More Newbie Q's - Mark Forum read

Dan Deutsch

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Danno
Ok - Another newbie question.
I click "Quick Links" - "New Posts" and seem to see all new posts.

I click a thread and go read it. I click "Quick Links" - "New Posts" and it takes me back to the list (I guess technically a search result) and the thread I just read is no longer bolded. So far so good and this is pretty friendly.

When I have read all the threads in a forum (Forum Support say) I then click in the right column on "mark forum read." It seems to mark the forum read and then take me to the forum "Master List."

Question - Is there anyway for me to configure the software to take me back to the "New Posts" search result instead?

My work around right now is to hold the shift key when hitting "Mark Forum Read." What this does is open the "Master List" in a new window which I immediately close.

Then I still have the old search results but I know that the "Forum Support" Forum is actually all read. Sometimes I will click "Quick Links" - "New Posts" after the "Mark Forum Read" and it will update the forum list.

Is this about the best way to do it?

Thanks!

Dan Deutsch said:
When I have read all the threads in a forum (Forum Support say) I then click in the right column on "mark forum read." It seems to mark the forum read and then take me to the forum "Master List."

Question - Is there anyway for me to configure the software to take me back to the "New Posts" search result instead?
If I change where the link takes you, it changes it for everyone, and unless the majority prefers this behavior, I prefer not to tinker with it further.

Then I still have the old search results but I know that the "Forum Support" Forum is actually all read. Sometimes I will click "Quick Links" - "New Posts" after the "Mark Forum Read" and it will update the forum list.

Is this about the best way to do it?
Just one suggestion...

You don't *need* to go through "Quick Links" to get to "New Posts". The New Posts links at the top of every page (and at the bottom of a thread, above quick reply) does the same thing.

New Posts bases its results on when *you* marked a forum read, so hitting New Posts repeatedly will not change unless either a) you mark a/all forum(s) read or b) someone posts a new post. No need to keep the old list around.

Back