MOS data online

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
When there is no TAF for a site, FF provides MOS data. Does ADDS or some other site also have this? wow we live in a world of acronyms. lmk if you dont get all those. sorry - 'Let Me Know!'

Be careful with MOS as it will very often miss fog events, and with it being just one model's take (in this case GFS) can really botch up the timing of precip to the tune of 6 hours or better with some systems (especially this time of year by the great lakes) as compared to a TAF which *should* be the best forecast of all the models and obs combined.

I like usairnet too. I started noticing the MOS in FF recently. It seems to be helpful, but has proven suspicious sometimes. I fly out of an airport that is not near a point of a TAF.

yes
"When there is no Taf for a site"
I know. What I'm saying is the quality is *significantly* less than a TAF, especially when tied strictly GFS which isn't good for near term forecasting like that, and doesn't have as tight of a grid resolution as other models.

Hotlinking this site sucks, but try this...

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/
Then click (and use both in your head) HRRR and RAP. NAM NEST is also a 3rd option.

If you then click All Products on the left you will find wind gusts, sfc vis, simulated radar, etc all on a tighter grid resolution and time refresh than GFS, giving a much better picture.

In the meteorology world we say GFS stands for Good For Shi.. :biggrin:

Thanks, Todd!

I know. What I'm saying is the quality is *significantly* less than a TAF, especially when tied strictly GFS which isn't good for near term forecasting like that, and doesn't have as tight of a grid resolution as other models.

Hotlinking this site sucks, but try this...

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/
Then click (and use both in your head) HRRR and RAP. NAM NEST is also a 3rd option.

If you then click All Products on the left you will find wind gusts, sfc vis, simulated radar, etc all on a tighter grid resolution and time refresh than GFS, giving a much better picture.

In the meteorology world we say GFS stands for Good For Shi.. :biggrin:

Back