More than thinking-about Cat-swapping the Disco

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Ted, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Ted

Ted The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted

Display Name:

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    They’re still in fine shape. It was more just that if they were frayed or otherwise in bad shape they’d be much more likely to break.

denverpilot likes this.
  2. SCCutler

SCCutler Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spike Cutler
    So much awesome.

Ted likes this.
  3. MIFlyer

MIFlyer Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    MIFlyer
    Love this Ted!!!

Stop talking about the 6l80, you know you want a manual

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ted likes this.
  4. Ted

Display Name:

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    Right now the plan is T56/TR6060. I think that makes the most sense for a number of reasons.

MIFlyer likes this.
  5. Ted

Display Name:

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    Yesterday I played around some with getting the engine evaluated a bit. Mostly I got the top cover off the enclosure it's housed on, and also removed the hydraulic pump. So far I'm not seeing anything bad or concerning. Pulling off the oil fill cap and looking in at what I can see of the valvetrain everything looks good inside. No rust or the like.

Doing some measuring, it will be a tight fit in the Disco but I think will fit. The accessories will be a question, and the steering box looks like it may have some questionable clearance. However basic dimensions seem like it will work, and I don't think any of the challenges are insurmountable. I expected a body lift might be required, and I think from initial measuring I still think that's likely to be the case.

With the stock engine, the accessories are mostly mounted to the front of the engine. With this engine, they'll need to be mounted to the side without question.

I'm also likely to have to do some relocation of the oil filter and fuel/water separator as I think the stock locations will hit the frame, but neither of those are big deals to do.

6. Ted

Display Name:

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    The other day I looked at the C4.4 some more, and started trying to sort out the wiring mess they provided. While they didn't destroy the wiring harness, there are no instructions and they had just chopped off the wiring harness that had previously gone to the control unit. Nothing is well labeled.

I figured out the main power distribution on it, though. There's a big 50A breaker that feeds the glow plugs with a relay (activated by the ECU). On this setup, there was also an oil pressure switch that looked to be used to interrupt power in a low oil pressure condition to shut down the engine. It's not factory, and for how I'm going to use the engine doesn't make sense, so I'll be eliminating that.

The next thing I need to do is some pin-to-pin checks to see if I can figure out which wires go to which pins on the ECU and label accordingly so I can then work on the rest of the wiring.

denverpilot likes this.
  7. charheep

charheep Line Up and Wait PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    charheep
  8. Seanaldinho

Seanaldinho Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Charlie Yankee
    I'm of the same opinion, after rewiring a 72 VW Bug, I never want to do it again. I've heard good things about Painless as well.

9. Ted

Display Name:

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    In this case, I'm looking at the ECU wiring for the engine. Painless offerings don't help with that aspect. While there are stand-alone ECUs for diesels, there aren't many and it is a good bit harder to do than a gas engine. I'm far better off just trying to get the factory ECU working.

Seanaldinho likes this.
  10. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    I always liked buzzing out that stuff myself. Kinda just have to know what each circuit it might have and start with the most obvious stuff. Like Ted, main power first, then find the starter, then find the fuel pump... and figure out what is high current and needs a relay and what doesn’t... one at a time. Then sensors...

Tedious but usually not difficult and at least it’s rare to need a large persuasion hammer and penetrating oil and unreasonable amounts of heat and force to remove rusty things.

Will say that doing it on bigger trucks and such is usually nicer because auto engineers on cars like to route wiring where it’s nearly inaccessible. On a diesel like this one at least there’s usually room to get a hand in wherever the worst sensor is mounted.

Deboss Garage just did his video on almost finishing up the wiring on his Cat swapped man lift...

It’s all super sketchy and fun at the same time...

11. Ted

Display Name:

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    Personally I'm not a big fan of wiring work unless I'm in the right mood. It's something I have to be able to devote some time to without interruption and I have to be up for that kind of work. When I do and can just work on that, it can be semi-enjoyable and semi-relaxing. The wiring work on the Cobra yesterday, for instance, was enjoyable. When I can get a few hours in the shop with the C4.4, some masking tape, and a pen to mark all the wires, that'll be when I get that done. And once I have it figured out, I'll probably try to hook up some fuel and start the thing.

denverpilot likes this.
  12. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    No one at CAT can provide a pin-out?

13. Ted

Display Name:

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    I have a pin-out, but I need to 1) confirm that the pins match for the ones I can find (specifically the positive and negative) and 2) then find the cut off wires and label those so I know what they go to for the wiring to the vehicle.

SoonerAviator likes this.
  14. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Gotcha. I misread it as you trying to figure out each pin from the ECU and find out what it did with no reference points, lol. I figured someone had to have a wiring diagram from the ECU so that you could make a new engine-side harness.

15. Ted

Display Name:

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    Yeah, there is already a harness that I can work with. If not, I'm not quite sure what I'd do, but it probably wouldn't be anything with this engine.

At some point I'll make a video on this for my YouTube channel. I'm pretty behind on videos, but been a little busy.