More Memory

Painter1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike K
I have the iPhone 4S that is out of memory so FF doesn't update fully. I trimmed away photos but hate to dump all my music too.

What are you guys using to avoid memory overload?

I use a 64g iPhone myself. You don't have to dump music or photos if you use the cloud. Move them off the phone. You can still access them. If you need more storage and the cloud isn't the best solution, like you expect to be out of cell range, look into a bluetooth memory device like a LaCie Fuel. Store music, pictures, videos, etc off the phone and access them via bluetooth when you want them. Load movies and other videos onto the Fuel from your computer and watch them on the phone or iPad without using any of the device's memory.

On the phone I only install my State and the surrounding ones unless I'm going somewhere. Even with a 64GB unit, the time to download and install them isn't worth it on the phone. On the iPad, I install whatever I left turned on and limit the media.

On the phone I only install my State and the surrounding ones unless I'm going somewhere. Even with a 64GB unit, the time to download and install them isn't worth it on the phone. On the iPad, I install whatever I left turned on and limit the media.

This is what I do also. I will also do similar on my iPad, I only have what I need downloaded. If a trip comes up, I download what I need and the delete it after.

You can plug into iTunes and see what is taking up the space. I suspect your music and photos won't make a big dent, and that you might be surprised to find it's apps eating your storage. If you haven't opened an app in months, kill it. You can always re-download it if you find you need it. I'd bet just killing crap you forgot about will open several gigs.

I have the iPhone 4S that is out of memory so FF doesn't update fully. I trimmed away photos but hate to dump all my music too.

What are you guys using to avoid memory overload?
I can't look for it now, but didn't one of the latest FF updates claim that they reduced the amount of memory needed for updates? Perhaps that will help in this case.

My phone and iPad do it to, back the phone up and dump it. Takes about 2hrs and wifi when your done the device finds 3gb of unused space magically.

I'd buy a bigger MicroSD card to put in the phone.

Oh wait...

Same as the others, I just keep the local area on my phone unless I'm going somewhere. Check out the "pack" feature in foreflight, it will let you download just what you need for your planned flight.

I think I saw a way to delete the older versions of FF data?
Keep only the current one (with no backup)?

Could jailbreak the phone, get the SD card plug in and never need to worry about memory agai n.

One of my recent iPad updates managed to free about 5 GB of memory that I couldn't clear any other way. Probably something cached, but a welcome relief.

I don't know if you send or receive a lot of pictures via text but the phone does save everything. I'll go through my phone and delete old conversations every now and again. Even just the messages seem to take up quite a bit of space.

Back