"Mosquito Catcher" - Anyof you have any idea...?

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
So Celia finds an advertisement for this seemingly-magical device, the "Mosquito Catcher," in an advertising circular, and asks me: "Do these work?"

Naturally, I fire up Al Gore's Global Interwebs, and exercise a little Google-Fu, and readily find the device for sale and described, and the "How It Works" section could not be clearer:

State-of-the-art technology, combined with electronic controls, engineered to specifically attract mosquitos.

Glad we got that settled.

Then, I found a link to the Owner's Use and Care Manual, which is found at:

http://www.allpest.com/labels/mosquito_catcher_manual.pdf

That cleared things up nicely.

Still, I am a little vague as to whether, and how, these mystical, magical devices actually operate.

Are they just a box with a fan that sucks in skeeters who have the poor, yet random, luck of flying within 1.75" of the intake, plastering them against a small screen to buzz their wings until they finally expire from physical exertion and the hopelessness that comes from incarceration?

Or, are they exquisitely-engineered and cleverly-designed to take meritorious advantage of specific factors in mosquito physiology and (dare I say it?) psychology, to lure them from great distance to fly, happily and without the slightest compunction, to their mass death?

Something like this: http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/bug-off/229044/

So any ideas, suggestions, experience on this? As always, I like to submit ideas and inquiries to an extended network of educated, savvy and well-read professionals, but I decided instead to put it here.

Last edited:
I understand the ones powered by propane generate carbon dioxide that the 'skeeters are supposed to home in on (I don't know how well that really works).

But this unit isn't one of them. The instructions posted don't mention anything other than assembly and plugging it in- absent anything that causes any scent I tend to go with "bogus".

The NBC clip was cute- didn anyone else notice the "PilotMall" ad at the top? Probably because I clicked in from POA...

Attachments

• NBC.jpg
    NBC.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 8
heres what we use around this area Spike, think Celia would go for a dozen of these?
(credit wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Numida_meleagris.jpg)

ps if those electronic devices are like the flea devices (or rodent devices or groundhog devices) um "I have not seen any controlled studies to statistical significance, done by an unbiased party" (can you read between my lines?)

Attachments

• 800px-Numida_meleagris.jpg
    800px-Numida_meleagris.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 10
The $400-$600 propane ones use carbon dioxide and IIRC a bait that smells like fresh sweaty mammal blood to the critters.

IIRC you want to put it far away from where the real humans are, lest you put out a FREE BEER invitation to every bug within miles.

Like with bug zappers, there's no proof that even if you kill a million of 'em a minute it lessens the number of bites the nearby humans get.

It looks to me like this one is a cheap ripoff to look like the real deal. I'd save my money.

I'll use repellents like Citronella and such. I'll say "stay away (or "no tasty blood here") rather than "eat here!"

I got a few of these for cheap at Big Lots: http://www.offprotects.com/mosquito-repeller/

Last edited:
So any ideas, suggestions, experience on this? As always, I like to submit ideas and inquiries to an extended network of educated, savvy and well-read professionals, but I decided instead to put it here.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

What Mike said. Or buy some bats for your backyard (the winged flying kind)... Celia will think they are fuzzy and cute, and they'll both eat the skeeters and provide for a lively trick-or-treat experience for the kiddies come October.

Spike,

The only system that really works at all is MosquitoNix. It sprays a non-lethal (to humans) spray around the area to be protected. Crysanthemum oil, I think. Very effective, IMHE.

The MosquitoMagents and their ilk are effectively useless (those are the propane ones). They'll empty your wallet almost as fast as a swimming pool, what with the 'bait' cannisters, nets, propane, electric, etc. Friend of mine tried three in his yard to no avail. I had one of the small versions given to me when I was in SA - it did more harm than good, I think.

Mosquito Magnet went bankrupt, IIRC.

The only other thing I know of to use is DEET, and lots of it.

(As you may know, San Antonio is a mosquito problem. They're worse than Grackles. In the end, I used deet, though the folks I knew with MosquitoNix were pretty happy. MosquitoNix is sorta like TKS, where the propane-bait-suction-kind are more like waxing your wings to avoid ice. YMMV).

Oh. Bill reminded me. When we had the invasion of the body suckers after lotsa flooding last Spring I joined the neighbor and bought one of these:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200267974_200267974

It works great but the fog doesn't last too long. (Don't do like I did and read that you're not supposed to use the fat propane cylinders after I bough two of them. It still worked OK.) At least it let me go outside a few times. The advantage with the fogger is it also chases away whiny tree huggers.

I also bought and used lotsa Off! with DEET. As a reference point, when the guy came out to bury my cable TV line he almost took off due to the harrassment until I handed him some Deep Woods Off! with DEET.

I also bought and used lotsa Off! with DEET. As a reference point, when the guy came out to bury my cable TV line he almost took off due to the harrassment until I handed him some Deep Woods Off! with DEET.

There are two packaging alternatives for the Deep Woods OFF! One is 25-30% DEET; the other (1 oz pump spray) is a whopping 98.11% DEET with 10 hours of protection. The latter would be in my survival kit if flying in Alaska, for sure.

http://www.offprotects.com/deet/

Last edited:
Spike,

Kids in Park Cities had a mosquitonix at the old house, thought it worked but not 100% effective. New house has a loggia with screened openings. Much better.

Spike,

Kids in Park Cities had a mosquitonix at the old house, thought it worked but not 100% effective. New house has a loggia with screened openings. Much better.

Probably more cost effective, too; I was reading reviews on M-Nix where customers stated they were paying about $4K for the system installed and about $225/quarter to refill the tank.

There are two packaging alternatives for the Deep Woods OFF! One is 25-30% DEET; the other (1 oz pump spray) is a whopping 98.11% DEET with 10 hours of protection. The latter would be in my survival kit if flying in Alaska, for sure.

http://www.offprotects.com/deet/

More DEET is not always better. The gold seal, best of breed repellent is Ultrathon from 3M. A 3oz tube lives in my briefcase.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Ultrathon/Products/

I've used it backpacking, long distance cycling, kayaking, in a Brazilian jungle, and for a long night of enjoying my hotel balcony in Bangalore. It's a 33% DEET suspended in some sort of polymer mix that allows the DEET to be released slowly, over time. If you're looking for survival kit stuff, this plus a mosquito net is nearly a must.

Cheers,

-Andrew

here, this is the only thing that's going to work:

Attachments

• crop_dusting.jpg
    crop_dusting.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 11
More DEET is not always better. The gold seal, best of breed repellent is Ultrathon from 3M. A 3oz tube lives in my briefcase.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Ultrathon/Products/

I've used it backpacking, long distance cycling, kayaking, in a Brazilian jungle, and for a long night of enjoying my hotel balcony in Bangalore. It's a 33% DEET suspended in some sort of polymer mix that allows the DEET to be released slowly, over time. If you're looking for survival kit stuff, this plus a mosquito net is nearly a must.

Cheers,

-Andrew

...or simply re-apply DEET frequently.

I spray permethrin on clothing and stuff it in a bag a few days before heaidng into the backcountry. I've found the combination of permethrin on clothing and DEET on exposed surfaces is most effective against ticks and mosquitoes (just don't spray it on your skin), but is useless against black flies and horse flies (nothing is, AFAIK).

here, this is the only thing that's going to work:

These work pretty well:

flamethrower.jpg

...or simply re-apply DEET frequently.

I spray permethrin on clothing and stuff it in a bag a few days before heaidng into the backcountry. I've found the combination of permethrin on clothing and DEET on exposed surfaces is most effective against ticks and mosquitoes (just don't spray it on your skin), but is useless against black flies and horse flies (nothing is, AFAIK).

Of course, reapplication is best. But, as I've found, slathering up in my hotel room at 6am and not having to worry for another 8 hours is far more preferable than stopping every 1-2 (or less when sweating profusely) to reapply. This is especially true when I'm in a place like Brazil, India, and (now) Africa, where the risks are high but I need to be more focused on work than anything else.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Of course, reapplication is best. But, as I've found, slathering up in my hotel room at 6am and not having to worry for another 8 hours is far more preferable than stopping every 1-2 (or less when sweating profusely) to reapply. This is especially true when I'm in a place like Brazil, India, and (now) Africa, where the risks are high but I need to be more focused on work than anything else.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I sweat profusely in much above 80, so I have no choice!

I sweat profusely in much above 80, so I have no choice!

As do I -- and you can avoid sweating in a 130F production facility in the Brazilian summer -- and Ultrathon (the cream "military" version) is the bees knees.

Cheers,

-Andrew

As do I -- and you can avoid sweating in a 130F production facility in the Brazilian summer -- and Ultrathon (the cream "military" version) is the bees knees.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I'll have to give it a try!

I do get tired of the burning sensation on my neck re-applying DEET every hour!

I'll have to give it a try!

I do get tired of the burning sensation on my neck re-applying DEET every hour!

Yeah. The strong DEET concentration stuff turns my skin red and hot. I think it makes a smell that can turn off humans, too, but so does my normal smell. :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah. The strong DEET concentration stuff turns my skin red and hot. I think it makes a smell that can turn off humans, too, but so does my normal smell. :lol:

Stuff loaded with DEET was great in Kruger National Park in South Africa where malaria is endemic. Don't recall a single bite. Still took our pills religiously, too.

I used a DEET product so concentrated it melted plastic at Osh last summer, but I still got eaten alive. Never saw so many of the damn things.

I used a DEET product so concentrated it melted plastic at Osh last summer, but I still got eaten alive. Never saw so many of the damn things.

We joke about the mosquito being our state bird. We ain't got nothin' on Minnesota, though. Worst I've ever been eaten was St. Peter, MN. Twice, in different years. :hairraise:

Last summer was a particularly bad mosquito year, though - After the terrible winter we had, there was a ton of flooding in the spring, with water all over the place for the little buggers to lay eggs in. Lakes aren't normally too much of a problem because the fish eat a lot of 'em before they hatch, but there were so many small bodies of standing water during April and May last year that the mosquito population was very high - Probably the worst mosquito concentration we've had in 20+ years.

In fact, there was a story on the news last summer about a UW researcher who studies something to do with mosquitos and he sets traps in Warner Park to catch them. Normally, he gets 200-300 mosquitos in a trap over the course of a week. Last year, he was showing them how he caught 6,000 - in four hours. :hairraise:

Really, try the Ultrathon. You could swat the bugs out of the air in Brazil, and they didn't even bug me...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back