more notes from myold scrap book Early morning flight

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
I found some more notes in my books and logs. This one is quite recent. I wrote this under 4 years ago just before I moved back to my roots from New England with my last plane. It was a very special day and I am glad to share it with you

Thank you for reading

John

An Early Morning flight

The air is so fresh with the morning dew. Beech Debonair 9429S and I are out for an early morning flight to visit my son who lives on the shores of Connecticut. It is a very still morning at 0630. The air is so clear and quiet. The dew on the grass sparkles in the early morning sun. Norwood Airport is filled with wild life and airplanes that co exist very nicely. I can see the ring neck pheasants walking out near the runways, while the deer graze over by a stand of trees next to one of the runways. Fortunately there is a fence between the deer and the runway. The geese and ducks are practicing their early morning flying skills by doing splash and dashes on a pond near by It is time for me to get 9429S flying. I have goose bumps as I climb into the old Beech.

The silence is broken with the starting of the engine and it settles down to a nice loping sound. I call ground control; “Beech 9429 Sugar; the north ramp with “oscar”; ready to taxi to runway 35.” They come back and clear me to start on my journey to the runway. It is a great time for me to look out at the marsh and see all the birds getting up for the day; busy collecting food for their young. I run through preliminary checks as I taxi along listening to the engine making a wonderful loping sound. At the end of the runway I perform the pretake off checks. Controls free, trim tabs set, flaps set, run the engine up to check the mags and cycle the prop to check it’s range. Fuel selector set, gyros are fully spooled up and the list goes on. Once complete and I am ready I call the tower; “Norwood Tower, 9429 Sugar is ready for take off Runway 35; request a departure to the west” “Beech 9429 Sugar taxi into position and hold”, the tower responds. I taxi slowly out on the very end of the runway scanning for traffic in all quadrants. I feel my anticipation and excitement rise as I face down the runway. I find that I have never lost that wonderful feeling since my very first flight so long ago.

The tower clears me off and we begin to have another great adventure. I move the power up to where the engine is beginning to growl and release the brakes. As the plane begins to move I ease the throttle all the way to 100% power. The Debonair begins to surge forward with authority and purpose. The speed builds 40, 50, 60, and the controls are beginning to feel light to the touch. The Debonair comes alive and we are ready. 70 and 80 come fast and the plane’s nose lifts sniffing the air. Suddenly the rumbling of the tires stops and what a feeling of the wing is getting its smooth grip on the early morning air. More speed to 100 and a positive rate of climb and a new sound comes. It is the gear motor pulling up the gear. The air so smooth and 29S accelerates to climb speed of 110. The controls feel so light and responsive in the smooth buttery air. The ground falls away and we are now climbing over 1000 feet per minute. At 1000 feet I reduce power to 80% lower the nose so to allow the speed to come up to a nice cruise climb of 130 and we are still climbing just over 1000 feet per minute. The air is so smooth. The plane and I are one. We fly out over the towns and farms leaving the airport rapidly behind. I say so long to the tower as I level off at 2,500 so I can see the small towns and farms slide under the wings. At cruise now with the engine at 65% we are just loafing along at 150 feeling the early morning air. There is not a ripple of bumps; just silky smooth. It is a golden morning for a plane ride. The 90 miles go by very fast and it is time to land. I really do not want the flight to end for it is so smooth and what beauty seeing all the villages, lakes and woods looking so clean and still in the early morning. It is the beginning of a new day and I got to see it from the air. What a special treat.

I really enjoy these entries!

John J said:
What a special treat.

That it is... :yes:

You just reminded me of the early morning departures on the farm in NY with the dew running off the back of the wings as we take off then snake our way out of the valley into a beautiful New England morning with fog lifting off the ponds and rivers showing you where each one is above the valleys.

It's the good life...

Last edited:
Ben and Frank;

Thank you for your kind notes. Frank I use to fly over "UP State" NY and it is one of the most beautiful places to fly on a early spring morning. You descriptions of taking off with the dew on the wings is just great.

We sure are lucky to experience the beauty of flight.

Thank you

John

John J said:
Frank I use to fly over "UP State" NY and it is one of the most beautiful places to fly on a early spring morning. You descriptions of taking off with the dew on the wings is just great.

Those little moments are what makes the experience so great.
On the other side of the dew on the wings: Many a time I landed and flew the plane into the hangar among the assorted farm machinery that always hid out of sight under the cowling. I inched the prop closer and closer to the hard stationary objects to stop at exactly the right spot. After shutting down and putting the key on top of the panel (where it stayed because we always left the key in the plane), I would just sit there for a couple minutes listening to the gyro's spin down and feeling the stillness of the hangar and airport replace the airplane noises. That is the good life.

John J said:
We sure are lucky to experience the beauty of flight.

That we truly are.

Do keep the scrapbook notes coming. They're excellent. If you ever do publish a book, I can guarantee you'll sell at least one of them.

Last edited:
Frank;

Your note above is so wonderful; The airport where I last flew out of belong to a crop duster. He had an old Farm All Tractor to cut the grass. Sometimes he would be out there cutting grass next to the runway. What was so great was the smell of new mown grass on the rollout. I knew I was "home"

Yes I use to leave the key on top of the panel too.
I guess that when you grow up on a farm you always leave the keys on top of the dash or panel for the next person to use the machinery.

Great memories and I am working on this collection of notes.

Thank you very much

John

John,
You are an amazing writer. The way you put your words together make me feel as if I was sitting right next to you in the plane.

Awesome story once again

Best,

Rudy;

Thank you very much for reading. Flying stories are meant to be shared for we are so lucky to do what we loveto do as pilots.

John

Back