Most difficult thing in training.

In the past:-
PPL - Power on stalls in a 152. Spins.
Instrument - Correct entry to the hold. General SA with only 2 VOR's in the plane (don't rely on GPS)

Still being worked on:-
Multi - Simulated loss of engine just prior to Vr, VMC demo. Fuel Mgt.
Comm - Lazy eights on windy days. 8's on pylons.
Flying from the RHS.

- Tim

The most difficult thing for me was realizing that there is alot of work to be done in the cockpit. Many a time after flight training I would be drenched with sweat. Flying is not a passive thing its an active thing!

The radio was a very hard thing for me. It was mostly intimidation learning at Teterboro mostly during rush hour times, then having to deal with the NY approach controllers spitting out orders like an auctioneer. I got over it by just practicing at home. Now most other places are a piece of cake, cry in the Dojo, laugh in the battlefield. I do, however, find that it is the first thing to rust up when I don't fly for a long time. Which leads me to the second, or perhaps the most difficult part of training, not having the money to fly as much as I would like to. Still is a hinderance! :mad2: But I think I would need unlimited bread to satisfy my flying habit.

Hey guys...newbie here. Just found the website. Currently pre-solo, about 17.5 hours dual received.

Hardest parts for me

Landing is still the big one, actually just the flare. I have no problem lining up on final, even sideslipping into the wind...then the flare comes.:yikes:
I finally made what I consider to be my first decent landing yesterday. But I realized after it the reason I have had problems is that I am still staring at the touchdown point instead of bringing my vision up to look down the runway...kind of a lightbulb moment.

Other than that...S-Turns still give me fits.

Last edited:
Hey guys...newbie here. Just found the website. Currently pre-solo, anout 17.5 hours dual received.

Hardest parts for me

Landing is still the big one, actually just the flare. I have no problem lining up on final, even sideslipping into the wind...then the flare comes.:yikes:
I finally made what I consider to be my first decent landing yesterday. But I realized after it the reason I have had problems is that I am still staring at the touchdown point instead of bringing my vision up to look down the runway...kind of a lightbulb moment.

Other that than...S-Turns still give me fits.

Welcome!!!

Don't think "flare"

Think "Level flight 1' above the surface."

:smile:

Welcome jeremy. It will all come together and then from time to time it will fall apart again. it happens to all of us. Don't sweat it.

Welcome jeremy. It will all come together and then from time to time it will fall apart again. it happens to all of us. Don't sweat it.

That's a great point. I more than one lesson where the instructor probably should have taken time off my logbook rather than adding to it!

The most difficult thing for me has been the negative G maneuvers required as I've moved to higher category aerobatic competition. There's something about being pulled from the airplane at 5 times my body weight while thinking about my altitude, heading, energy management, and oh yeah, what's the next thing I'm supposed to be doing after I put my eyeballs back in. And it's not just -Gz - it's when you go from -Gz to +Gz after all those baro receptors have restricted the blood flow to my noggin to protect my brain. It takes me several weeks now after the winter down time to not see lots of gray/black and be able to keep thinking. I used to whine about memorizing stuff for written tests or flying partial panel instrument approaches. Now it's that period when I'm still bursting blood vessels in my eyes getting my G tolerance back that's difficult - especially when I remember how comfortable it felt last fall and how hard it is this spring after not flying much.

But you know what, I love every minute of it and there's no feeling in the world like being on your game whether it's finally getting a crosswind greaser, an ace on the instrument written, or a snap roll that seems to explode.

Hey guys...newbie here. Just found the website. Currently pre-solo, about 17.5 hours dual received.

Hardest parts for me

Other than that...S-Turns still give me fits.
your problems are common, and between the "lightbulb" moments and good ol' practice, it is also common for it to all come together. That revelation about landing is a small but important one... amazing how much difference it makes, isn't it?

Back