guy to write it up!!

The guy carefully logs "passenger to pilot intercom inop". :no:

At the officer's club that evening, as new guy was socially introduced to the unit, the dash ten was proudly displayed. I'm sure someone 'xplained it to him (wasn't me) and it was proudly hung behind the bar for some time. He became notably more reflective over the next few weeks, and really fit in after awhile--good pilot--tough break in.

Best,

Dave

This wasn't embarrassing to me but Dave's story brought it to mind.

I was sitting in the flight planning area at Signature at Jacksonville, FL, KJAX, one time and there were some pilots of some F-something airplanes sitting there getting wx, talking to their pals on the phone, etc.

I went into the ladies' room (pretty evident by the sign and the presence of, ahem, "women's" stuff on the counter) and in a short while someone entered the stall next to me. I heard a man's voice say, "Wooo, some BAD stuff gonna start happnen' toNIGHT."

I said, "Ah, are you in the wrong bathroom or am I." I heard a quick "uh, oh" and departure. I never did figure out which one of the guys it was and no one blushed when I went back into the flight planning area.

Back