More logging questions!

ChrisK

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Toph
(1) Over the weekend, I flew a FAR §61.65(d)(1) cross country of 1.6 hours. Upon landing, I picked up my CFII and we conducted 1.5 hours worth of instrument training and approaches (engine might have been off ~10 minutes).

Do I get to / should I log the 1.5 hours as a continuation of my XC?

(2) Last year, I received ~3 hours of flight training for high performance and complex endorsements. Should I be able to log this as PIC? IIRC, I don't have to be endorsed for the aircraft, just rated in category and class (type rating not required here).

I don't think either of these will cause much of an issue with training etc, but I am certainly looking to optimize my PIC and XC time to a certain extent. Personally I believe I'll exceed PIC and XC requirements regardless, but it occurred to me that I have no idea how to answer these questions.

(1) Over the weekend, I flew a FAR §61.65(d)(1) cross country of 1.6 hours. Upon landing, I picked up my CFII and we conducted 1.5 hours worth of instrument training and approaches (engine might have been off ~10 minutes).

Do I get to / should I log the 1.5 hours as a continuation of my XC?

(2) Last year, I received ~3 hours of flight training for high performance and complex endorsements. Should I be able to log this as PIC? IIRC, I don't have to be endorsed for the aircraft, just rated in category and class (type rating not required here).

I don't think either of these will cause much of an issue with training etc, but I am certainly looking to optimize my PIC and XC time to a certain extent. Personally I believe I'll exceed PIC and XC requirements regardless, but it occurred to me that I have no idea how to answer these questions.

1. No, not unless the training flight consisted of a landing >50nm away

2. Yes

Last edited:
There was some question as to weather the training flight was a "continuation of the cross country". I really didn't think it was, but I couldn't come up with a clear reason other than "walks like a duck".

There was some question as to weather the training flight was a "continuation of the cross country". I really didn't think it was, but I couldn't come up with a clear reason other than "walks like a duck".

No, it wasn't. You conducted an XC, landed, and started a new flight.

Back