More on near vision....

T Bone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
T Bone
This is closely related to Bills' question, with a bit of a wrinkle. Also in my mid 40's and near vision is also degrading rather rapidly. The AME's assistant last year stated I was "nearing" needing reading glasses. Probably there now, and it'll be reflected on my next medical I'm sure.

I've heard of a process that I wonder if folks here are familiar with. While not Lasik, I think it involves lasers (or perhaps radio waves??) and can be used to correct defective near vision such as I have. Never needed any correction for far vision, I still pick out details (and traffic!) as well or better than most. Anyone know anything about this proceedure? Is it safe? Does it last, or can it be repeated? Thanks for any and all info.

I haven't heard of this procedure, but if it's some kind of refractive surgery (and it sounds like it is), then all you are doing is changing the distance at which your eyes focus for a given degree of accommodation, so whatever you gain in near vision will be at the expense of your far vision. Unless you are farsighted now, refractive surgery to improve near vision will make you nearsighted, and either way, once you lose your accommodation (as we all do due to age), you will eventually need correction for either near or far vision, or both.

Not an eye doctor, but I went through refractive surgery many years ago (duly reported to the FAA of course). BTW my RK left me with one eye not correctable to 20/20 - so I'll never be eligible for a 2nd class med cert. Before surgery, both of my eyes were correctable to at least 20/15.

Liz

Thanks Bruce, I'll research that. And Liz, thanks, that is stuff I didn't know! I'm not giving up quality vision I posess, to gain something I've lost. Okay then, readers it is! B)

I finally accepted the inevitable and had a pair of bifocal sunglasses made up. They work fine, I don't have to futz with mutliple pairs of glasses, etc. I tried progressive lenses at first, but the narrow area through which you can really see clearly put me off.

My only complaint about the bifocals is when flying a taildragger, especially the Extra. It's hard to taxi when you're looking through the near-vision section of the lenses. So I have a pair of all-distance correction sunglasses for those days (you can't read charts in the Extra anyway).

T Bone said:
Thanks Bruce, I'll research that. And Liz, thanks, that is stuff I didn't know! I'm not giving up quality vision I posess, to gain something I've lost. Okay then, readers it is! B)

Never, ever, have a surgical procedure for something that is fundamentally working as it is. Never, Never, Never. One in a million - well that one is totally ruined.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back