more notes from my old scrap book; First twin I got to fly

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
My son has always encouraged me to do something with my old scrap books and early flying notes. I use to let him read all of the stuff when he could read and he still to this day at the age of 25 likes to read them again.

The one story he likes is one where I got my very first first chance to fly a twin engine planewhich I have shorted here. It was owned by one of my mentors who was an A&P and ran a one plane charter business. I had just earned my commercial rating and Bob who owned the plane really encouraged me to fly.Bob was just over 50 at the time which was in 1962 I was very wet behind the ears at 18 but full of energy and wanting to learn so much.

Bob owned a Twin Cessna T50 Bob Cat or as we affectionately called it; 'The Bamboo Bomber" It was to me was a beautiful plane. It looked like a small version of the DC-3. Bob one day told me he needed to check out a new radio so he asked me if I wanted to go. Well after quickly asking my boss if I could go I was about to spend one of the most enjoyable 30 minutes ever. I had a great boss for he had been an airport kid himself.

Bob introduced me to the T50. Much time is spent on the ground to prep the plane. Checking switches to make sure everything is off. Then pulling the props through by hand to get the oil out of the bottom cylinders, also while doing this looking for excessive oil leaks. Draining tanks, climbing up to check the oil levels which was 20 quarts a side. Look for leaks and then finally get into the plane. I had a blast going through all the procedures. I felt like an early aviator climbing and checking the plane.

As we entered the cabin, Bob said take the left seat and I could not believe it he was going to let me fly this plane. We went through the start procedures and I still will never forget the sounds and smells of firing up the plane. The plane had the Jacob 300hp engines. Once started it was just music to my ears. Taxing at first I was intimidated but with Bob' gentle voice just talking me through ways and hows of differential power and lots of rudder movement we got to the end of the runway. Bob warned me about the brakes for they were expansion brakes which can lock up if they get too hot; so feet off the brakes as much as possible. Runup and finally checks were done and we are ready.

Taking the active I felt like Sky King. Bob really is going to let me do the take off. He just kept talking to me in a calm voice; "Tail Wheel locked, bring power up slowly and keep it straight' I just listened and did exactly as Bob said. The takeoff was great. The plane just lifted off without so much of a bump.

We flew out about 10 miles from the field to some power off and on stalls some easy turns, slow flight, gear and flap work. It was time to land and again Bob using his nice calm voice talked me through the landing. It was a picture perfect one not a hit of a bounce. The T 50 Bob Cat had a fairly long travel gear which was forgiving. Taxing back to the ramp I just listen to the engines lumping along. It was hard to end the flight for I felt on top of the world. :)

Bob later had me fly some runs with him in the plane. Every flight was filled with wonderful lessons and I will never forget his calm voice making my first twin engine flight work out so well. I still get goose bumps when I think about that day. It was almost as good as my first solo flight.:)

Thank you for reading.

John

Great write-up John,
It sounds like that was quite an experience. I can't wait to get my first ride in a twin.

Rudy,Ben and Jason;

Thank you. My son always has been telling me to do something with these old notes. He knows that I love to fly and I always appreciate everyone who I have flown with over the years. There is so much to learn and it is so much fun as well.

Thank you

John

John J said:
Rudy,Ben and Jason;

Thank you. My son always has been telling me to do something with these old notes. He knows that I love to fly and I always appreciate everyone who I have flown with over the years. There is so much to learn and it is so much fun as well.

Thank you

John
I really enjoy these, too.

Former airport kid.

That was wonderful to read. I felt like I was there, I even could hear the lumping of the engines as you taxied back to the ramp. Thank you for sharing.

Dr. Bruce,Lance,Richard and Dave;

Thank you very much for your notes; We all are in many ways are "airport kids" Every time a plane goes overhead I still got to stop doing what I am doing and look up and of course everytime I go past or near an airport I still get those great feelings of being near aviation and all that it brings. I still get the goose bumps and I still here those engines. I am always very happy to share flying experiences with you all.

Dave I did feel like Sky King that day.

Dr.Bruce I am still an "Airport Kid"

John

John, I too love these stories. When I read them I get a clear visual picture in my head of everything you describe. The true roots of GA. I am already hoping my 9yo daughter will want to get a job at the local field when she is old enough.

John J said:
Dr.Bruce I am still an "Airport Kid" John
It is partly what Michael Maya Charles calls "Beginner Brain". Wonderful to hang on to it :).

Adam;

Thank you for your note

When you daughter gets just a little bit older; just before the teen years have her come with you to see the airport crowd and stories that they share. I loved to hear the old pilots tell their stories. Later have her become involved with for example washing the plane or waxing a wing or two with some friends. Make it fun and educational.

Also sometimes if there is a local grass routes "Airshow" or "Fly in" close by. Take her and to see GA folks just having fun. That helps tremdously. When I was young they were much more common. I will write about one that I helped out with when I got started, soon. I would be glad to help out.

Dr. Bruce

Thanks again I feel I am very lucky to have these notes and memories.

John

You should have your own forum to ePublish these stories.

Jeffrey;

Thank you so much. When I look at my notes and my first log book it brings so many beautiful moments to me. They were and are very special times.

Thank you

John

The October 2005 (2004/2005) ASF calendar has a picture of the Cessna Bobcat.

Jeffery;

Thank you.

I still have a photo buried in my stuff of when Bob was teaching me to pull those props through to "clear the engines" It is an old photo taken in 1963. I will try to see if I can scan it and share it. At that time I was real skinny. I was 5, 10 and weighed just 120 .

They were fun planes to fly.

John

Back