more scrapbook notes as a line boy cleaning bellies

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
I wanted to share some more line boy notes with you all, about working on the ground with pilots and planes. One of the worst jobs was cleaning bellies of twin engine planes.

The absolute worst belly cleaning job I ever had to do was when brand new Beech Baron owner landed his brand new 1962 Beech Baron on a runway that had just been blacktop. I was 17 at the time working part time at GAI when the Baron first came out. Well the new owner and new plane took off early to visit an airport down in VA that was sod and literally the day before had just been black topped. I will never forget when he came back for he flew with the gear down for he put so much tar into the nose and main wheel wells plus the belly.

My boss told me that I was the "kid for the job" In those days Carbon Tech. was still being used. Long story short I spend 4 days full time working on that Baron. I got to know every rivet, gear assembly and gosh knows what else The lead mechanic even tried Varsal. But it was 4 solid days of just working by hand to get the stuff off. I was very proud for I did not chip the paint. Interesting the owner never thank me or my boss. My boss did take me up in a Baron later and that is another story.

As a line boy working for flying hours and not much pay cleaning bellies you learn a lot about landing gears as you work. I find, today as I do walk arounds I still craw under the wings and nose to check the gear. Plus check the belly for excessive oil or anything that does not look right. I appreciate all those 4 years working and learning at the airport.

Thank you for reading

John J

"Thank you for reading," he says.

No, sir, thank you for taking the time to open this window into your past, which was for you at that time commonplace, and is for us in this time, fascinating.

Those are great to read!

Thank you,

Spike and Rudy;

Thank you both for your kind notes. I feel so lucky for I learned so much when I was working as a line boy. Also I am very happy to share stories and information for I know manykids today never get to learn flying, airplanes helicopters( I do have a notes about helping to clean and yes grease a Bell 47G) or what ever else flies and expecially small airports.

The reasons that kids today have a hard time working at airports is that one has to be 18 now. I was always "18" for three years but I looked 15. It was a great time.

Thank you

John

Back