More stress: ATC vs pilot

Velocity173

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Velocity173
Sniffing glue works well.... ala "Airplane" :D

That article is so bad I almost thought you linked to USAToday. ;)

"Most pilots have higher salaries than ATC. According to FAA (2012) the average commercial airline pilots received $US110, 000 per year. This shows that most pilots may have less worry about their financial problems and therefore less stress." uhhhhh sure.

Note that the writer referenced a 1994 study the most of all of them, and the only data mentioned from this decade was the salary? Haha.

Somebody had a "trash article" on their laptop so they had something to turn in to their editor on a Friday...

That article is so bad I almost thought you linked to USAToday. ;)

"Most pilots have higher salaries than ATC. According to FAA (2012) the average commercial airline pilots received $US110, 000 per year. This shows that most pilots may have less worry about their financial problems and therefore less stress." uhhhhh sure.

Note that the writer referenced a 1994 study the most of all of them, and the only data mentioned from this decade was the salary? Haha.

Somebody had a "trash article" on their laptop so they had something to turn in to their editor on a Friday...

The article is from New Zealand. Wasn't meant to compare pay, only the stress that controllers can sometimes experience.

Everyone experiences stress in ALL occupations. Especially that poor waitress trying to get her orders correct but somehow croutons just stresses her out. :)

Ultimately the pilot is the only one who, if he screwed up bad enough, has the toll of death on the table.

Ultimately the pilot is the only one who, if he screwed up bad enough, has the toll of death on the table.

Seriously? A controller wouldn't in the same circumstances, hell, anyone for that matter.

If the pilot screws up, the pilot dies.
If the controller screws up, the pilot dies.

If the pilot screws up, the pilot dies.
If the controller screws up, the pilot dies.

True but the controller would have to live with what he did also is what I'm saying.

True but the controller would have to live with what he did also is what I'm saying.
I agree and, in my opinion, a controller's job is far more stressful these days. We have the magenta line and and in some applications, FADEC.

The article is from New Zealand. Wasn't meant to compare pay, only the stress that controllers can sometimes experience.

Oh I noticed that also, which made the article even worse. The author was quoting US studies and pay grades because... Apparently he couldn't find them for his home country? LOL...

Or more likely... Like USAToday... It was just clickbait. He needed some topic that could be posted so he could head out for a game of golf. Haha.

Total slapdash web junk article not even looking at controllers and pilots in his own hemisphere.

I've done both jobs but would probably agree with more stress in ATC. Biggest stress I experienced at the airlines were those dang check rides every 6 months! ;):D

But really, a lot depends on the individual also on how they handles stress, and/or their tolerance for stress. In ANY occupation, including a housewife.

I've done both jobs but would probably agree with more stress in ATC. Biggest stress I experienced at the airlines were those dang check rides every 6 months! ;):D

But really, a lot depends on the individual also on how they handles stress, and/or their tolerance for stress.

Exactly. I use to stress traffic as a student. Once you're signed off, you hope to get on during the highest traffic. Some handle it fine, others, "I need relief."

Last edited:
Not really a fair comparison. Both jobs have stresses the other doesn't. Controllers are talking to multiple airplanes at any given time, pilots just have to listen for their call sign. Controllers get to go home at the end of their 8 hour day, pilots won't be home for 2 more weeks. Controllers are clearing you for the ILS in IMC while rerouting other traffic, pilots are the one's flying it with no visual references. This article is trying to undermine the sheer skill and attention that goes into both of these jobs. We may complain about each other all the time, but at the end of the day, I think there is a mutual respect for the other's job. I know I got a wake up call when I started working on my PPL.

Back