Most difficult landing

motoadve

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
motoadve
I probably have about 100 landings in this gravel bar by now, its always exciting , fun and challenging though.
Has to be no wind and lightweight airplane every time.
Take off turn confused some people, turn starts with rudder because its a 90 degree turn and its at low altitude, so I dont want to bank too much because there is risk to put the wing in the water.

Wow. What amazes me is that the trees appear to be much closer from inside the cockpit; the outside views don't look nearly as scary!

Cool video. I slip in a climb sometimes just to get the cowl out of the way for a couple seconds to look for traffic

Of course I have not been there and I know nothing about the landing area, but without any wind I would look at coming over that big open area I saw on the other side of the creek and land in the opposite direction. Takeoffs would go that way as well. All depending on wind.

And remember this is my thoughts based on what I saw on the video. I am not familiar with the landing area at all.

As for the turn, you seem aware of the possible problems with a crossed control turn at low speed and low altitude, so I have no problem with that.

Otherwise pretty cool landing area. I would love to go in there sometime.!! Thanks for the videos.

Nicely done - it's the kind of place that you have to know what is around the corner when you make the turn. Probably very nerve wracking the first time you did it?

Very exciting the first time, there was a bit of headwind 5kts if at all, which made landing from the other end a bit too challenging, did a couple of approaches and when it felt right I landed.

that's impressive...and the video is superb.

Infinitely beyond my skills at this stage, though.

Pretty similar to the typical sandbar landings I did in Alaska in a 185. The trees on the approach were right along the edge of the water, though.
I wouldn't take the chance of crossing the controls coming out though... The hard part is getting off the ground with 1,000 pounds of moose meat and a stinky hunter or two...
I would usually use the water to help slow down on the landings, too...

Do you use the stall warning as an airspeed / AOA indicator?

Do you use the stall warning as an airspeed / AOA indicator?
Well, since the airspeed indicator was bouncing between 0 and 40, there wasn't much point in using it. That's an issue with the STOL kits...

AoA indicator all the time, hardly ever look at the ASI

Back