More weather lessons

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Attempted to go home at 1930z and was enroute to the airport, I'm on the phone with FSS and the briefer tells me about convective activity until 8p.

I made the no-go. We will depart tomorrow morning.

I was slightly tempted to not call and thought I'd done my homework. It's obvious that I need more weather training and will give myself at least 1 more year before I allow myself that temptation again.

What weather product would have shown me what the briefer saw?

He may have been referring to a convective sigmet that your route was in.

Just called to get an outlook for tomorrow. Lesson: wait awhile (couple hours) before resigning for next day. We could have just delayed a bit, then launched.

Just called to get an outlook for tomorrow. Lesson: wait awhile (couple hours) before resigning for next day. We could have just delayed a bit, then launched.

VFR flying is tough no doubt and when there is convective activity around it's not even fun for the IFR guy. You made the best decision you felt you could. No use beating yourself up.

What was being depicted on the radar at the time of your departure? This is the "biggy" that I consider before launching. I don't typically cancel flights until it's pretty much time to launch.

Nothing was on radar at the time, Jesse

Scott- do you think well make it out tomorrow? KPHF-W00

Back