More than just WAAS: 430W/530W

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
In reading some of the manual updates for the 430W, it appears that there's a lot more to the new boxes than just WAAS. For example:

1) Faster processor. Old position update rate 1Hz, new is 5Hz.

2) Advisory vertical guidance on non-precision GPS approaches

3) Holding patterns now shown in their entirety on screen (the full racetrack) and roll steering commands sent to autopilot.

4) Roll steering commands for procedure turns and HPILPT on approaches. That means that the autopilot will now be able to fly an entire full-procedure approach. Cool.

5) Parallel Track. We'd talked about this in a thread about mid-airs over a VOR - GPS is so accurate that it's negating the big sky theory over VOR's. Parallel Track keeps you away from the actual nav stations and airways. For instance, you can tell it to fly 1NM to the right of your flight-planned route. (It'll return to on-track for approaches.)

6) Terrain is now a standard feature (wish we hadn't spent 600 bucks on it in Oct. 05) and has higher resolution.

7) It does some new stuff with the KAP 140 autopilot, but as I don't use one of those I didn't understand completely what the difference was.

There's a bunch of smaller stuff too. So, it appears that the upgrade is a lot more useful than just allowing you to shoot different approaches. Excellent. :yes:

Neat stuff huh Kent! We are waiting to get ours installed; thanks for the update. I am reading there are still some glitches. Guess we'll see.

Best,

Dave

Does anyone know if the 430W uses a different database than the 430? (As in, should we be giving Jepp a call?)

Does anyone know if the 430W uses a different database than the 430? (As in, should we be giving Jepp a call?)
Yes, it uses a different database, and you should be giving Jeppesen a call. The unit will return from the factory with a database of the appropriate type, of course, but if you have a subscription, you'll need to call Jeppesen to cancel your old 430 subscription, and initiate a new 430W subscription.

Also, the navdata card for the 430W is higher capacity than the old one. If you have any spare navdata cards for the 430, they won't be useful in the 430W.

I've also "heard", but not from Jeppesen (since it didn't impact me), that the older PCMCIA style of navdata card programmers may not work with the new 430W navdata cards, you'll need the USB programmer.
-harry

Yes, it uses a different database, and you should be giving Jeppesen a call. The unit will return from the factory with a database of the appropriate type, of course, but if you have a subscription, you'll need to call Jeppesen to cancel your old 430 subscription, and initiate a new 430W subscription.

Thanks. I just got a message from our MO that he did it, so we should be good.

Of course, as Treasurer, my question is... Does it cost the same?

I've also "heard", but not from Jeppesen (since it didn't impact me), that the older PCMCIA style of navdata card programmers may not work with the new 430W navdata cards, you'll need the USB programmer.

Huh... Well, I guess it's a good thing we upgraded to the USB programmer about a year ago then. :yes:

Thanks!

BTW, have you had a chance to play with the 430W yet? What are your impressions?

Of course, as Treasurer, my question is... Does it cost the same?
The subscription is slightly more (of course). I don't recall how much, something like $50 a year or so.

My flying club's units are being upgraded now, so I haven't had a chance to play with it post-upgrade. Garmin has released an updated simulator, so you can pretend-fly some LPV approaches that way.
-harry

Back