more notes from my scrap book; Mom's first x-c

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
Some more notes from my logs and scrap book

While celebrating Thanksgiving this week, I was rummaging around in my closet and found some slides that I took in October of 1962. Some of the slides were taken on a very special day when I flew my mother on her first "X-C" with me. I was a very slight 18 year old newly minted commercial pilot. It was a time that I will never forget.

Our little family had just lost one member and there were many life changes were going on at the time. I was working at the airport(GAI) and mom was working her way to become a research anthropologist. I wanted to give mom a real nice present for her birthday and also to help her have a change from work and studies.

My boss at the airport knew my mother had flown short hops with me before and he knew that she enjoyed it a lot. So he suggested one day that I should take her for a day trip to see the fall colors of the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and Maryland. It took me about 10 seconds to say yes to the ideal and I called mom up and asked her if she would like to see Monticello by air. She thought it would be great and that began mom's first cross country in a small plane.

The day came and the weather was made for us.A huge domb of high pressure that was hang around for a few days My boss gave me a well worn 1956 Cessna 172 to use for our flight. The engine was new thank goodness It had a lot of time and it was like putting on a well worn pair of shoes. The one radio was a 1956 Lear Omingator, which was the foreruner of the NARCO omingator. It had about 10 channels with whistle stop tunning.

Mom got in and her first comment was the view out front was the best. The early 172's had great forward visability. We took off from GAI and headed to CHO. I flew dead recogning and pilotage for the VOR part of the radio decided it wanted a day off . The fight was smooth as glass and the visability was well over 40 miles. We got to CHO in good time and the FBO gave us a courtesy car; a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker. He gave us directions and maps to get to Monticello. He did mention the car might burn more gas than the 172. Mom enjoyed it a lot.

It was a great day of visiting U of VA and Monticello. Time flew by and now it was time to head home. I wanted to time our flight so that we would arrive home just as it got dark for flying near the Washington,DC area at night is so wonderful with all the momuments lit up.

We took off just as the sun was setting behind the mountains. The 172 purred like a big old friendly tom cat as we flew into the darkening clear skies. We could see for miles. I had mom checking the time between check points with my stop watch,( I still have and use the watch today) We had a nice push from behind as we flew toward home.

Soon the lights of Washington were just off the right side of the plane. We crossed over what is now Dulles. It was still being built at the time. Mom was awstruck by the beauty of night flight. I looked over at her watching all the sights. She had some tears in her eyes as we flew to GAI. I asked her if she was ok and she told me; ' I know now why you love to fly, It is a wonder to be hold, that so few get to see specially at night" She thanked me for giving her such a special day and gave me a big kiss just as I flew over the airport. I made one of my best landings that night. Thanks to mom.

Thank you for reading

John

And the book is coming to print when...?

You made me cry yet again. Thanks for such great stories. I think we all have them but you have a GREAT way of telling them...

Jim G

grattonja said:
And the book is coming to print when...?

Jim

Thank you

I am working on it and I will get my spelling and grammer under control

John

Bob

Thank you

I am very lucky for I got to fly my mom and dad at a time when I was young. After dad died I continued to fly mom up until she had trouble climbing over the wing to get in the plane. Her last plane she flew with me was a Piper Turbo Arrow. I hope everyone can take their mom and dad flying It is great fun

John

Last edited:
John J said:
I am working on it and I will get my spelling and grammer under control

John, that's what editors are for. Start writing before your memory goes;).

I am very lucky for I got to fly my mom and dad at a time when I was young. After dad died I continued to fly mom up until she had trouble climbing over the wing to get in the plane. Her last plane she flew with me was a Piper Turbo Arrow. I hope everyone can take their mom and dad flying It is great fun

I wasn't flying when I was anywhere near that young, but I did get to take my parents flying several times as well as going up with them in their airplanes (they got back into flying after I left home). One of my fond memories is the time I took both parents up to Mackinac Island for lunch a week before my dad went into the hospital for an operation he never recovered from.

Lance;

Thank you

I am glad you got to take both your mom and dad flying. I am glad you got that special time with your mom and dad. It is so very special.

Amazing my dad came from Marquette, MI ( I know I did not get the spelling right). Dad took me to his birth place many years ago from Maryland. We flew in a North Central DC-3 to get there from Chicago. I was ten and still to this day still can feel the landings we made to get there.

John

Great Write-up John,

I am pleased to say that my mom now enjoys flying with me and is no longer scared. You have made me want to take my parents up all the time though
Thanks,

Rudy said:
Great Write-up John,

I am pleased to say that my mom now enjoys flying with me and is no longer scared. You have made me want to take my parents up all the time though
Thanks,

Lucky. Mine won't even come look at a plane; yet alone get into it.

I've flown with my dad twice. I don't really think he thinks I'm "good enough" so I pretty much avoid it.

John, it was a great write-up. It and Lance's comments made me remember the one time I took my father and one of my aunts up, only a few months before he passed from cancer. He was talking about it with his siblings for weeks afterwards. He loved the way he could see the vibrant red Wisconsin cranberry patches from the air. Coincidentally, the plane I took him up in was the same one I was flying in Florida when he passed there. If it weren't for that plane, I doubt I could have been at his bedside when he passed.

I was going to take my mother up at Thanksgiving this year, but she said she'd rather do a summertime flight. I think she wants the green :) I'm going to take her up as soon as she's in the mood!

Thanks!

Great read! Thanks for sharing.

I lost my Dad in 98 and Mom passed in 2003 but I sure do think of them both while taking lessons. Not to sure what they would have thought about flying, heck they both were nervous when I bought my first corvette :)

I can really relate to that look in yur mom's eye......I still cherish those moments when you can really see their pride shine through with them never having to say a word. I miss my folks...but there are so many great memories they live on each day in my heart.

I look forward to the next chapters you decide to share with us all.

jangell said:
Lucky. Mine won't even come look at a plane; yet alone get into it.

I've flown with my dad twice. I don't really think he thinks I'm "good enough" so I pretty much avoid it.

Jesse;

Soon with time your parents will want to fly with you all the time. When you take your mom up wait for that "perfect day" and give her a flight that is short and close to home. 15-30 minutes maximum.

Good luck

John

Rudy, Grant Ben and Gary

I cannot say thank you enough for your kind words. I really feel so lucky I got to spend the time flying my parents before they passed on.

Grant I do remember when I was 19 I threated to get a Corvette and my mother absolutly panicked. Now she had flown with me over 5 times by then.

Again thank you and I will write some more stories

John

Last edited:
Back