More tricks with the 530

Carol

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Carol
Not a trick as such. Just an type of approach I had not yet used it for.

I flew a few approaches today with my favorite CFII as safety pilot. It was sunny and clear here so of course the sky was filled with people doing just what I was :) I had flown an IPC with him in November but no approaches since then and I wanted to practice some GPS approaches.

One was a VOR DME or GPS runway 5 into KEHO. http://download.aopa.org/iap/20050217/SE-2/eho_vor_dme_or_gps_rwy_05.pdf

I set up the approach to use OCUJO as the IAF. Neither of us had used the GPS for an approach requiring flying of a DME arc. Man, oh, man. That machine drew the arc on the machine pretty as you please. I also set up the frequencies to fly it as a regular VOR DME to compare. Flying the pink line kept me exactly the right distance. What a sweet setup. Really was a workload reducer.

Carol said:
I set up the approach to use OCUJO as the IAF. Neither of us had used the GPS for an approach requiring flying of a DME arc. Man, oh, man. That machine drew the arc on the machine pretty as you please. I also set up the frequencies to fly it as a regular VOR DME to compare. Flying the pink line kept me exactly the right distance. What a sweet setup. Really was a workload reducer.

If it wouldn't make me sound jealous (pant, pant, drool), I'd say that sounds almost like cheating!

Good for you!

n741dm said:
If it wouldn't make me sound jealous (pant, pant, drool), I'd say that sounds almost like cheating!

Good for you!

Ya know, it sometimes almost does feel like cheating. :) But, boy, does it lighten the load.

I've thought that the perfect setup would be:
0) 2 430A (WAAS enabled)
1) GTX330
2) MX20
3) GDL 69A
4) S-Tec 65

I've only used King Silver... seems like there would be just enough room in your standard Cessna to put the above in. I would have to measure to be sure.

Last edited:
I think I'd go with a 530 and a 480, along with a nav/dme unit. Skip the ADF.

I'd sure like the redundancy of two different software programs, and the DME to back it all up when I'm flying out in New Mexico (or along the Chesapeake Bay) as the Military is STILL doing GPS interference testing.

I like the idea of having two different software packages (530 & 480), plus the 480 is already WAAS TSO'd. I like that the 530/430 both come ready with the 8.33 freq spacing and the "A" model offers more watts to transmit with.

I don't know how the 530's MFD functionality compares to the MX20. I've read that the MX20 pairs well with JeppView and does overlays really well.

n741dm said:

Good for you!

Now fly it with an STec 65 autopilot with GPSS roll rate steering. That really is cheating but it will fly the arc spot on the line and right down the final approach too.
Stephen.

Along the line of "cheating", my FBO has just acquired a C182T with a G1000 cockpit. I've flown this panel twice in the DA 40...wow! When I'm flush, I'm getting my IR in that C182. At 49 years old...why work harder than I have to? I need every advantage I can get.

Back