More OSH '09 Pix & Video

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
I present, for your viewing pleasure, 200+ pix and several videos, all taken last week at Oshkosh Airventure 2009:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/oshkosh_2009.htm

Included in this collection is exceedingly rare, uncut footage of Jay, Mary, and Brian Douglas singing karaoke at a semi-respectable Oshkosh bar...

All I can say is "Never again!" Uff-da! :yikes:

Also, view pix from the world's only Fly-In Pool Party, and our Wednesday North 40 Party. Enjoy!

Hope to see y'all again there next year!

Last edited:
Found the pix, but where are the videos?

Jim

The vids are on page three or so. (Scroll down to the bottom of the first pix page, and you'll find the link to the next page...and so on...)

We actually got four or five women pilots up on Atlas' wing walk this year. (Remember when Margy, Christine & Mary started this tradition, back in '03-ish?)

My A&P just shrugged, and started thinking about a new boat when I told him about it...

:smilewinkgrin:

Jay, I posted this in a previous post, but wanted to be sure you got the message.

My brother and I got a late start out of TN on Saturday and then fought a 35-40kt headwind all the way through Illinois. When we realized that we'd never make OSH before the field closed, we decided to "divert" to somewhere that we might be able to camp for the night.....

So, we headed to Iowa City (only about 125 miles off the magenta line :) ). We landed about 8:30 and were treated VERY well by your staff. We knew full well that your place would be booked solid due to the pool party, but I can't thank you enough for letting us pitch a tent on your parking lot grass! We met a few of the folks at the pool party, but were a little too late to partake in too much of the festivities. Looks like a great party...will plan on making it in the future. We were on the ramp by 6:30am and gone before most of your guests were moving.

Once at OSH, we ended up camping about 400ft from you. We came by your plane 4 different times to try to catch you, but you were never home. We left out early Wednesday (work kept us from staying all week this year). I hate I missed the chance to say thanks in person.

Anyway, thanks for the hospitality. And for anyone wanting a great location to overnight in Iowa, check out Jay's place. Very nice hotel and great staff. We've been attending OSH since '86, but this was our first attempt at flying in, so thanks for making your place a great part of the story!

Jeff

Last edited:
Jay, I posted this in a previous post, but wanted to be sure you got the message.

My brother and I got a late start out of TN on Saturday and then fought a 35-40kt headwind all the way through Illinois. When we realized that we'd never make OSH before the field closed, we decided to "divert" to somewhere that we might be able to camp for the night.....

So, we headed to Iowa City (only about 125 miles off the magenta line :) ). We landed about 8:30 and were treated VERY well by your staff. We knew full well that your place would be booked solid due to the pool party, but I can't thank you enough for letting us pitch a tent on your parking lot grass! We met a few of the folks at the pool party, but were a little too late to partake in too much of the festivities. Looks like a great party...will plan on making it in the future. We were on the ramp by 6:30am and gone before most of your guests were moving.

Once at OSH, we ended up camping about 400ft from you. We came by your plane 4 different times to try to catch you, but you were never home. We left out early Wednesday (work kept us from staying all week this year). I hate I missed the chance to say thanks in person.

Anyway, thanks for the hospitality. And for anyone wanting a great location to overnight in Iowa, check out Jay's place. Very nice hotel and great staff. We've been attending OSH since '86, but this was our first attempt at flying in, so thanks for making your place a great part of the story!

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! I feel badly that I didn't get to see you at OSH this year, and I'm sorry we didn't have any room at the inn for you.

In future years, for future reference, we always come back to the site for "cocktails" after the airshow. We all sit around and watch arrivals and departures -- the "real" airshow -- while sampling the great beers that people brought from all over. Once you know the routine, we're pretty easy to find -- cuz we're very predictable. Stop by next year and join in!

We then usually toddle off to one of the nearby bars/restaurants for dinner, and -- if it's not too cold -- we resume "cocktail hour" back at the site after supper.

This year it was too danged cold for us to do the "late show" most nights, so we were often in the tent by 10 PM.

Hope to see y'all next year!

Thanks, Jeff! I feel badly that I didn't get to see you at OSH this year, and I'm sorry we didn't have any room at the inn for you.

No room at the inn? Hrm...guess I was in good company, sans the camels and manger :cheerswine:

I've missed you a few times before. 3 years ago (from the R.A.P. days), I walked from Camp Scholler for the Wednesday night party, but gave up at the end of Rwy 9, thinking that I should have already found you....but I just didn't walk the additional 500ft to find everyone.

Guess it's not in the cards! I'll try again next year!

No room at the inn? Hrm...guess I was in good company, sans the camels and manger :cheerswine:

I've missed you a few times before. 3 years ago (from the R.A.P. days), I walked from Camp Scholler for the Wednesday night party, but gave up at the end of Rwy 9, thinking that I should have already found you....but I just didn't walk the additional 500ft to find everyone.

Guess it's not in the cards! I'll try again next year!

Next year, let's set something firm up, eh? Obviously this "luck" thing isn't working so well...!

:thumbsup:

Only 50 weeks till OSH '10!

I wasn't able to make it this year due to the birth of my second child (daughter/Kate). Leaving my wife behind with a crying baby just wasn't in the cards. And while a P-51 is a welcome sound to wake up to, a screaming newborn at 5am isn't.

It looks like your campsite was (very?) near where you camped last year (and I think the year before that)? So I have to ask, how is it that you end up always at the same place? Do you have an "in" with the EAA volunteer flagpeople? Some sort of secret window sign, rudder waggle, etc?

I suspect that its just a matter of timing, that that's where you end up based on your departure time from Iowa City. I think last year I landed just a few hours after you did, but ended up maybe 1/3 the way down 9. But truthfully I'm hoping that there's some secret OSH taxiing procedures I don't know about. :)

Brian
N9093K

I wasn't able to make it this year due to the birth of my second child (daughter/Kate). Leaving my wife behind with a crying baby just wasn't in the cards. And while a P-51 is a welcome sound to wake up to, a screaming newborn at 5am isn't.

It looks like your campsite was (very?) near where you camped last year (and I think the year before that)? So I have to ask, how is it that you end up always at the same place? Do you have an "in" with the EAA volunteer flagpeople? Some sort of secret window sign, rudder waggle, etc?

I suspect that its just a matter of timing, that that's where you end up based on your departure time from Iowa City. I think last year I landed just a few hours after you did, but ended up maybe 1/3 the way down 9. But truthfully I'm hoping that there's some secret OSH taxiing procedures I don't know about. :)

Brian
N9093K

Congrats on your new daughter! Mary had to miss one OSH in the last 28 years, due to the late-arrival of our son. She was PIS*ED OFF. I, of course, had to "check-in" with her every hour or so, and be ready to leave on a moment's notice. This was in the days before cell-phones. Does anyone else remember pay phones?

Otherwise, I carried him in a backpack, then in a stroller. Then my daughter was born, so she was in the backpack, and he was in the stroller. Then we graduated to a covered wagon one year. I was never so happy as when they could actually WALK the grounds.

Now, I barely see them. This year Joe was with his girlfriend, and Bec was with her best friend. They grew up on the grounds in OSH, so they know where everything is as well as I do. They usually check-in when they get hungry!

Our arrival and parking location in the N40 is all just timing. We depart Iowa City at 10 AM on Sunday, and -- assuming no holds -- we will be parked in the North 40 almost exactly at 12 Noon. Given the usual rate of arrivals, this dictates that we'll be parked out at the end of RWY 27, which is exactly where we prefer to be.

It's sort of like fluid dynamics, with aircraft...

:)

I present, for your viewing pleasure, 200+ pix and several videos, all taken last week at Oshkosh Airventure 2009:

Included in this collection is exceedingly rare, uncut footage of Jay, Mary, and Brian Douglas singing karaoke at a semi-respectable Oshkosh bar...

All I can say is "Never again!" Uff-da! :yikes:

Also, view pix from the world's only Fly-In Pool Party, and our Wednesday North 40 Party. Enjoy!

Hi:

Re: The discussion of Airmaster vs C-195 on rec.aviation.piloting. I wanted to post the attached photo over there but apparently cannot do so. So here it is:

Dave (known over there as avlstrike@gmail.com

Attachments

• Airmaster on Floats.JPG
    Airmaster on Floats.JPG
    451.7 KB · Views: 10
Back