Mosquito Antics

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
This is for those experienced in aerobatics, or with a solid understanding of aerobatics:

My grandfather was a Mosquito pilot. When he would play around with other Mosquito pilots, they would chase each other in a circle, and pull back to stall, the plane would start to spin to the outside of the turn, they would stop the spin then chase each other in the other direction.

So if they were in a left turning circle, they would stall/spin to the right, then end up in a right turning circle.

My question is, what would cause the plane to start to spin to the outside of the turn? Would that be due to not enough inside rudde (a slip)? Or another way of putting it, if you stall perfectly coordinated, I believe you don't spin. If you are slipping or skidding, does that determine the way you roll when you stall?

Thanks!

Jesse

As I remember it, you are correct, a slip stalls the lifted wing first and a skid stalls the lowered wing. To spin to the outside of a turn, you would need to be skidding in the turn when you stalled the wing.

Steve

My grandfather was a Mosquito pilot. When he would play around with other Mosquito pilots, they would chase each other in a circle, and pull back to stall, the plane would start to spin to the outside of the turn, they would stop the spin then chase each other in the other direction.

That's called a 'vertical reverse'. It's basically a partial snap roll that allows the airplane to quickly roll into a turn in the opposite direction. All but the top modern aerobatic carbon fiber monoplanes have a snap roll rate that is much faster than aileron roll rate, so the vertical reverse is the fastest way to roll into a turn in the opposite direction in combat maneuvering. For example, with good technique, my Pitts will snap roll 3 times faster than aileron alone at typical snap roll entry speeds. Unless too much inside rudder is held during the turn, most airplanes will easily snap over the top in an accelerated stall. It doesn't really require a refined snap roll technique, just timing the opposite rudder and unload of the stick such that the airplane stops in the desired steep bank angle in the opposite direction. They're not doing a spin entry.

To spin to the outside of a turn, you would need to be skidding in the turn when you stalled the wing.

No, if you skid the turn, you'll snap in the direction of the turn. You'd apply a little additional aft stick and right rudder in a left turn to snap over the top to the right.

Last edited:
Video of this? onboard and from outside?

Back